Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Hey there,

I bought a macbook pro and I received an email from Apple saying I dont have much time left to buy applecare. I was wondering if any of you bought it from Ebay ...because I can save up to $100.
Is it safe? How does it work? they just send you the applecare number or something?

thanks

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Yeah, they'll just email you an AppleCare number. It worked totally fine for me, and I've bought from two different sellers (one was puckettkirby and the other mallard88).

I bought it off eBay during the time when Live.com searches would give you 25% cash back. It was already a significant discount from buying it retail, so adding that cash back was awesome.

kurenaiz

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2008
I just got it a few days ago for US $170 from a power seller called coastal_computing. (2000+)

He email me the code and instruction, and it worked like a charm.

I believe you could get it lower than $170, if you try.

Mine was an effortless bid.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
I just got it a few days ago for US $170 from a power seller called coastal_computing. (2000+)

He email me the code and instruction, and it worked like a charm.

I believe you could get it lower than $170, if you try.

Mine was an effortless bid.

I can't place a buy now off this guy :(

ijsbakje

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2009
Thanks theITguy!

1.jpg

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I bought my AppleCare on eBay. Registered no problem. Obviously you'll want to keep an eye out for people with good feedback that have sold AppleCare in the past, though.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
People search!

Yes you can buy off ebay. Have fun supporting money laundering operations.

jbussiere

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2008
check out the other thread

try to get the name of the ebay seller in the other thread...the one where the guy got screwed over with his Apple Care. Def want to stay away from sellers like those.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Bought mine from eBay last year for $175 and the cost was normally at $349, haven't had a problem with it. Though I've heard on another thread that someone's AppleCare was invalid after registration and Apple needed to see the receipt for the purchase from an Apple Reseller in order to validate the AppleCare. So, as other posters have mentioned you should check on the seller's feedback and history...:eek:

volcom883

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2008
istanbul
my friend is wondering whether she can get the applecare off ebay just before the original 12 months warranty period ends. ?? or does it have to be done within a certain period of time after purchase?
thanks

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
my friend is wondering whether she can get the applecare off ebay just before the original 12 months warranty period ends. ?? or does it have to be done within a certain period of time after purchase?
thanks
Anytime before the limited warranty ends (12 months after purchase date)

gpeden

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
so how do you make sure the code is valid? should you call apple?

You will know when you attempt to register it with Apple. That happened to me because my seller accidentally sent me a code for a MB instead of a MBP :) This would have been troublesome if I'd left it until the last week of warranty, but otherwise I got it registered just fine with the new number and have used AppleCare twice so far.

Cheers!

Glen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.