Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:09 AM   #1
TheSandman2236
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TheSandman2236 Send a message via MSN to TheSandman2236
Black Box around Icons, forms, etc. - Need to get rid of em!

Guys I'm stumped - i've looked around and can't find a way to get rid of these black boxes ( I think I accidentally hit something on my keyboard.)

Here are two examples...

Thanks ahead of time!

Also, turning off VoiceOver or Zooming didn't work.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:11 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Have you turned on high contrast mode in Universal Access by mistake? This is easy to fix. Go into System Preferences, then Universal Access. Uncheck unwanted accessibility options.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:13 AM   #3
ergdegdeg
Moderator emeritus

Actually it's Voice Over, but also in Universal Access Prefs.
ergdegdeg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:20 AM   #4
TheSandman2236
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TheSandman2236 Send a message via MSN to TheSandman2236
Fixed - thanks for the responses guys. It seems the keyboard wasn't wanting to accept cmd+F5 to turn off VoiceOver. Weird..oh well but it worked! Thanks again!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:18 PM   #5
M.Allen
macrumors newbie

Oh My GOSH... thank u soooo much wrldwzrd89. I was about to kill myself cuz the voice over came on when i was doing something important so w/ out thinking i checked the "do not ask me again" box and i could NOT figure out how to turn off the voice over.
M.Allen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Gregg2
macrumors 601

A year and a half later, and you're a hero, Sandman. You saved a life!
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
hanchiumd
macrumors newbie

Additional Problem

For me just turning off voiceover was not enough. There was a black box of text that had white text that showed exactly what the voice over was saying. When the voice over was off the text box simply said voiceover off.

BUT THE STUPID BOX WAS STILL THERE AND VISIBLE IN EVERY #_*)T&#)*(!&)!!!!! SCREEN.

Finally I had the common sense to go to system, universal access, voice over utility and found that on the left hand side there is a visuals options and that if you tab over to control panel you can turn the Y#T)&^*)(Y!#@&**$#)(#$!!!!! menu off. How it got turned on in the first place is a mystery to me. I can understand turning on the voice over by inadvertently hitting command F5, but does this turn on that annoying box too? Perhaps.
hanchiumd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Orundundj
macrumors newbie

Thank you sooooo much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanchiumd View Post
For me just turning off voiceover was not enough. There was a black box of text that had white text that showed exactly what the voice over was saying. When the voice over was off the text box simply said voiceover off.

BUT THE STUPID BOX WAS STILL THERE AND VISIBLE IN EVERY #_*)T&#)*(!&)!!!!! SCREEN.

Finally I had the common sense to go to system, universal access, voice over utility and found that on the left hand side there is a visuals options and that if you tab over to control panel you can turn the Y#T)&^*)(Y!#@&**$#)(#$!!!!! menu off. How it got turned on in the first place is a mystery to me. I can understand turning on the voice over by inadvertently hitting command F5, but does this turn on that annoying box too? Perhaps.
I don't know how the sound and black strip got on my computer, after I worked on it last night.
I think my cat was annoyed I didn't get up to feed her and said, I'll fix her. I did see my cat on my computer. I won't leave the top up AGAIN!!!

For the few hours I had that voice and black strip, I couldn't do anything! they drove me nuts!!! so as I read on the forum, I feel for the people who had it as long as a year or more.

I'm glad I came across your answer. I was ready to take my Mac Book Pro to the Apple store. I just couldn't figure it out.
Hope you get to see my "Thanks!"
Orundundj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X