Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Croatian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2006
Ontario, Canada
i have a eMac G4 and i have the eMac cds that came with the computer, but the cd rom doesn't work so i can't install the OS X on the eMac.

i used a firewire cable and connected my eMac to my MacBook (late 2006) using target disk mode, but when i put in original CDs from eMac into my macbook and click on install software it says it can't install this on the MacBook. I tried restarting the MacBook and holding options key and only thing that comes up is the HD (no cd)

What do you guys suggest i do to be able to put OS X on my eMac that doesn't have a working CD ROM Drive

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
The reason why it isn't working is because the CDs that came with your eMac are being placed inside the MacBook... and your MacBook knows those aren't the right CDs.

If the drive on the eMac isn't working, you could use target disk mode with an OS X retail disc (of Tiger or Leopard), because those discs will work on either machine. Otherwise, you'd need to get an external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.