Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gh0001

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
hi, i have a jailbroken iphone 3g 2.2 (5G77), with firmware 2.28.00.

can someone let me know the best way to upgrade to a jailbroken 2.2.1 and then unlock? Do i need to backup my iphone first in iTunes to keep the apps?

thanks for the help.

gh0001

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
thanks guys. if you have a 2.30 firmware, how to downgrade it so that you keep the option of unlock open?

nowayjoze

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
thanks guys. if you have a 2.30 firmware, how to downgrade it so that you keep the option of unlock open?

I'd like to know as well. I'm selling my iPhone Edge to buy the 3G. If I buy a brand new one, it's gonna have 2.30 firmware. Is this reversible and go back to FW 2.80?

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
I'd like to know as well. I'm selling my iPhone Edge to buy the 3G. If I buy a brand new one, it's gonna have 2.30 firmware. Is this reversible and go back to FW 2.80?

Guys. You CANNOT downgrade the baseband (without taking the chip out at least, which can brick your iPhone). You CAN downgrade the firmware, but that is it.

If you get a new phone on the latest firmware (2.2.1), it will have the latest baseband. Meaning you can't software unlock. But most phones are being sold on 2.1 and 2.2.

If you're not on 2.2.1 yet, but you want to be and still have the option to unlock, use PwnageTool to make a custom firmware to update the firmware, but not the baseband. Enabling the soft unlock known as yellowsn0w :)

If anyone's on windows and they cannot get acess to a Mac to use PwnageTool, I have a custom IPWS on 2.2.1, but still with the 02.28.00 they can have. PM me if you want it. All you have to do if hold shift, then click 'Restore' in iTunes, and choose my custom firmware. This'll upgrade to 2.2.1, it wont update the baseband, and it will also install Cydia.

Oh, if you're on the old 'Edge' iPhone you can unlock on all the new firmwares ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.