Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gujar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Where are Apple computers Made in. I am in process of making my final decision to buy PB 15'. I always try to buy goods made in good old USA even though they may cost me more and as far as possible try to avoid buying anything made in China.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
gujar said:
Where are Apple computers Made in. I am in process of making my final decision to buy PB 15'. I always try to buy goods made in good old USA even though they may cost me more and as far as possible try to avoid buying anything made in China.

i suppose that way you are less likely to be supporting slave labour. Mine from the Apple UK store is made in the Chezch Republic (can never spell that)

bwaadass

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
UK
Good choice with the Powerbook. But I don't mind where it is assembled. We are living in a global economy now and we will ALL be better off (in the long run) if goods and services are produced by the people who have the competitive advantage.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
bwaadass said:
Good choice with the Powerbook. But I don't mind where it is assembled. We are living in a global economy now and we will ALL be better off (in the long run) if goods and services are produced by the people who have the competitive advantage.
it may mean cheaper goods for us but it also means lower wages for the workers in other countries, so we are not 'all' better off

bwaadass

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
UK
wowser said:
it may mean cheaper goods for us but it also means lower wages for the workers in other countries, so we are not 'all' better off

As demand for cheap labour rises so to will their wages... So these workers will gain too. A poor paying job is better than no job (as long as their markets have the neccessary legislation to prevent exploitation).

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Daveman Deluxe said:
I think the manufacturing is mostly done in the U.S. and I know the assembling is done in Taiwan.

Nope. Only design is done in the US (hence the "designed in CA" label on Apple boxes.) Manufacturing and assembling are done abroad. For PBs, I believe either Quanta or Compal handle the manufacturing (Taiwan/China) Only exception is the G5 chip itself, everything else isn't made in America (case, hard drives, motherboard, lcds, RAM, even the little plastic feet, G4 chip)

Oh yeah, even the pretty boxes are from the Asian countries.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
bwaadass said:
As demand for cheap labour rises so to will there wages... So these workers will gain too. A poor paying job is better than no job (as long as their markets have the neccessary legislation to prevent exploitation).

I'm sure Apple are quite ethical in their emplyment policies (at least i hope)
Also, I'm not sure what evidence there is to suggest that overseas wages increase as the demand for cheap labour increaces, but I suppose I will just accept this. I suppose i'm thinking of things like Sean Comb's clothing line and the conditions his workers were in, but i guess textile industries only need a certain level of skilled labour (or none at all) where as putting together Apple computers would be rather high skilled. My mouse is made in Malasia, anyways :) .

phrac

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
on the bottom of my 15" albook:
"Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in Taiwan."

cjc343

macrumors 6502
I challenge you to find a computer where the parts, design, and assembly are done in the US.... I doubt it exists.

I reccommend you buy for quality, not because of where it was made.

If dell made all of their computers in the US, I would not buy from them, and I would not reccommend them until their quality improved....

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
All of the computer manufacturers have the computes assembled outside of the US because thats where all (or almost all) of the parts are in the first place.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
the only apple computers assembled in the usa are the eMac and Powermac (except the 1.6ghz). I prefer assemebled in the USA as opposed to Taiwan. The ones assembled in the USA are sturdier/better quality, IMO

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
for a long time, a lot of macs were made in Cork, Ireland. not sure if they still maintain that production facility. I know they also produce in Mexico, that facility suffered a fire a while back, delaying (i think?) powerbooks...

I think the location of the facility is mostly chosen according to which governments give them the best deals on importing parts/exporting systems...

paul

candan9019

macrumors regular
I don't understand this reasoning. If you want a mac you have no choice other than Apple. You can't go to someone else because they make there's in the U.S. because there is no one else. And as was mentioned most computers arn't totally made in the States anyways.

In the States I was told to buy American, in Canada I'm told to buy Canadian but those economics don't work. It's the global economy love it or hate it it's here to stay.

zamyatin

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2003
NYC
Most of my Apple hardware seems to have been assembled in Taiwan.

At least you can be glad to know that the existence of a functionally independent Taiwan really pisses off (angers) the leadership of the People's Republic on the mainland. And buying Taiwanese products helps to make them stronger, and more likely to remain independent. (PS - Taiwan is a democracy, China a one-party dictatorship.)

PPS - This is intended to be humorous in a cynical and ironic way.

gujar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
candan9019 said:
I don't understand this reasoning. If you want a mac you have no choice other than Apple. You can't go to someone else because they make there's in the U.S. because there is no one else. And as was mentioned most computers arn't totally made in the States anyways.

In the States I was told to buy American, in Canada I'm told to buy Canadian but those economics don't work. It's the global economy love it or hate it it's here to stay.

Thank you all for your comments. Sorry I did not mean to start a political thread. I agree with you candan 9019 if I want a Mac I don't have a choice. I am not totally against buying goods from China but try to avoid if I can for the some of the reasons mentioned by others such as slave labor, communist government, supporting local economy and of course the quality of products.

gujar said:
Thank you all for your comments. Sorry I did not mean to start a political thread. I agree with you candan 9019 if I want a Mac I don't have a choice. I am not totally against buying goods from China but try to avoid if I can for the some of the reasons mentioned by others such as slave labor, communist government, supporting local economy and of course the quality of products.

Nothing wrong with looking around, attempting to support the economy of your home. Sometimes, though, you gotta settle to get the product you want. I try and stick with things made in the U.S. and Canada. Mexico is 3rd on my list. I try to avoid the places with the exploited women and children. (But, I usually don't even think about it until I've already bought it.) Of course, with our minimum wage remaining at $5.15 an hour while everyone else is getting 2-4% a year in raises, I'm sure a lot of U.S. manufacturers could be considered exploiters. <---Is that a word?

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
latergator116 said:
The ones assembled in the USA are sturdier/better quality, IMO

I find this prejudice that products made outside the US are of less quality very dangerous.
It's simply not true.

I think this entire debate is pointless.
Where ever the product was assembled, it undergoes Apple's quality control.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
crazzyeddie said:
All of the computer manufacturers have the computes assembled outside of the US because thats where all (or almost all) of the parts are in the first place.

well many computer processors are made right here in the us, and all the g5 procs are made right in nyc.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
zamyatin said:
Most of my Apple hardware seems to have been assembled in Taiwan.

At least you can be glad to know that the existence of a functionally independent Taiwan really pisses off (angers) the leadership of the People's Republic on the mainland. And buying Taiwanese products helps to make them stronger, and more likely to remain independent. (PS - Taiwan is a democracy, China a one-party dictatorship.)

PPS - This is intended to be humorous in a cynical and ironic way.

HAHA! i was troubled until i read the last line.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Doraemon said:
I find this prejudice that products made outside the US are of less quality very dangerous.
It's simply not true.

I think this entire debate is pointless.
Where ever the product was assembled, it undergoes Apple's quality control.

Sorry if I offended you. Actually I was just comparing products made from Taiwan. I don't mean all products made outside the US are poorer quality,etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.