Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JNRidgway15

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Australia
Dose the old Mac Mini handle 1080i without lags and can it handle tv recording or should I just buy the current gen?? any advice would be great as I want a full blown media centre like my old Windows MCE :eek:

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
The new Mini will be much better suited as a media center computer than the previous one. I think if I remember correctly the old one can handle 1080i, but the new Mini with the 9400m will be much more future proofed than the older one with the Intel graphics.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
I don't like the mini dvi and the fact that you gotta buy a 100 dollar adapter to connect to your tv. I ll take my chances with the older mac mini maybe the 1.83 c2d. They should be real cheap right now .. :cool:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't like the mini dvi and the fact that you gotta buy a 100 dollar adapter to connect to your tv. I ll take my chances with the older mac mini maybe the 1.83 c2d. They should be real cheap right now .. :cool:

$100 cable?

Where did you get ripped off from?

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I will second that notion lol.

I wish they put a HDMI port (w/ audio) in it instead of a MDP though... Would make the whole home theater thing that much easier.

well i think soon enough apple will expand the functionality of the mini display port through software updates

from what i understand it has the capability of digital audio ala hdmi but apple just hasn't taken advantage of it yet

so that means in the future display port to hdmi adapter with all of the frills and avoidance of the licensing costs by apple :)

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Aye.

You are probably looking at the DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI cable which costs a lot. The DisplayPort to DVI is only $30 or something..

Just looked again . it's only mini to vga adapter. They are still sweet machines but i might go in and see at the apple store could they work with my flat screen. My mac mini system is due for a update. Takes too long to convert movies to mp4

ZackAttack77

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Why not just wait for the new ATV.....you know its coming....all the hype about the atom with the nvida ion....nows its a given its going to be for the new ATV....anyone thinking the 24th of this month?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
what does that mean. does that mean i can connect a dvi to hdmi adapter to it and it will work.....?

it's on the apple website..

Why not just wait for the new ATV.....you know its coming....all the hype about the atom with the nvida ion....nows its a given its going to be for the new ATV....anyone thinking the 24th of this month?

Apple TV will never have a DVD drive, and you will never be able to attach a USB hard drive to it either.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
well i think soon enough apple will expand the functionality of the mini display port through software updates

from what i understand it has the capability of digital audio ala hdmi but apple just hasn't taken advantage of it yet

so that means in the future display port to hdmi adapter with all of the frills and avoidance of the licensing costs by apple :)

can you tell me what cable gives the best picture, if connecting the previous mini to a 1080p plasma?

ZackAttack77

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Ya, it will never have a dvd drive; but the whole point of the media server is to digitalize your dvd\bluray discs to files.....I admit it would be nice to have the option to put a DVD in but without a blu ray drive (hopefully they will add that option shortly) I can't see making the jump to a mac mini. You could build a hackintosh for the same price with a blue ray drive; and faster specs but you would have to sacrifice the smaller form factor for that; also you can attach a external usb to the ATV by using the usb patch stick.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
can you tell me what cable gives the best picture, if connecting the previous mini to a 1080p plasma?

HDMI/DVI, obviously...that's the only purely digital way to connect it to a TV. Throw adapters in there for using an HDMI cable or for using a DVI cable, it doesn't matter, it's the same signal.

macrockbuddy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
I've wanted to hook a mini as a htpc for some time now. But only recently, I've noticed that front row is kind of bland and not as full featured as Apple TV. I can't say much for plex, but using a 3rd party app doesn't excited me. I'd seriously consider getting an updated ATV when they come out, especially since you know boxee is going to work on it again eventually (I love hulu)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.