Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:44 PM   #1
whitefang
Banned

Taking screenshots, scroll down?

I have an document open and want to take a screenshot but some of the content would have to be viewed by scrolling. When I take the screenshot (command + control + shift + 4), I can't scroll down on the window. Any solution?
whitefang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:46 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Print the document to pdf and share that.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:02 PM   #3
whitefang
Banned

I originally decided to take my notes from OneNotes and copy over to Pages. Because I can't open OneNote format in OSX, I had to publish out a PDF and screenshot some of the complex "table" structures. I could've just screenshot them in the PC.

Anyways, I found a better solution. Directly copy them from prof notes online into pages which works perfectly.

But I'd still like to know how to screenshot something when the content is in a scrollable panel.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:04 PM   #4
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Then that wouldn't exactly be a shot of your screen now would it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:05 PM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Fine. You cannot screen shot a window and expect the window to scroll. I think it's called a screen shot for this very reason. When you take a SS of a specific space you're only indicating what you'd like to clip that is VISIBLE on screen.

You can't see what is beneath the scroll bar you can't scroll with the mouse using the built-in SS feature in OSX.

BTW I am not being an ******* and echoing MacDawg's statement, I just have fat slow fingers that don't work as well as his apparently do. And my posts wouldn't be my posts if I didn't add some level of jerkiness to them.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:06 PM   #6
whitefang
Banned

Is there any apps to scroll when taking a screenshot?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:10 PM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I went to this site called google and found this application, while it appears to be windows only it will give you some nice hints as to what keywords to search for over at that new site google.com. You see, what you want is not entirely common imo, for that reason alone finding the best way to describe what you want in life is probably prudent to your success in finding the application for OSX.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:11 PM   #8
jamesdmc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefang View Post
When I take the screenshot (command + control + shift + 4), I can't scroll down on the window. Any solution?
There is a solution, but it's not free: Little Snapper.

James
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Giltai
macrumors newbie

Work around

I 'd like a solution too !! my work around is to shrink the screen "command -" not the best idea but if your just missing out on what you want to take a picture of it works
Giltai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 09:59 AM   #10
rswc90
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
I went to this site called google and found this application, while it appears to be windows only it will give you some nice hints as to what keywords to search for over at that new site google.com. You see, what you want is not entirely common imo, for that reason alone finding the best way to describe what you want in life is probably prudent to your success in finding the application for OSX.
Your suggested application is for a PC - not a mac
rswc90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:59 PM   #11
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswc90 View Post
Your suggested application is for a PC - not a mac
The suggestion was made 5 years ago: Mar 2, 2009.

I'm unable to discern your goal. Are you posting because you have a screenshot problem you want to solve, or because you want to correct a post from 5 years ago?
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:58 AM   #12
rswc90
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
The suggestion was made 5 years ago: Mar 2, 2009.

I'm unable to discern your goal. Are you posting because you have a screenshot problem you want to solve, or because you want to correct a post from 5 years ago?
Sorry -- didn't notice the date -- was searching (frantically) to find a way to take a rolling screen shot of a document (not a web page). My apologies again for not noticing the date.
rswc90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2014, 02:43 PM   #13
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswc90 View Post
Sorry -- didn't notice the date -- was searching (frantically) to find a way to take a rolling screen shot of a document (not a web page). My apologies again for not noticing the date.
Exactly what is your goal?

Post #2 suggests printing to PDF. This still works. In fact, it works better now than it did in 2009.

Printing to PDF is done using the "PDF" button that appears at lower left in the Print dialog (File menu, Print menu-item). Click the PDF button, and it presents a drop-down menu of actions. One is "Save to PDF". Choose that, and proceed with saving to a specific folder, with a chosen name.

If printing to PDF is an inadequate solution, then please explain exactly what you need, and from what application.

Also, did you check the Mac App Store to see what's available? If so, what did you find, and why wasn't it suitable?
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help