Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
joeymoon
macrumors newbie

I keep getting "USB Over Current Notice"

I have a 2.2 ghz Macbook, and whenever I plug in the USB connected to my iPod into the side USB ports, I get this "USB Over Current Notice" and it deactivates the USB Hub. It doesn't do it every time, but it does it more often than not. It will do it on both USB ports.
I don't think it's a prob w/ my iPod b/c the connection was fine on my old computer.
Any way I can fix this? Should I spend the $ on a Genius appt? Suggestions??
Thanks in advance!
joeymoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:03 PM   #2
JG271
macrumors 6502a

The iPod draws more power than the hub can supply - so the iPod will most likely have to be plugged directly into the macbook, not via the hub.

If that is what you mean - if it doesn't work on any ports, then you have a problem... Hope this helps.
JG271 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:14 PM   #3
joeymoon
macrumors newbie

by Hub I mean the two USB ports on the side of the Macbook, I don't have any thing else attached to the computer. I think you're second response is more relevant...I have a problem

Can I divert more power to the USB, or do anything to fix this?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:12 PM   #4
sickmacdoc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymoon View Post
by Hub I mean the two USB ports on the side of the Macbook, I don't have any thing else attached to the computer. I think you're second response is more relevant...I have a problem

Can I divert more power to the USB, or do anything to fix this?
First off you need to get the USB ports on the MacBook checked out to make sure they are actually outputting the specified power for a USB powered port which is 0.5A@5VDC- but if you can't or don't care to, two other solutions are below.

There is no way to add more power to them directly, but using a quality 4 or 7 port powered hub (in other words with a power adapter that plugs in the wall) will often allow devices to work that may be drawing just over the current that the built in USB port can provide. Belkin hubs seem to have a little more available power at each port. Since your iPod works sometimes, that would seem to be the case- that it just needs very near the maximum that the onboard port can provide.

Now on the other hand if you just want to plug in the iPod and avoid the underpower problem and don't mind using both USB ports, you can successfully use a USB "Y" cable which draws power from both USB ports which, assuming the USB ports are working ok, will eliminate the problem. An example of such a cable is this one at Amazon.
sickmacdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5
joeymoon
macrumors newbie

awesome, great advice, thank you for the help!!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:40 PM   #6
harry454
macrumors 6502

checkout the belkin hubs those are great
iPhone 5S Grey 32 GB Unlocked | Retina iPad Mini 64GB Wifi/4g |
harry454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook