Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1
atomheartmother
macrumors regular

Broken Powerbook: How to tell what's wrong?

I'm looking to buy a "broken" Powerbook from someone for pretty cheap. The seller stated that he was told by a Mac Store that all it needs is a new hard drive. When asked about what happens when it turns on, he said: "Acts like it's booting into OSX and then a black dos like screen pops up with a login prompt."

Are there any things I can have him do to figure out if that's the only problem?
atomheartmother is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Moriarty
macrumors 6502

Get him to try to boot from the original OS disc. If that works, and a format/reinstall on the current HDD won't work, then it probably is the HDD.

Otherwise, it's some other problem. In which case I wouldn't bother buying the Powerbook. Replacing the hard drive is cheap as long as you can do it yourself, most other parts are much more expensive.

If he has lost the OS reinstall discs, I'd give it a miss as well, OS X is expensive to buy brand new to install on an old Powerbook, and I'd be wary of buying a second-hand copy of Tiger or something off the internet.
Moriarty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 08:43 PM   #3
atomheartmother
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Get him to try to boot from the original OS disc. If that works, and a format/reinstall on the current HDD won't work, then it probably is the HDD.

Otherwise, it's some other problem. In which case I wouldn't bother buying the Powerbook. Replacing the hard drive is cheap as long as you can do it yourself, most other parts are much more expensive.

If he has lost the OS reinstall discs, I'd give it a miss as well, OS X is expensive to buy brand new to install on an old Powerbook, and I'd be wary of buying a second-hand copy of Tiger or something off the internet.
He doesn't have the discs. I think I have a copy of Tiger at home.
atomheartmother is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs