Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Hi guys:

I know that VisualHub is no more, but I still use it to transcode stuff for my Apple TV. I have an mkv file with embedded subtitles (not hard coded) which I can turn on or off in VLC, however I want to hard code them into the movie, so I go through the transcoding process and it ignores the subtitles. Does anyone know how I can get VisualHub to hard code the subs on the output movie?

As I'm probably barking up the wrong tree now VisualHub is no longer, could someone point me in the right direction of an easy way to do this? I'd rather not use Handbrake as I don't get as good results (dropped frames, and choppy video) as I do when I use VH.

Thanks

pac

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Think I've done it, I'm using mkvtoolnix to extract the subtitles to a text file. I'm then gonna look at VisualHub how to attach them

Will keep you all posted incase anyone else wants to do this in the future

pac

cubbie5150

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2007
Sorry to bump this, but there's no need to first convert the .avi or .mkv to a .mov file (using Quicktime)? I can simply drag my .avi into VH, make sure "force quicktime decoding" is checked, and VH does the rest? Just wanted to verify before I waste several hours converting some movies w/ separate sub files...

Zeusie

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
Same predicament

Hello, I joined this forum in hopes that you might be able to help me Pacmania1982. I have been having the same problem with my mkv files, I need to hard sub them. I have not found any software for macs that will do this for me. Can you tell me what your solution was?

I tried your link: http://www.isquint.org/cgi-bin/ikonb...ST;f=14;t=3733

but it no longer works. It really would be close to life saving if you helped me. Thanks!

mattcomi

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
What that page used to say

Here's the instructions that you used to be found on isquint.org. I got them using archive.org.

---

It's been mentioned before, but now that Perian 1 is officially out, I thought I'd make a new post on keeping subtitles in a VisualHub conversion. This is for (DivX or XViD) .avi files or .mkv files with external .srt or .ssa subtitles or for .mkv files with embedded srt or ssa subtitles.

First install Perian 1 for QuickTime:
http://www.perian.org/

For .avi files: give the avi and the srt or ssa file the same name and keep them in the same folder (example: spiderman.avi, spiderman.srt).

When you open the avi or mkv file in QuickTime you should now get subtitles, or this won't work.

Drop the avi or mkv file in VisualHub's conversion window and check 'force QuickTime decoding' in the advanced panel after choosing your conversion format. Subtitles should be burned in after conversion.

There's no easy solution for keeping DVD subtitles in VisualHub yet, use HandBrake for that.

Notes:
- conversion might take a little longer than usual, especially the 'preparing audio' part at the start.
- when converting a 16:9 movie to DVD format, force anamorphic should be checked in the DVD part of the advanced panel
- mkv files can have subtitles embedded that are a different format than ssa or srt, these won't work
- I've had problems with the encoding format of certain srt subtitles; opening them in SubRip (Windows app) and saving them back as .srt usually solved it.
- it's not possible to do a passthrough on ac3 audio while converting to DVD
- mkv files can contain more than one subtitle track. If you want to select a different subtitle track than the defaulted one, you need QuickTime Pro. Go to movie properties and you'll be able to delete any unwanted subtitle text tracks. Save as a reference movie and use that .mov file with VisualHub (no need to force QuickTime decoding anymore in that case)
- for iSquint (doesn't have 'force QuickTime decoding'): open the .avi or .mkv file in SubMerge (you don't need the full version for this action) or QuickTime Pro and save as a reference movie that you can use in iSquint.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/32381

tattoo99

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
Here's the instructions that you used to be found on isquint.org. I got them using archive.org.

---

It's been mentioned before, but now that Perian 1 is officially out, I thought I'd make a new post on keeping subtitles in a VisualHub conversion. This is for (DivX or XViD) .avi files or .mkv files with external .srt or .ssa subtitles or for .mkv files with embedded srt or ssa subtitles.

For .avi files: give the avi and the srt or ssa file the same name and keep them in the same folder (example: spiderman.avi, spiderman.srt).

When you open the avi or mkv file in QuickTime you should now get subtitles, or this won't work.

Drop the avi or mkv file in VisualHub's conversion window and check 'force QuickTime decoding' in the advanced panel after choosing your conversion format. Subtitles should be burned in after conversion.

There's no easy solution for keeping DVD subtitles in VisualHub yet, use HandBrake for that.

Notes:
- conversion might take a little longer than usual, especially the 'preparing audio' part at the start.
- when converting a 16:9 movie to DVD format, force anamorphic should be checked in the DVD part of the advanced panel
- mkv files can have subtitles embedded that are a different format than ssa or srt, these won't work
- I've had problems with the encoding format of certain srt subtitles; opening them in SubRip (Windows app) and saving them back as .srt usually solved it.
- it's not possible to do a passthrough on ac3 audio while converting to DVD
- mkv files can contain more than one subtitle track. If you want to select a different subtitle track than the defaulted one, you need QuickTime Pro. Go to movie properties and you'll be able to delete any unwanted subtitle text tracks. Save as a reference movie and use that .mov file with VisualHub (no need to force QuickTime decoding anymore in that case)
- for iSquint (doesn't have 'force QuickTime decoding'): open the .avi or .mkv file in SubMerge (you don't need the full version for this action) or QuickTime Pro and save as a reference movie that you can use in iSquint.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/32381

Thank you, mattcomi!

foz405

macrumors member
Make Sure you use Perian 1.1.4

---

Make sure you use Perian 1.1.4 as I have found with a PowerPC G4 and Tiger 10.4.11 that you'll get the error
Applescript Error
Can't make """" into type real (-1700)

when Visual Hub tries to prepare the audio on your avi file you want to convert with the subs.

Foz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.