Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kg1984

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
As the title says, I need to get hold of some 800k 3.5" floppy disks to download some data off of an old Macintosh Plus. The only useful site I've found on the web is this one: http://net68000.freeshell.org/400k-800k.html, but the stores it recommends don't seem to sell them anymore. Does anyone know any that do? I'm UK-based but at this point will not mind buying them from a US store and having them shipped. I've also tried eBay but to no avail.

Any help greatly appreciated.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Are you just trying to play around with the Plus, or are you looking for a reliable solution? I've genuinely had luck just taping over the hole on a 1.44MB floppy. I know it's not a super safe way to store data, but for the most part it works fine, and it's allowed me to play around with a 800KB floppied Mac when no other convenient option was available.

EDIT: Maybe I should have read more closely - if you're just trying to get data off the system, I'd give my method a try.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Are you just trying to play around with the Plus, or are you looking for a reliable solution? I've genuinely had luck just taping over the hole on a 1.44MB floppy. I know it's not a super safe way to store data, but for the most part it works fine, and it's allowed me to play around with a 800KB floppied Mac when no other convenient option was available.

EDIT: Maybe I should have read more closely - if you're just trying to get data off the system, I'd give my method a try.

I'll add my vote to this method. I've used this before and it works like a charm. However, you'll still need another older mac to read the 800K disks as USB Floppy Drives don't support 800K disks.
________
Volvo C70

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.