Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
FriedPotatoes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Question Remove scratches from Aluminium Unibody Macbook

Found a small scratch on the lid of my fairly new unibody macbook. My first one But hey, it's probably bound to happen one of these days. Anyone have any bright ideas to remove it? This is what I've tried so far in a logical step in a progressively abrasive fashion:

1. Simple glass cleaner (thought it was dirt when I first saw it)
2. iKlear Apple Cleaner
3. Klasse Scratch and Swirl Remover (German car polish)
4. Meguiar's Nxt Gen Metal Polish

Klasse and Meguiar's have somewhat made scratch less noticeable, but still there....

Thanks for your help.
FriedPotatoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:31 AM   #2
PeterQC
macrumors 6502a
 
PeterQC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Sadly, you can't. Deal with it.
__________________
[French Canadian User]
MacBook Pro: 2.4GHz 2GB Ram 250GB HDD + Apple Keyboard
PeterQC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
fartheststar
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPotatoes View Post
Found a small scratch on the lid of my fairly new unibody macbook. My first one But hey, it's probably bound to happen one of these days. Anyone have any bright ideas to remove it? This is what I've tried so far in a logical step in a progressively abrasive fashion:

1. Simple glass cleaner (thought it was dirt when I first saw it)
2. iKlear Apple Cleaner
3. Klasse Scratch and Swirl Remover (German car polish)
4. Meguiar's Nxt Gen Metal Polish

Klasse and Meguiar's have somewhat made scratch less noticeable, but still there....

Thanks for your help.
It's now one of a kind. Not being a jerk, but look at it in a positive way. You did say "it's bound to happen", and so it did.

You could get a cover for it that's always on the machine if you don't like looking at it, or just be more careful going forward.

Just think of it as a war wound maybe - character (like the lines you get when you smile too much )?
__________________
--
fartheststar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:10 PM   #4
uicandrew
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
this is a maybe, but if you get a skin/shield, the scratch will be less noticeable.

i think previous reviews said that the skin/shield made the scratch less noticeable. i don't remember if it was for a white macbook or for an aluminum macbook pro. (it was a while back)

also

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...h-remover-ipod

this removed quite a few scratches from the back of the chrome-backed ipods. the pictures are quite astonishing.

but again, the products you have already used might be superior to the ones i have suggested.
uicandrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:21 PM   #5
amrk47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
it will buff right out
amrk47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 01:44 PM   #6
polska9
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
brushed aluminum is a difficult surface to clean and it will be hard to eliminate scratches.
polska9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
michael.lauden
macrumors 68020
 
michael.lauden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
if you can't buff it out with Meguiar's, then you problably aren't going to be able to polish it away.

the same thing happened ot me with my belt buckle on the bottom of my unibody macbook.

deffinatly look into the incase brand for a hardshell, live in case for your macbook.

the clear case will blur out the scratch and it will be harder to notice.

or if you want, you could get an opaque case with a preeeeeetty color, like... pink
michael.lauden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 03:54 PM   #8
cellocello
macrumors 68000
 
cellocello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
I got my first tiny scratch on the lid of my MacBook as well - just noticed it yesterday.

Until there's some "this is 100% how you remove small scratches" technique, I'm just gonna let her be.
__________________
32GB new iPad (Black)
32GB iPhone 5 (Black)
Aluminum MacBook
Apple TV
cellocello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
amrk47
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
someone try Meguiars scratch x 2.0

if that doesnt work, nothing will
amrk47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:08 PM   #10
harry454
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I would just say get a invisible shield when you first get your macbook and you won't have to worry anymore.
__________________
15" Retina MBP/2.6 Ghz i7/16 GB Ram/512 GB SSD
2TB Dual Band Time Capsule
Bluetooth Keyboard, Magic Trackpad
iPhone 5S Grey 32 GB Unlocked | Retina iPad Mini 64GB Wifi/4g |
harry454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:41 AM   #11
ZachMatthews
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
I have actually tried this and it works very well. When you scratch an aluminum MacBook Pro body, it tends to darken the area (and may also dent it slightly).

I used "Nev-R-Dull" brand metal polish, which comes in a tin pre-soaked into shredded cotton.

http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/...am-101821.aspx

I simply scrubbed the scratches very gently with a small wad of the cotton batting. Eventually the scratches lightened to a bright silver color that matched the rest of the MacBook. You can't get the matte finish back under any circumstances but this was a huge improvement - you can't see the scratches from any distance at all now.

Best I've found.

Zach
ZachMatthews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:57 AM   #12
Wraz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
i saw someone do it with a banana. dont know if it works. gonna try with my touch (:
Wraz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:22 AM   #13
sandbeats
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
When I got my MBP unibody, I got an INCASE skin for it. Because I never once scratched my old MBP and wanted to good care of the new one too... So I paid almost 60 dollars for the one that the smart mac people recommended... But I needed to get it off, and after trying for a loooong time and hurting my fingers... I even tried goggling how to get that freaking INCASE off... but no luck.. It finally came off but ended up scratching the corners and one right under the apple... It doesn't seem deep and I still have to try with some Iklear, because he told me in the store it would remove small scratches, so thats why I bought it.. I'm so sad about it
My ipod and iphone has no scratches at all, so I'm furious, at myself, because I could have tried different things, but somebody spilled a little water on the table so that I got some on my computer and I needed to dry the covers inside, since some got under it.. But I'm also furious I got that stupid cover that doesn't come off at all.. The other covers I had for my old MBP worked perfectly, it came right off when you needed it, and came perfectly back on again... And they were cheaper than the ones for the Unibody...
I really hope that something can minimize it, I'll even try a banana!!
sandbeats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Patrick J
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oporto, Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbeats View Post
When I got my MBP unibody, I got an INCASE skin for it. Because I never once scratched my old MBP and wanted to good care of the new one too... So I paid almost 60 dollars for the one that the smart mac people recommended... But I needed to get it off, and after trying for a loooong time and hurting my fingers... I even tried goggling how to get that freaking INCASE off... but no luck.. It finally came off but ended up scratching the corners and one right under the apple... It doesn't seem deep and I still have to try with some Iklear, because he told me in the store it would remove small scratches, so thats why I bought it.. I'm so sad about it
My ipod and iphone has no scratches at all, so I'm furious, at myself, because I could have tried different things, but somebody spilled a little water on the table so that I got some on my computer and I needed to dry the covers inside, since some got under it.. But I'm also furious I got that stupid cover that doesn't come off at all.. The other covers I had for my old MBP worked perfectly, it came right off when you needed it, and came perfectly back on again... And they were cheaper than the ones for the Unibody...
I really hope that something can minimize it, I'll even try a banana!!
I think that once you scratch brushed aluminium then you can't get the brushed look back without machining the entire surface again. I scratched the top of my new MBP: 2 inches along the top I got a bad mobo and Apple replaced it with a brand new cosmetically perfect laptop
Patrick J is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:09 PM   #15
pvmacguy
macrumors 65816
 
pvmacguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jax
I've used wet 800 grit sandpaper on an old alum. powerbook that was covered in scratches and it removed them. But not guaranteed.
__________________
| iPad2 32 gb wifi | iPhone 4S 16 gb | Macbook Air 11": 1.4ghz; 4gb ram|
GadgetMac
heatware feedback
pvmacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:03 PM   #16
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvmacguy View Post
I've used wet 800 grit sandpaper on an old alum. powerbook that was covered in scratches and it removed them. But not guaranteed.
Sounds like you just scratched the **** out of it enough to make it look uniform, actually.
XboxMySocks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:22 PM   #17
fungus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @unclefungus
Everything Apple makes in aluminum is anodized, not brushed. It the finish were brushed it would be a lot easier to fix. You could just use steel wool or even a green scrubby pad - 3M, whatever - and "rebrush" it. Unfortunately, you can't reanodize it. At home, anyway
fungus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:59 PM   #18
Ammo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Buy the FixIt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDiq8SUFAN8
Ammo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 07:40 PM   #19
Dybbuk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
lmao are you seriously trying to clean off a scratch? do you know what a scratch is?
__________________
Aluminum MacBook 2.0 + 4GB RAM; Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX; Airport Express; JBL Creatures II; moshi Codex 13 se
Dybbuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 09:47 PM   #20
direzze
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Try some steel wool
direzze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:03 PM   #21
Gqsmooth1981
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Can prevent it from happening.

Yeah it sucks to find that first scratch on your MB or IPad or anything for that matter. Think of it as a battle scar. You can have it in a FB shield from Zagg's or BodyGuardz but I guarantee you that it will still get scratched no matter what you try. I have a MB Pro, iPad 1&2 and have tried my best to keep scratches from forming but the simple fact of the matter is that nothing will protect it 100%. you can only do your best and hope for the best unless you wear microfiber gloves and wash it in bottled water air dried...there is just no way you can keep it scratch less unless you leave it in the box it came in but even then dust dirt will get to it and I bet you'll still find a scratch on it.
__________________
Bryan Y
Check this out, it's
like Zagg but cheaper check it out!!!
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...te.php?id=1253
Gqsmooth1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 03:51 PM   #22
mercurychild
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrk47 View Post
someone try Meguiars scratch x 2.0

if that doesnt work, nothing will
Tried Meguiars Scratch X 2.0...IT WORKED! Scratched the palm rest of my brand new MBP. Multiple passes w/ just a tiny drop of the product per application. Rubbed it gently with my finger tip and slowly took out the scratch...no damage to the anodized surface of the surrounding aluminum either.
mercurychild is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:30 AM   #23
JanBorman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurychild View Post
Tried Meguiars Scratch X 2.0...IT WORKED! Scratched the palm rest of my brand new MBP. Multiple passes w/ just a tiny drop of the product per application. Rubbed it gently with my finger tip and slowly took out the scratch...no damage to the anodized surface of the surrounding aluminum either.
Was this easy to do? I have a tiny scratch (2mm or so) on my lid, would it work on that you think? Do you have to apply a lot of pressure, cause if so I am worried about damaging the screen
JanBorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:53 PM   #24
krburrell
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Seems like it's better to just live with the scratch.
krburrell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:00 PM   #25
austinTweiland
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurychild View Post
Tried Meguiars Scratch X 2.0...IT WORKED! Scratched the palm rest of my brand new MBP. Multiple passes w/ just a tiny drop of the product per application. Rubbed it gently with my finger tip and slowly took out the scratch...no damage to the anodized surface of the surrounding aluminum either.
After was there any discolouration on the aluminum unibody?
austinTweiland is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Unibody Aluminium 2008 SSD littleebo356 MacBook 4 Apr 19, 2013 08:11 AM
Anybody installed Windows 8 on a 2008 Unibody Macbook (Aluminium)? Mac-Rumours Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Dec 4, 2012 01:47 AM
How to remove perfume stains from my unibody white MacBook flmackintosh MacBook 4 Sep 10, 2012 11:07 PM
2008 Unibody Aluminium 13" Macbook - SCREEN ISSUE and UPGRADES! ItsJonnyDean MacBook 1 Jul 30, 2012 02:34 PM
Maintaining your MacBook Pro Aluminium UniBody iOrbit MacBook Pro 17 Jun 26, 2012 01:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC