Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 3, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
cybertron3
macrumors member

PowerMacG5 -> New iMac = Performance Increase?

I am currently running a G5 PowerMac 2x2.3Ghz (This one). It is hooked up to 2x17" apple LCDs. I have upgraded the ram to 6.5GB (It was getting slow with 1.5GB and, well, go big or go home).

I am now looking at the high end iMac. I don't really need all the power of the mac pro anymore, but I certainly like to keep a bunch of apps open. I usually have Safari, Firefox, iTunes, an FTP app like Transit, a text app like TextMate and something to code in like Eclipse or XCode open at the same time. I might even add parallels to the list with a new intel mac. Will the new iMac be able to handle all that? Any ideas from current iMac owners?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 3, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
robotartfashion
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertron3 View Post
I am currently running a G5 PowerMac 2x2.3Ghz (This one). It is hooked up to 2x17" apple LCDs. I have upgraded the ram to 6.5GB (It was getting slow with 1.5GB and, well, go big or go home).

I am now looking at the high end iMac. I don't really need all the power of the mac pro anymore, but I certainly like to keep a bunch of apps open. I usually have Safari, Firefox, iTunes, an FTP app like Transit, a text app like TextMate and something to code in like Eclipse or XCode open at the same time. I might even add parallels to the list with a new intel mac. Will the new iMac be able to handle all that? Any ideas from current iMac owners?

Thanks in advance
i could do most of that comfortably with my old (still in service, about to become a kitchen computer in my new place) white core duo imac w/2 gb of ram (i run xp in fusion)

seriously, the intel machines over the ppcs are like night and day

any of the imacs will be fine for you
Old Mar 3, 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
cybertron3
macrumors member

Awesome- thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs