Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:55 PM   #1
heesey1010
macrumors member

Unhappy iMac Graphite G3 date/time problem

Hi all,
I have an iMac G3 graphite that I bought recently for $30 bucks. Love the little thing, always wanted one since I was in elementary school. The thing is this...my parents have this crazy idea that unplugging everything that's not being used will save on their power bill. I'm in college and I didn't bring up the iMac (i have a MacBook lol), so my iMac was the victim of an unplugging. I come back to find that the date's been reset to 1963 and a time not even close to current time.

My first impulse is to think that it is the CMOS battery that is dead...but if it was dead, wouldn't the computer not start up? Or have my basics of computing gone kaput?

Thanks
heesey1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:04 PM   #2
dvince2
macrumors 6502

What happens when you set it to the current time and restart/shut down? Does it forget the time and revert back to 0? or does it keep the time?

I just got an iMac G3 myself, and it came set to the year 1999. I put it forward to the correct date, and it's held it.
dvince2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:25 PM   #3
heesey1010
macrumors member

If the computer is restarted/shut down, it still holds the time. The "magic" comes when I unplug the computer. Granted I haven't actually done time trials to see if its an instantaneous thing or if, after a certain amount of time unplugged, it reverts to that weird time. I should also say it's the same date/time it reverts to every time it does it...
heesey1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:31 PM   #4
PurrBall
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to PurrBall
I would say that the battery is most likely gone. Unfortunately, they cost about as much as what you paid for the machine.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:04 PM   #5
MrM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurrBall View Post
I would say that the battery is most likely gone. Unfortunately, they cost about as much as what you paid for the machine.
I used to buy them for $8 from a local electronics store.
MrM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:07 PM   #6
marbles
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by heesey1010 View Post
If the computer is restarted/shut down, it still holds the time. The "magic" comes when I unplug the computer. Granted I haven't actually done time trials to see if its an instantaneous thing or if, after a certain amount of time unplugged, it reverts to that weird time. I should also say it's the same date/time it reverts to every time it does it...
Got one myself, does the same thing , buy the PRAM battery for a few like mentioned about $8 sounds right or do what I do and don't unplugg it

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs