Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krogers34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I haven't heard anything since macworld and thought it was suppose to be out by now

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
They said they were going to submit to apple by the end of the 1st quarter, which technically means 3/31, then who knows how long it will take for it to be accepted (or denied:().

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
hope it will get here soon.. ill have to dig out my slingbox and get it hooked up.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
It might be rejected, because from what I know, the next :apple:TV WILL HAVE sling-box like capability built in.

They will announce it on March 24, with immediate availability.

Four20

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
When will this new Apple TV be released? I've been wanting to get one but I should wait until the new one comes out, so I can get the older one cheaper.

I don't care about the sling feature at all, I just need something better to stream my media than my Xbox 360(with no playlist support).

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
It might be rejected, because from what I know, the next :apple:TV WILL HAVE sling-box like capability built in.

They will announce it on March 24, with immediate availability.

As far fetched as this claim sounds, It would not surprise me in the least. Apple has a long history of letting hardware and software developers innovate for Apple and then get bought out or cut out of the loop by Apple.

It would be a brick sized slap in the face to Slingmedia if Apple can get away with it without having to buyout Sling.

As a consumer I'll buy whichever is available or better. looking forward to either one.

seenett

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
...It would be a brick sized slap in the face to Slingmedia if Apple can get away with it without having to buyout Sling.

I doubt Apple has any interest in buying out Sling, especially since Sling is owned by EchoStar (Dish Network). A better fit would be to buy Netflix which has a market cap of just over $2 billion. Pocket change for Apple. Netflix has a built in subscription revenue stream which would integrate nicely with an upgraded Apple TV.

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
I doubt Apple has any interest in buying out Sling, especially since Sling is owned by EchoStar (Dish Network). A better fit would be to buy Netflix which has a market cap of just over $2 billion. Pocket change for Apple. Netflix has a built in subscription revenue stream which would integrate nicely with an upgraded Apple TV.

Now that would be nice, especially if you could play the watch instant content on AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.