Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
On my early 2008, it's clearly a different LCD panel, but I got a sheet from Apple repair center saying: 646-0458 Video Display Panel

looks like the surrounding aluminum border is the same (same exact dust spots that were on it before I sent it in).

Do you think they just replaced the LCD panel or the backlight also?

thanks!

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
On my early 2008, it's clearly a different LCD panel, but I got a sheet from Apple repair center saying: 646-0458 Video Display Panel

looks like the surrounding aluminum border is the same (same exact dust spots that were on it before I sent it in).

Do you think they just replaced the LCD panel or the backlight also?

thanks!

LCD panels usually, if not always, come with the backlight attached.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Isn't it strange they just replaced the display though? I thought they replace the entire top part, guess not!

crazyrog17

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Michigan
Isn't it strange they just replaced the display though? I thought they replace the entire top part, guess not!

I would assume that anything with a bezel that is separate from the lid's top would have it's panel replaced. To add to this, most displays who's panel is directly exposed.

It would be easy enough to separate the bezel from the lid, remove and replace the panel and reassemble.

The new Aluminum MacBooks and MacBook Pros are surely full-lid replacements because the glass is held on with adhesives and closed in an immaculate environment. It would be difficult, if not impossible to replace just the panel, not to mention the cost. They probably just recycle the materials.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I would assume that anything with a bezel that is separate from the lid's top would have it's panel replaced. To add to this, most displays who's panel is directly exposed.

It would be easy enough to separate the bezel from the lid, remove and replace the panel and reassemble.

The new Aluminum MacBooks and MacBook Pros are surely full-lid replacements because the glass is held on with adhesives and closed in an immaculate environment. It would be difficult, if not impossible to replace just the panel, not to mention the cost. They probably just recycle the materials.
I have always understood that the whole panel is a single part number. I had a MBP in for repair of the LED driver - this required the replacement of the whole display, top case and all. Given, I was in a faraway country, so maybe when they ship parts, they ship the display as one, but back in proper repair centres, they may stock individual components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.