Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeltp85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Hi,

I'm new to the Mac world so I could use a little advice. I just want to know what you guys think would be a fair price for a used (three years old, good condition) PowerBook G4. Here's the hardware overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook 5,7
Operating system: OS-X 10.4.11
Screen Size: 17 inch
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number of CPU's: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cashe (per CPU) 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB DDR SDRAM
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f3
Sudden Motion Sensor: state enabled, version 1.0

There's virtually no software on it, just the stripped down hardware. The price we've been offered is $975. Is this good? Fair? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel

Floris1994

Jan 4, 2009
This is just my opinion.

Much to high because it is powerpc. I can understand they paid a lot for it in the day but with the switch to intel powerpc mac's are just not worth very much...

Unless you can get it for like 450, don't buy it. Get a macbook or an older macbook pro if you need to get a bigger screen.

joeltp85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
This is just my opinion.

Much to high because it is powerpc. I can understand they paid a lot for it in the day but with the switch to intel powerpc mac's are just not worth very much...

Unless you can get it for like 450, don't buy it. Get a macbook or an older macbook pro if you need to get a bigger screen.

Thanks, Floris1994. The guy who's selling it even told me he's giving me a discount on it. Now you're telling me that it's worth about $450, tops. Is this guy trying to rip me off?

Thanks again for the advice.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Thanks, Floris1994. The guy who's selling it even told me he's giving me a discount on it. Now you're telling me that it's worth about $450, tops. Is this guy trying to rip me off?

$450 isn't tops, that's near minimum for a model like that. You could get lucky and score one for that price, but expect $600 or so to be the norm.

Floris1994

Jan 4, 2009

Well mabey more than 450 but anything over 700 is a rip off. What I am mostly saying is unless you really need a 17" screen you should get a Macbook because you can get those for about 800 used and are way better.

Floris1994

Jan 4, 2009
$450 isn't tops, that's near minimum for a model like that. You could get lucky and score one for that price, but expect $600 or so to be the norm.

I completely agree I just think unless he can get a really good deal (450) he should get something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.