Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:01 AM   #1
netdog
macrumors 603

Ripping SACDs as lossless?

Is there any way to rip an SACD and capture the enhanced audio on a Mac, storing it in a lossless format that iTunes can play back at this higher resolution?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Galley
macrumors 65816

AFAIK, there are no drives that can read the high-resolution SACD audio.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Sesshi
Banned

You can do what I do when I can't get dual-layer SACD discs. I jack my dCS stack's analog outoput into one of my Firefaces and record at max resolution (192/24).
Sesshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Jolly Jimmy
macrumors 65816

I suppose if you have the right equipment you could rip a SACD like you would a vinyl (in real time unfortunately)
Jolly Jimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:17 PM   #5
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

I'd love to find a way to convert DVD-Audio discs to Apple Lossless as well. Haven't had too much luck with it though.
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Teej guy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStorm View Post
I'd love to find a way to convert DVD-Audio discs to Apple Lossless as well. Haven't had too much luck with it though.
This is actually possible (as long as Apple Lossless supports 24/96 and 24/192.)

There are some Windows tools that will let you rip DVD-A discs. Unfortunately, since this is getting past DRM, it's actually illegal in the USA under the DMCA. I encourage everyone to do it though, as you've bought the content (and paid quite a high price when it comes to DVD-A). It should be yours to do with what you wish.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Julien
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post
AFAIK, there are no drives that can read the high-resolution SACD audio.
Also SA-CD uses 1-bit DSD which is totally deferent than LPCM. If you could capture the DSD stream it would have to be converted to LPCM before it could be imported into iTunes. I believe that iTunes only accepts up to 16-bit LPCM. So even if you could rip and convert the DSD layer the quality would not be any better (actually could be (theoretically) worse because of conversion) than just ripping of the Redbook layer.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 05:37 AM   #8
janstett
macrumors 65816

I recently discovered DVDA-Explorer (and this thread), I would have preferred to rip in 24-bit 96 or 192kHz (as the DVD Audio source dictated) in ALAC format, especially since my main music collection (CD based) is ALAC. However, despite claims that ALAC can support multichannel (> 2) audio, I was unable to find any way to produce one. Further, I could only create ALAC files with a max 16-bit sample size and 48kHz sampling rate. This caused me to go to FLAC for my high res & multichannel audio.

Can ALAC go beyond 16/48? And further, can it support > 2 channels? When I googled it I think Apple's spec says so but I don't see any evidence of it being reality.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 05:43 AM   #9
janstett
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej guy View Post
This is actually possible (as long as Apple Lossless supports 24/96 and 24/192.)

There are some Windows tools that will let you rip DVD-A discs. Unfortunately, since this is getting past DRM, it's actually illegal in the USA under the DMCA. I encourage everyone to do it though, as you've bought the content (and paid quite a high price when it comes to DVD-A). It should be yours to do with what you wish.
It gets even worse than that (and makes ripping even more important).

The only way to play a DVD-A disc on a PC is with a DVD player that supports it (such as PowerDVD).

They all downsample the audio to 16/48. The best I can wring out of it is 24/48 with AnyDVD HD. Equally frustrating that all the players do this with Blu-Ray audio too.

They claim this is because they need a protected audio path (to prevent audio capture programs from getting at high res PCM in system buffers) and there is no architecture in place to support it.

So bottom line, to actually HEAR DVD Audio in anything better than 16/48 on a PC you have to rip.

This issue is actually driving me quite insane right now, and proof that draconian "copy protection" ruins the product for people who bought it and drives them towards the shady underground hacking tools and piracy. Dolts!
janstett is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod