Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:09 PM   #1
Mala
macrumors 6502

How do you check your connection speed?

My wireless broadband connection has become snail-like. How do I check how fast it's actually connecting?
Mala is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2004, 01:35 PM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mala
My wireless broadband connection has become snail-like. How do I check how fast it's actually connecting?
There is a check service here; do keep in mind that speed issues with your broadband connection may not be on your end. Sometimes, the server(s) you download from have slow connections or limited bandwidth themselves, and thus your speed isn't the determining factor.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 04:22 PM   #3
abhishekit
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to abhishekit
another one
Old Mar 29, 2004, 04:42 PM   #4
Kabeyun
macrumors regular

Connection speed check

I highly recommend PCPitstop (www.pcpitstop.com). It features a ton of useful tests and information. (It's also the one that many ISP's tech people use themselves.) For a simple test of actual throughput, click on "Internet Connection" (7th down at the left). If you're measuring download speed, try to accurately select your expected baud rate, otherwise the wrong size packet will be sent and you'll get an inaccurate number.
Kabeyun is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Mala
macrumors 6502

The first site, posted by wrldwzrd, seems to be US-only; the second, posted by Kabeyun, gives a 404, and PC Pitstop seems to be, well, for PCs rather than Macs, as far as I can see.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for the help you've given me.
Mala is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2004, 04:07 PM   #6
James Craner
macrumors 68000

I would try rebooting your broadband router, I have to kick start mine every so often to get better performance.
James Craner is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2004, 05:11 PM   #7
Mala
macrumors 6502

Thanks, James, rebooting does help - but I'm curious about how fast my connection is anyway!
Mala is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:33 PM   #8
Nny
macrumors regular

Quote:
It's broadband.... doesn't that mean it's always on? Hence no "connection" speed? Connection speed dates back to when we all had modems and our ISPs lied to use and told us all we were getting 57600 kbps even though that was impossible. Connection speed was never reliable. The speed of the inital connection does not mean it cannot degrade or improve after connection is established.

Reason for that tangent of thought is cause the same holds true for broadband... in essence: your mileage may vary. Your speed can fluctuate a lot over the course of a day.

Does it get slower at "peek" times? If so, then there are too many subscribers and not enough bandwidth. Nothing you can do. If rebooting your router helps, but it continues to be a problem then your ISP may have a way of detecting NAT (if you use NAT) and slowing you down because you are breaking their TOS (though it seems more likely that they would just cut you off). Also check with your ISP to make sure you don't have bandwidth limitations... if you spend a lot of time downloading big files at peak times they might be slowing you down on purpose.
Nny is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:47 PM   #9
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

Quote:
and PC Pitstop seems to be, well, for PCs rather than Macs, as far as I can see.
Slow down turbo. PC Pitstop is not just for PCs. You need to read

Try clicking the Run Bandwith Test on this page - http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/Bandwidth.asp
jeremy.king is offline   0
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:21 PM   #10
realityisterror
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to realityisterror
my wireless connection becomes "snail-like" in three cases:
1) someone is using the computer downstairs to do something intensive,
2) slow server, and occasionally
3) interference from the cordless phone.

i keep asking my mom to move while she talks on the phone, but she doesn't care... just more reason for me to "get up and exercise..."

reality
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:59 PM   #11
Nny
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityisterror
3) interference from the cordless phone.
If it's a 2.4 GHz cordless phone try replacing it with a cheaper/older 900 MHz cordless. Supposedly less interference. Dunno where I previously read this little tidbit of advice, but I hope it helps.
Nny is offline   0
Old Apr 9, 2004, 12:41 AM   #12
question fear
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to question fear
its true, cordless phones will interfere with wireless connections.

interesting tidbit-when i worked for best buy, we had scan guns that connected wirelessly to our computers for printing stickers, etc. the cordless phones were 2.4ghz and interfered HORRIBLY wiht the scan guns...yet despite being overstocked in 900mhz phones we could never get them replaced...grr...

and to stay on topicish...both the cnet and pcpitstop sites listed my connection as the upper limits of cable...i think it was 2777 kbps...whoo hoo.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion