Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Hi, I have a powerbook G4, aluminum case, and recently it no longer would get juice thru to run the thing or charge the battery. Definitely not an adapter problem.

Someone told me that there is a small internal battery, I forget what it's called, not the CMOS battery but the other one, that if it goes bad, will produce these symptoms I'm having.

Well, I actually got the case open, but I can't find any batteries in there.
I have not attempted to pull out the circuit board or anything to see where the batteries are hiding.:confused:

LouH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
finding right replacement Pram battery

Wow, thanks, demi-god! That was indeed helpful.

Mine looks a bit different, though; one of those wrapped in heavy aluminum foil, with a circuit board and small battery inside.
No numbers on outside, some tiny numbers on battery inside, but don't know if they're helpful.

Fixit had a couple looking similar, but both out of stock.
Any ideas where I can find one of these? I didn't find any pics that looked like it on google shopping.

LouH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks! I was able to get the part # and found one elsewhere.

LouH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
replacing pram didn't help

:(
$82 and no improvement.
What else is it likely to be?
Again, adapter lights up yellow but won't run laptop with battery removed, nor charge the battery.
Laptop will not start when button pressed.

LouH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Of course, in the meantime the main battery went completely dead while still in the unit. I understand when that happens the dying battery sends a pulse to the laptop that kills it for some reason, and with this model one has to press SHIFT+CTRL+OPTION+Power button, release, wait 5 seconds, and press the power button again to reset it.
But that didn't help, either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.