Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not a big user of Plex because I don't really need it (I don't have a dedicated media computer) but have tooled around with it and really like it.
I came across this article on 9to5mac about an App Store being added so that developers can make apps to run within plex (like a Hulu plug-in, YouTube, etc). I'm interested in seeing how this is used and what it becomes (as I'm sure many others are).

http://9to5mac.com/Plex-app-store

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Why? Plex doesn't run on the AppleTV.

I think they're getting at the fact that a system LIKE plex would be an excellent way to improve the AppleTV. I would think that most people that use Plex use it on a dedicated media centre computer (like a Mini) and use it instead of an AppleTV. If the AppleTV had some of the features of Plex it would make the AppleTV more appealing (obviously somethings that Plex does, the AppleTV will likely not support.. like the file formats).

macworkerbee

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
I'm not a big user of Plex because I don't really need it (I don't have a dedicated media computer) but have tooled around with it and really like it.
I came across this article on 9to5mac about an App Store being added so that developers can make apps to run within plex (like a Hulu plug-in, YouTube, etc). I'm interested in seeing how this is used and what it becomes (as I'm sure many others are).

http://9to5mac.com/Plex-app-store

I'm really excited about these applications. I have mac mini set up as my home media computer and have been running a combination of Plex and Boxee. When Boxee lost Hulu I was sad but now I can run everything through Plex and all is right with my media setup! :D

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
XBMC runs on the ATV, which is what Plex is (a branch). Just use XBMC..

there is no seamless app store for XBMC, this is a plex only addition

that's why i'm running into the problem of using any of the apps with the Aeon skin in Plex, nowhere to launch them from, so I have to go back to mediastream for the time being

azdunerat

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
I am falling more and more in love with Plex, after screaming profanities at it for the first two or three days. The app store gives you some cool media streams and Hulu is a huge perk. The only drawback to hulu is that you cannot watch media that hulu has to connect you to. IE Lost is actually played back on ABC's website and therefore Plex will show you the Lost episode list but cannot play it back. That is my only critique and it is a small one at that.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
I am falling more and more in love with Plex, after screaming profanities at it for the first two or three days. The app store gives you some cool media streams and Hulu is a huge perk.

I'm with you there. I first down loaded it a few months ago and would try to get it set up the way I wanted only get frustrated and give up (in all fairness did not really look at wiki or forums first). Finally, a few weeks ago, gave it another try and I'm very happy I did. Now have it on 2 minis working as HTPCs and my office iMac. The apps are great. Watch some Hulu and a few minutes of Leo doing his thing. Getting to the point that im not sure I really nead cable. Already getting all the major networks in HD over the air. Now what to do about ESPN?

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Now what to do about ESPN?

ESPN has a beta working where you can stream all major sports. currently you can only use it if you have a internet service that subscribes to it, which in my area is verizon

eventually though they'll probably have a monthly pay service (hopefully cheap) that will allow access from any web service

check it out though, looks cool

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
heads up to everyone

if you're using Aeon with Plex you'll find installed plug ins in two sections:

1) picture plugins will be in pictures (big surprise huh?)

2) all video plugins will be located in "Clips" which you may need to enable as I don't think its pre-loaded that way, its under AEON and home shortcuts

enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.