Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
London
I'm wondering if someone can recommend a good print shop where I can get some of my photos pinted. I'm not talking about regular sized pictures but something I can hang on the walls around my house. Thanks in advance! I know some people would recommend doing it myself but I don't have the proper printer and im not looking to buy one.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I'm wondering if someone can recommend a good print shop where I can get some of my photos pinted. I'm not talking about regular sized pictures but something I can hang on the walls around my house. Thanks in advance! I know some people would recommend doing it myself but I don't have the proper printer and im not looking to buy one.

mpix.com

costco does a decent job as well, especially for the price

SnowX

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
I agree with Costco. Around here it's mostly photo students that work at the lab, so they pay close attention to colours/hues/brightness, contrast... etc.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Two points:

#1, it still means something.

and

#2, you don't think that may have been my point?

I was mainly trying to be humorous rather than to provoke an argument. I've heard good things about Costco's printing services from my friends, but not from Ken Rockwell's site (mostly because I never bothered researching it there).

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
I'll second adoramapix, they do 24x36, it's pretty cheap (sometimes they have specials, but still, $20 for a 20x30 isn't that bad), and 95% of my prints have matched much more expensive prints. The 5% difference seems to be sample variation, as the few I was disappointed with looked very good in later prints of the same size. They're also pretty fast.

IGDesigns

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Markal Inc does a great job Markalinc.com I've had big posters printed there, business cards and much more.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Image size enlargement in Photoshop

Hi,
what I really want to know, is not so much the enlargement printing services - although that is great info - but what is the best way to enlarge an image size in Photoshop to keep the quality as hihgh as possible.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Well I just ordered my first largish print from mpix.com, a B&W print, slightly cropped from my D90 at 20"x24" on their True B&W paper with the lustre finish, it was a bit of a rush order so I didn't research the options too much so hopefully it turns out well! Should arrive on Wednesday so I'll report back here once it gets here!

Apr 10, 2007
Qveda you do not need any software to enlarge your photos they are already at a resolution where you shouldn't need to enlarge it to get the size prints you need.

All you have to do is take the image and get it printed, you don't need to enlarge it to 20x30 inches before printing.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Qveda you do not need any software to enlarge your photos they are already at a resolution where you shouldn't need to enlarge it to get the size prints you need.

All you have to do is take the image and get it printed, you don't need to enlarge it to 20x30 inches before printing.

I guess I'll have to give it a try to find out how well my 10m-pixel point&shoot images will work. But at least I'm encouraged that it may turn out OK.

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
I have their software, what do you want know? It is pretty cool stuff on a Mac, doesn't run worth a bean on a PC.

Hi,
I have an image I'd really like to enlarge to 16x20 or larger. It was taken on a 10mpixel point&shoot but the composition was a crop down to 1200x800. (Its a sunrise with clouds and fog and sillouetted trees.)
Have you had experience enlarging from this kind of image? Do you think more than 16x20 is reasonable ? ( GenuineFractals advertises 10x with high quality).

If so, what about Noise Reduction. I'm quite sure GenuineFractals would do a great job on preserving sharpness, but it doesn't address NR.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Hi,
I have an image I'd really like to enlarge to 16x20 or larger. It was taken on a 10mpixel point&shoot but the composition was a crop down to 1200x800.

You know it would have been a lot easier answering your question if you had originally stated the size of your crop! I would be VERY surprised and impressed if any software out there would be able to make a good large print out of an image less than a single megapixel in size, it would be like on CSI "enhance, enhance, enhance..." where the picture magically zooms in!

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Hi Kjohansen and Jaseone

yes, I realize enlarging an image that was cropped to 1200x800 up to 16x20 would be a stretch - literally. Photoshop alone may not be sufficient to deal with the blur and noise. That's why I am curious about GenuineFractals and Noise Ninja. This image would be a good test for the 10X claim by GenuineFractal, and perhaps using NoiseNinja as well , I might get a result worth printing.

What do you think?

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
could try whitehouse custom color. They have a sale on gallery wraps right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.