Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Mar 1, 2009, 08:04 PM   #1
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Anyone else experience a Springboard Crash?

I was just checking my 3G iPhone and I noticed a prompt that said that my Springboard Crashed and that it was now operating in "Safe Mode" and that I had a recent software upgrade that caused the crash and I must restart my iPhone and press OK or restart. When it started up again, there were twelve apps added to my homescreen that were normally on other pages...
Old Mar 3, 2009, 08:16 AM   #2
shrubz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFStateStudent View Post
I was just checking my 3G iPhone and I noticed a prompt that said that my Springboard Crashed and that it was now operating in "Safe Mode" and that I had a recent software upgrade that caused the crash and I must restart my iPhone and press OK or restart. When it started up again, there were twelve apps added to my homescreen that were normally on other pages...
My springboard crashes occasionally, usually when its being resprung. It hasn't caused me any problems, although sometimes the icons get rearranged.
shrubz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Knowlege Bomb
macrumors 68040

I had this happen a couple times one day. A restore from backup fixed the issue.
Knowlege Bomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Tokiopop
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Tokiopop Send a message via Skype™ to Tokiopop
Yeah, I've had this before. I think we've all had it at least once

I'm afraid your sarcasm detectors are broken, good sir.

Last edited by Tokiopop; Mar 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
Tokiopop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Gix1k
macrumors 68020

My Safari has crashed quite a bit recently.
MacBook Pro Retina 13"
Gix1k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Zepol
macrumors newbie

ive had about three crashes this week. not in the same day. but still.
Zepol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:59 PM   #7
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
This is my first crash with the Springboard for my 3G iPhone and my v1 iPhone, so that's why I was concerned. It sounds like it's a normal thing for most of you; but I was just wondering if the new Safari 4 Public Beta had anything to do with this crash?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Tokiopop
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Tokiopop Send a message via Skype™ to Tokiopop
Quote:
This is my first crash with the Springboard for my 3G iPhone and my v1 iPhone, so that's why I was concerned. It sounds like it's a normal thing for most of you; but I was just wondering if the new Safari 4 Public Beta had anything to do with this crash?
What the new version of Safari got to do with the iPhone?

I'm afraid your sarcasm detectors are broken, good sir.
Tokiopop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 04:50 PM   #9
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokiopop View Post
What the new version of Safari got to do with the iPhone?
Well, apparently it's got something to do with the 3G iPhone...

After a little bit of googling I found this article:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/02...iphone-safari/
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:30 AM   #10
michael.lauden
macrumors 68020

Lightbulb

on my iPhone 2G 2.2.1 JB... springboard would crash when i had the notifier widget installed. however a simple uninstallation fixed this.

also i had a theme installed for dialer. can't think of what it was - but it included a 'smart' dialer' feature, which made the mobilephone crash - crippling the very core of the iPhone.

for me all i had to do is uninstall both times any apps that could logically cause problems.

i.e - smart dialer = phone
notifier widget = latest springboard enhancement

just keep track of what you install so when you encounter a problem you don't have to go crazy!
michael.lauden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:20 PM   #11
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.lauden View Post
just keep track of what you install so when you encounter a problem you don't have to go crazy!
Thanks Michael, that's definitely gonna' help, since I've loaded the notifier widget most recently...
Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:43 PM   #12
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
When I was jailbroken this used to be a daily occurrence.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 03:29 PM   #13
The Admiral
macrumors member

i noticed this behavior for a few days last week and it appears to have been caused by the five-icon dock
Old Mar 8, 2009, 06:18 PM   #14
michael.lauden
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Thanks Michael, that's definitely gonna' help, since I've loaded the notifier widget most recently...
oh yeah! and if you can't stand the crashing - i'll just take that beautiful white iPhone off your hands
michael.lauden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 08:12 PM   #15
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.lauden View Post
oh yeah! and if you can't stand the crashing - i'll just take that beautiful white iPhone off your hands
PM me with your personal information and we got a deal! JOKING! Are you kidding? The War Department would stop my iPhone Allowance...
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:28 PM   #16
clearchaos
macrumors regular

i installed a theme that came with a bunch of blank icons for arranging my springboard, but when i try to delete them my springboard crashes and goes into safe mode.
i guess i'll do a restore tomorrow.
clearchaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:32 PM   #17
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearchaos View Post
i installed a theme that came with a bunch of blank icons for arranging my springboard, but when i try to delete them my springboard crashes and goes into safe mode.
i guess i'll do a restore tomorrow.
That's exactly what mine did today 3X already. On top of that it rearranges all of my icons and moves the bottom row of each of the nine screens; who knows which page they'll show up on???
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:43 PM   #18
bobfitz14
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's exactly what mine did today 3X already. On top of that it rearranges all of my icons and moves the bottom row of each of the nine screens; who knows which page they'll show up on???
9 pages! damn! i have four pages and thought that was kind of a lot...anyways, my Springboard has crashed only twice in the past six or so months, but luckily the icons have never rearranged. it seems like it's normal though if the Springboard crashed that icons can get moved.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 01:12 AM   #19
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfitz14 View Post
9 pages! damn! i have four pages and thought that was kind of a lot...anyways, my Springboard has crashed only twice in the past six or so months, but luckily the icons have never rearranged. it seems like it's normal though if the Springboard crashed that icons can get moved.
Yeah, I know that's a ton of apps, but I just decided to delete some of the ones that I don't seem to use that much or possible duplicate or similar card games, but keep the better of the two. So, now I've got several pages without a bottom row of icons.....
Old Jul 1, 2010, 04:35 PM   #20
iMacbook108
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Springboard Crashing

I have an iPod Touch 2nd Gen on iOS 4 and this is happening to me too. I noticed that it started happening when I installed 'LiveClock' from Cydia. This also happens when I install 'WeatherIcon' from Cydia. and the only way to get rid of 'Safe Mode' is to uninstall them. I trying re-booting and re-springing and nothing different happened. But I want 'WeatherIcon' and 'LiveClock'. Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.PNG
Views:	89
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	235766  
iMacbook108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 09:49 PM   #21
hefty
macrumors newbie

New guy here..... I'm having the same issue (Liveclock), how do I delete those from my phone?
Thanks
hefty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:03 AM   #22
Quintor
macrumors newbie

Kind of on the same note. I have an iphone 3g running ios 3.1.3, and i have springboard crashes atleast once every few days. My question is, will alot of crashes harm my phone in the long run?
Quintor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:11 AM   #23
xAnthony
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintor View Post
Kind of on the same note. I have an iphone 3g running ios 3.1.3, and i have springboard crashes atleast once every few days. My question is, will alot of crashes harm my phone in the long run?
Crashes can't harm your phone at all. But I would recommend finding the culprit of the constant crashes and remove it. They are annoying and it's just going to keep happening.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 02:23 PM   #24
Quintor
macrumors newbie

Hey thanks, i appreciate it. I was really worried the crashes might somehow damage software on the phone
Quintor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:16 AM   #25
ShvRlltt
macrumors newbie

Hey people I have an iPod Touch (4th Gen) with iOS 5 jailbroken with redsn0w. I do not have Wi-Fi, and therefore use CyderII to download applications and then copy them over to Cydia. Recently I downloaded a few themes, and installed them, and after re-springing through winterboard, I got the message saying that my Springboard had crashed. No amounts of reboots or resprings are helping. I'm trying to delete the packages I recently added to Cydia, but the Packages tab shows a blank list. Under sources, I only have ONE source, instead of seven. Can somebody help me? I don't feel like restoring and re-jailbreak9ing.
ShvRlltt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks