Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:45 PM   #1
JustOneQuickONe
macrumors 6502

How do I print annotations

I took notes on my computer for my classes and annotated on the side. When I print it just prints as the actual slides I am annotating from with no annotations. How do I print with the annotations as well?

I have this and want it to print out like this:

but it will only print this:
JustOneQuickONe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:46 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

What program are you using? Keynote?
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:58 PM   #3
JustOneQuickONe
macrumors 6502

no, just preview.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 01:45 PM   #4
spinnerlys

Have you annotated a PDF document?

If not, you could try to export the annotated document as a PDF, and print that one, maybe even with Adobe PDF Reader or what's it called.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5
JustOneQuickONe
macrumors 6502

I downloaded the Adobe reader. I haven't tried printing yet but it has moved the annotations onto the actual slides which looks promising. The only problem now is that the annotation boxes don't show all of the text. They are like separate windows that you have to scroll down in to see all the notes. I can't figure out hot to maximize/stretch them to fit all the notes into the window. Any idea?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:28 PM   #6
JustOneQuickONe
macrumors 6502

So i was wrong about it looking promissing since the annotations moved onto the slides themselves, I tried to print even though I didn't get the above figured out and it doensn't print the notes still. Someone help...
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:46 PM   #7
HLdan
Banned

Okay, first, what program were you using to take notes? You can't take notes using Preview. What note taking software were you using? Second get rid of Adobe Reader, it interacts in a negative way on your Mac since Mac OS X is already PDF based, you will have problems with Safari and PDF's if Adobe is installed. Preview and Adobe Reader do nearly all of the same things but Preview offers more.
Please post back, maybe I can help.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:42 PM   #8
spinnerlys

^One can annotate / add notes with Preview.
http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/pdf_annotation.html
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:57 PM   #9
NewMacbookPlz
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Okay, first, what program were you using to take notes? You can't take notes using Preview. What note taking software were you using? Second get rid of Adobe Reader, it interacts in a negative way on your Mac since Mac OS X is already PDF based, you will have problems with Safari and PDF's if Adobe is installed. Preview and Adobe Reader do nearly all of the same things but Preview offers more.
Please post back, maybe I can help.
He was using preview to annotate already made .pdf files.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:33 PM   #10
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Yes, you most certainly can take notes in Preview; I do it all the time. The problem would be when your annotations are going beyond the printable range of the document. Sure, you can view it and scroll up/down to read/view the entire typed annotations, but printing might be an issue, since I believe it's operating on a "print screen" mode. I could be wrong, but that's been my short work history with your problem....
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:11 PM   #11
JustOneQuickONe
macrumors 6502

^^ That is exactly my problem. The notes/annotations won't go onto the actual pages/slides (pdf) They are beside them in a separate column in preview. When I print those annotations are oustide the print area and therefore do not print. The adobe reader has moved the annotation onto the actual slides, not into a coulmn next to them, but they won't print out and also won't show all the notes without scrolling through the annotation "window/box"
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:15 PM   #12
NewMacbookPlz
macrumors 68040

The reason they won't print onto the .pdf is because that would be considered editing the .pdf, which neither of the programs can do, in that manner. You'd need a .pdf editor, like Adobe Acrobat (the full edition) or something along those lines.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:49 PM   #13
JustOneQuickONe
macrumors 6502

there is no possible way to get them to print beside the slides or anything, or even separately? That just seems kind of pointless to me.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:40 AM   #14
ecume
macrumors newbie

convert annotations to permanent parts of the PDF

Hit print, then at the print dialog, find the special PDF menu at the bottom left of the window. Select 'save as PDF'. This will save a new PDF file with the annotations "baked in" which will then print on any computer with any PDF reader.
ecume is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook