Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:25 AM   #1
brsboarder
macrumors 6502a

wont let me delete files

I put things in the recycle bin, then when i go to recycle these, or delete them, it says that these files are locked? what can i do? they are all simple files, that i downloaded
brsboarder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:45 AM   #2
Dunepilot
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Dunepilot
I have had exactly the same problem (in my case, with partially-downloaded files created by Internet Explorer). The quick and dirty way to get rid of them is to reboot (if your mac allows it) into OS 9 and delete them from there. Should be very straightforward. As for doing it on an OS X-only machine, I don't know..... hopefully someone else can help out here
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:52 AM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunepilot
I have had exactly the same problem (in my case, with partially-downloaded files created by Internet Explorer). The quick and dirty way to get rid of them is to reboot (if your mac allows it) into OS 9 and delete them from there. Should be very straightforward. As for doing it on an OS X-only machine, I don't know..... hopefully someone else can help out here
I have two solutions for you - one really annoying, and another much less painful. The annoying solution is to open up the Get Info box for the offending files and manually uncheck the Locked attribute. The easy fix is to hold down Option when emptying the Trash; this deletes locked files without telling you it can't (and it's worked ever since System 7 was introduced).
Old Mar 29, 2004, 11:57 AM   #4
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsboarder
I put things in the recycle bin
You sure you are using a mac?

"Recyle bin" is a M$ rip-off of the mac os trash concept.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 03:05 PM   #5
HexMonkey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
I have two solutions for you - one really annoying, and another much less painful. The annoying solution is to open up the Get Info box for the offending files and manually uncheck the Locked attribute. The easy fix is to hold down Option when emptying the Trash; this deletes locked files without telling you it can't (and it's worked ever since System 7 was introduced).
I can't even move locked files, so the option-empty trash thing probably won't work. Unlocking in Get Info will, but if the lock checkbox is disabled, then you have to go to the 'Ownerships & Permissions' section of Get Info and set yourself to the owner (may require admin password).
HexMonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 06:25 PM   #6
brsboarder
macrumors 6502a

i tried holding down the option key, didnt work, tried opening the file w/ get info, and the locked isnt clicked, its a windows media player folder with windows media player file in it if that helps
Old Mar 29, 2004, 06:31 PM   #7
brsboarder
macrumors 6502a

a little more info, its the windows media player for max os8, by accident i downloaded that one first, instead of osx without realizing it
Old Mar 29, 2004, 07:00 PM   #8
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
try this
bennetsaysargh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 07:59 PM   #9
lucasraggers
macrumors newbie

- Try 'Secure Empty Trash'
- Try 'Cocktail'. It has a special empty trash function for those kind of problems.
lucasraggers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 09:47 PM   #10
abhishekit
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to abhishekit
one other way would be open the terminal
write 'sudo rm '
drag the file on that line ,,press enter..

cheers
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:20 AM   #11
aireeonree
macrumors newbie

delete

just playing with my shiny new macbookpro and have transfered old files from pc over. now doing laundry and want to delete some files but it wont let me. i am admin but everyt ime i put in trash i get admin log in come up then it either copies files into trash or doesnt at all. so i cant delete anything. its wierd.help please
aireeonree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:29 AM   #12
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

* A note to others at the age of the thread. Just saying only focus on the new question as I'm sure the original thread has been dealt with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeonree View Post
just playing with my shiny new macbookpro and have transferred old files from pc over. now doing laundry and want to delete some files but it wont let me. i am admin but every time i put in trash i get admin log in come up then it either copies files into trash or doesn't at all. so i cant delete anything. its weird.help please
Describe where you are dragging from as well if it's happening for all types of files or only certain ones. Have you tried rebooting? Have you tried the other methods mentioned in this thread, such as deleting files with Terminal?
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Salmar
macrumors regular

I use this small app called "force empty trash" and it works very well.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10481
Salmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store