Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Davy.Shalom
macrumors 6502

Post Your Damaged But Working Powerbook

Hey just wanted to see how these machines handle abuse. I don't plan on abusing mine, but I am thinking about giving my brother one, and he is careful, but sometimes slips.

I know the aluminum bodies aren't that strong, I've bumped my 12" into my car door, and it got a dent. Now I'm very very careful with it.

Anybody else got stories or pics?
Davy.Shalom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:26 AM   #2
alphaod
macrumors Core

My 12" PowerBook deformed when I installed a bottom case wrong

Torqued the screw too much.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 02:08 AM   #3
Taegre
macrumors member

Damaged, but working?
Hah! Have I got the laptop for you!

Meet Slacker:

He's 4 1/2 years old 12" PowerBook G4. He has a 1.33 GHz processor with 1.25 GB RAM.

His trackpad is broken due to a fight he lost with his power adapter and gravity:

But he likes his pet mouse, his operating system (Tiger) likes it. The power adapter succumbed to the ravages of time and had to be replaced with a cheaper 3rd party. The Plug-in bent itself out of shape over the old power adaptor:

He's busting out of his casing a bit, but thats just cosmetic:

He's got a few scratches and skid marks, but I say it adds character:

And, unfortunately, has lost two of his four rubber feet:

He has had two documented falls from over 6 feet, one onto concrete, but he only has one minor dent.

He has survived an Indian summer (100% humidity, 30+ degrees celsius), a Ottawa winter, a Montreal summer, and numerous trips to many places (US, Europe, Chile, Cuba, Hong Kong). He's very well traveled.

He's always had a variety of food eaten over him. A rather unfortunate accident with chocolate (which melted), but a Q tip cleaned him up.

And...He works just fine. He's still zippy, has never crashed, and has never had a system fail or malfunction.

I'm thinking of changing his name to Kal-El.

I will be terribly disappointed when he finally dies. I've been trying to convince my parents to allow me to repair the trackpad (using ifixit.com stuff), but they (and I) are worried that Slacker will never be the same afterwards.

Hope you enjoyed the story,
Nihar
Taegre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:47 AM   #4
TDM21
macrumors 6502a

I think Taegre wins.

The worst to happen to my 12" Powerbook was dropping my backpack in a parking lot. It was stored in a neoprene case, but that wasn't enough to absorb the shock. The front right corner is bent up a little, but I managed to work most of the damage out using a block of wood, hammer, and pliers. So now I carry my laptop in the neoprene case and a Targus backpack from Wal-Mart. The extra foam and air gap in the bottom really helps soften impacts.
Newton 2100
TDM21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:52 AM   #5
macrumors member

Nope, frankenstein wins:

Full disection, here.

Cheers !

Last edited by 2112; Feb 20, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Davy.Shalom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taegre View Post
Damaged, but working?
Hah! Have I got the laptop for you!

Meet Slacker:

He's 4 1/2 years old 12" PowerBook G4. He has a 1.33 GHz processor with 1.25 GB RAM.

His trackpad is broken due to a fight he lost with his power adapter and gravity:

But he likes his pet mouse, his operating system (Tiger) likes it. The power adapter succumbed to the ravages of time and had to be replaced with a cheaper 3rd party. The Plug-in bent itself out of shape over the old power adaptor:

He's busting out of his casing a bit, but thats just cosmetic:

He's got a few scratches and skid marks, but I say it adds character:

And, unfortunately, has lost two of his four rubber feet:

He has had two documented falls from over 6 feet, one onto concrete, but he only has one minor dent.

He has survived an Indian summer (100% humidity, 30+ degrees celsius), a Ottawa winter, a Montreal summer, and numerous trips to many places (US, Europe, Chile, Cuba, Hong Kong). He's very well traveled.

He's always had a variety of food eaten over him. A rather unfortunate accident with chocolate (which melted), but a Q tip cleaned him up.

And...He works just fine. He's still zippy, has never crashed, and has never had a system fail or malfunction.

I'm thinking of changing his name to Kal-El.

I will be terribly disappointed when he finally dies. I've been trying to convince my parents to allow me to repair the trackpad (using ifixit.com stuff), but they (and I) are worried that Slacker will never be the same afterwards.

Hope you enjoyed the story,
Nihar
Nah Taegre wins so far, but frankenstein is pretty awesome! Man that's really resourceful. Is it a TiBook 1 Ghz?

To Taegre, that powerbook is amazing. I have a friend who put his is a metal briefcase, then shot at it with a Colt .45

It survived, with a bullet stuck in the top left side of the screen, but works perfectly. Crazy, because I wouldn't ever shoot my powerbook. Well it was a cheap model anyway, 400 mhz.
Davy.Shalom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
mikes70mustang
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy.Shalom View Post
Nah Taegre wins so far, but frankenstein is pretty awesome! Man that's really resourceful. Is it a TiBook 1 Ghz?

To Taegre, that powerbook is amazing. I have a friend who put his is a metal briefcase, then shot at it with a Colt .45

It survived, with a bullet stuck in the top left side of the screen, but works perfectly. Crazy, because I wouldn't ever shoot my powerbook. Well it was a cheap model anyway, 400 mhz.
This is what ya call, carelessness after you get that first scratch and dont worry about keeping it nice, along with kissing goodbye a chance to sell it.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:25 AM   #8
winninganthem
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
Nope, frankenstein wins:
Holy crap that's awesome!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs