Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1
three-jeeps
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Wink How to recover photos from iphone photo library????

I have a 1.5 yo macbook and a iphone 3g. My iphone has been synced with the macbook, and contains all the pictures and itune songs that were originally on the macbook. The HD on the macbook went belly up and I had to install a new HD and reload Leopard. My question is: How do I get all the pictures that are on the iphone IN THE PHOTO LIBRARY AND NOT THOSE TAKEN BY THE IPHONE back onto my Mac?
A similar question is: how do I get all of the music on the iphone back onto the Mac????

The pictures were originally stored on the macbook, and then synced in full resolution mode to the iphone. To reiterate, the pictures are in the iphone photo library, NOT the camera roll. I have been pointed to and tried: senuti, Diskaid, and the iphoto app. None of them are able to see the photos in the photo library.
If this were a Windoz or Linux platform, it would be a non-issue for me. Hmmm, are there any tools under Linxu that talk to the iphone?

(Yes, I know about doing backups...problem is my son is just learning and I was not 'watching' He now knows why they are done and done more than once every 6 mo...).http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon12.gif

Thanks for your help....
-J
three-jeeps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2
i-betyar
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by three-jeeps View Post
I have a 1.5 yo macbook and a iphone 3g. My iphone has been synced with the macbook, and contains all the pictures and itune songs that were originally on the macbook. The HD on the macbook went belly up and I had to install a new HD and reload Leopard. My question is: How do I get all the pictures that are on the iphone IN THE PHOTO LIBRARY AND NOT THOSE TAKEN BY THE IPHONE back onto my Mac?
A similar question is: how do I get all of the music on the iphone back onto the Mac????

The pictures were originally stored on the macbook, and then synced in full resolution mode to the iphone. To reiterate, the pictures are in the iphone photo library, NOT the camera roll. I have been pointed to and tried: senuti, Diskaid, and the iphoto app. None of them are able to see the photos in the photo library.
If this were a Windoz or Linux platform, it would be a non-issue for me. Hmmm, are there any tools under Linxu that talk to the iphone?

(Yes, I know about doing backups...problem is my son is just learning and I was not 'watching' He now knows why they are done and done more than once every 6 mo...).http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon12.gif

Thanks for your help....
-J

Greetings;


I found your entry and had to register to the forum to answer, so this is my first post.

I had the same problem, i happened to have an app on my iPhone called "PhotoSafe", an app for protecting private photos. You can buy this on appstore.

With this app, you can grab any and all of the photos from your library, transferring them to that app - then you can send them from that app back to your photo library. This time however, they are on the camera roll and thus accessible from any computer. Transfer your photos to your desktop before wiping your iphone.

Admittedly, this is kind of a round-about solution and could take hours if you have thousands of photos, but in light of not finding another solution, this one worked for me.

Hope that helps.
i-betyar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:10 PM   #3
gslrider
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Phoneview works pretty good too. You don't even need iTunes.
__________________
Mac Pro Xeon 8-core 2.8, 10GB ram, 256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT, OS X 10.8.5, iPhone 5S 32GB
gslrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:51 PM   #4
wacky4alanis
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
You're lucky they were on there in full-res! Most people who do this are appalled to find out that their once beautiful photos have been shrunk to the tiny default iPhone size. My photo library is WAY too big to store on an iPhone in full-res. Mine are backed up to 2 other hard drives.
wacky4alanis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:07 PM   #5
gslrider
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky4alanis View Post
You're lucky they were on there in full-res! Most people who do this are appalled to find out that their once beautiful photos have been shrunk to the tiny default iPhone size. My photo library is WAY too big to store on an iPhone in full-res. Mine are backed up to 2 other hard drives.
I normally back up my photos to my computer whenever I sync my phone. But even then at full res and about 435 pics (not including apps, music and videos), I still have about 6GB of space left on my 16GB iP4. My pics have never been "shrunk" down. Does the iPhone really do this without you knowing?
__________________
Mac Pro Xeon 8-core 2.8, 10GB ram, 256MB Radeon HD 2600 XT, OS X 10.8.5, iPhone 5S 32GB
gslrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:47 PM   #6
three-jeeps
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-betyar View Post
Greetings;


I found your entry and had to register to the forum to answer, so this is my first post.

I had the same problem, i happened to have an app on my iPhone called "PhotoSafe", an app for protecting private photos. You can buy this on appstore.

With this app, you can grab any and all of the photos from your library, transferring them to that app - then you can send them from that app back to your photo library. This time however, they are on the camera roll and thus accessible from any computer. Transfer your photos to your desktop before wiping your iphone.

Admittedly, this is kind of a round-about solution and could take hours if you have thousands of photos, but in light of not finding another solution, this one worked for me.

Hope that helps.
thank you! I did not know about that app...Sounds like a reasonable solution.

-John
three-jeeps is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deleting Photo Library photos in iOS7 emulajavi iOS 7 2 Jul 15, 2013 10:36 AM
Best app to move photos from photo library to camera roll? sk24iam iPhone and iPod touch Apps 3 Jan 7, 2013 11:45 AM
Photo Library+ Finally organize your photos by person and any way you want. mozzarello iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Nov 27, 2012 06:21 AM
How do I transfer photos from iPhone photo library? calumca Mac Basics and Help 6 Nov 21, 2012 05:12 PM
How to save my precious photos from my iPhone Photo library? soos iPhone 2 Jul 27, 2012 02:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC