Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I bought my first gen Touch the week they came out, back in October 2007 if I remember right.

I've finally noticed the battery life is shortening the last couple of weeks - especially when I play processor intensive games like Tetris. Music still gives me hours, but Tetris reduces a charge life to about 45 minutes.

I was just wondering what other 1st gen owner's experiences have been? Are your original batteries still going strong? Or have they already been replaced?

Pain

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I have the crappiest iPod touch battery alive - with a combination of music, Facebook and some other applications, I'm usually charging it EVERY day, when I use it for a maximum of an hour and a half.

Drifte

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Midwest
yea battery life seems pretty short on my 1g as well. Whats involved in getting a new battery? Send it in I guess?:(

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
aye, send it to Apple (or via an Apple store). i think a replacement battery costs around $80 (make sure it's no jailbroken too).

i bought my 1st gen Touch around september/october 2007, and been using it every day more or less ever since. dont yet notice the battery drop as i plug mine in for 7 or 8 hours a day on charge, but i'm sure expecting it.

anyone know how many charges Apple claim the batteries can take? i must surely be somewhere between 400-500.

petes63

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
I am not sure if the battery itself is better in the 2nd gen. All I have heard from Apple just says "Improved battery life". This could mean that the device itself is more efficient, rather than the battery being better, or having a higher capacity.

The 2nd gen uses the same battery technology (lithium), so I expect that the life of the battery will be similar. I am sure this Apple webpage has been posted before:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

"A properly maintained iPod battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles".

It applies to all iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.