Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Harlowgold1
macrumors member

Mac Mini Support Dual Monitors?

My brother and I are disagreeing over the new MAC Mini and the two video cable connections on the back. He said it will support dual monitors and I said it is just a different type of connection for one monitor. Who is right?

Thanks - Jenny
Harlowgold1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Two monitors but over different connectors/adapters.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Tesselator
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlowgold1 View Post
My brother and I are disagreeing over the new MAC Mini and the two video cable connections on the back. He said it will support dual monitors and I said it is just a different type of connection for one monitor. Who is right?

Thanks - Jenny
Apple says it has 2 video ports and with an adaptor on one of the (non-standard) ports two LCD monitors can be connected.
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:05 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

From http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
Quote:
Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on a DVI or VGA display; up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on a dual-link DVI display using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
Also, from http://www.apple.com/macmini/features.html
Quote:
Expand your experience.
There’s nothing quite like seeing your photos and movies on a big, beautiful display. Unless, of course, you add a second. Mac mini comes with both mini-DVI and Mini DisplayPort output ports, so you can connect up to two displays.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:19 PM   #5
stevo8
macrumors 6502

Does that mean both monitors will display the exact same thing or can they be used seperately like you can with a mb/mbp/iMac?
stevo8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:20 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8 View Post
Does that mean both monitors will display the exact same thing or can they be used seperately like you can with a mb/mbp/iMac?
Did you read my post?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:48 PM   #7
upaymeifixit
macrumors 6502a

Your brother.

Your brother is right. It will support duel monitors. Just over the two different connections. He said it.
upaymeifixit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 02:06 PM   #8
PaulexPC
macrumors member

So is the the recommended method to use two DVI monitors at the same time?

Connect monitor #1 with the Mini DVI to DVI adapter
Connect monitor #2 with the mini-displayport to DVI adapter

?

Sorry if it seems obvious, but I am fairly new to Mac.
PaulexPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 02:19 PM   #9
hipsheik
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Hallelujah! Worth the price of admission alone for us who work with 2 monitors and don't need a Mac Pro. It's about time.
hipsheik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:48 PM   #10
vns
macrumors newbie

What I really would like to know is if those two displays can be/are separated? For example, if I put a DVD in Mac Mini, will it start playing automatically on one display, while I have computer on the other display, without me dragging the window from one monitor to the other one?

Or Netflix or Hulu, for example, can we set up Mac Mini to play it on specific display?

Thanks.

P.S. I read GGJstudios' reply. Cheers.
vns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:55 PM   #11
iGrant
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iGrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by vns View Post
What I really would like to know is if those two displays can be/are separated? For example, if I put a DVD in Mac Mini, will it start playing automatically on one display, while I have computer on the other display, without me dragging the window from one monitor to the other one?

Or Netflix or Hulu, for example, can we set up Mac Mini to play it on specific display?

Thanks.

P.S. I read GGJstudios' reply. Cheers.
Yes you can setup it up to do all those things. I know OS X can handle it as I have done it for my father's Mac Pro, I don't see any reason the Mac Mini can't do it, its all software based at that point, not hardware.

-iGrant
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:57 PM   #12
cherry su
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulexPC View Post
So is the the recommended method to use two DVI monitors at the same time?

Connect monitor #1 with the Mini DVI to DVI adapter
Connect monitor #2 with the mini-displayport to DVI adapter

?

Sorry if it seems obvious, but I am fairly new to Mac.
Yes, this will work. No worries
cherry su is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:13 AM   #13
vns
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it.
vns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:33 PM   #14
turbobass
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by upaymeifixit View Post
Your brother is right. It will support duel monitors. Just over the two different connections. He said it.
I can confirm that this is the case as I currently have the setup now -- HDMI and MiniDisplay port, both adapted to DVI into 2 Dell UltraSharp U2711 27" monitors. The desktop is successfully spanned across both monitors, even though they are hung in an up/down configuration (using the monitor controls to flip one display I believe).

What I don't think anyone here knows is (but am hoping they do): Is there a performance bonus you can get by instead a 3rd party device to use just one of the display ports on the back of the Mac Mini (either HDMI or MiniDisplayPort) instead of using both HDMI and MiniDisplayport at once? I've noticed a little sluggishness with the Mini in this new configuration and I want to see if I can put the burden of that on an external device.
turbobass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 03:58 PM   #15
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobass View Post
What I don't think anyone here knows is (but am hoping they do): Is there a performance bonus you can get by instead a 3rd party device to use just one of the display ports on the back of the Mac Mini (either HDMI or MiniDisplayPort) instead of using both HDMI and MiniDisplayport at once? I've noticed a little sluggishness with the Mini in this new configuration and I want to see if I can put the burden of that on an external device.
I've noticed a sluggishness even with one monitor when I use it as a rotated display. Based on that experience, I'd suspect your rotated "upside down" monitor.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 08:26 PM   #16
weirdwilbur
macrumors newbie

CRT Monitor?

My Mac mini runs an LCD monitor. I turn off the mini and throw a toggle to get it to run a 2006 HP CRT in another room. Lately that choreography has become unhandy. Is it possible that both monitors could be run simultaneously from a Y connector, or simply use both ports? I know only that electricity is too weird for me.

Last edited by weirdwilbur; Oct 24, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
weirdwilbur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:39 AM   #17
Heilage
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobass View Post
I can confirm that this is the case as I currently have the setup now -- HDMI and MiniDisplay port, both adapted to DVI into 2 Dell UltraSharp U2711 27" monitors. The desktop is successfully spanned across both monitors, even though they are hung in an up/down configuration (using the monitor controls to flip one display I believe).

How do you get 2560x1440 over HDMI?
Heilage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:30 AM   #18
Stan Mikulenka
macrumors 6502

Hi,
how about this:
Attached Images

Stan Mikulenka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:31 AM   #19
Xil3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
So there's no way to setup 4 displays?
Xil3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 07:22 PM   #20
JWalker1995
macrumors regular

Would a mac mini work fine on dual monitors or would you upgrade to 4 or 8gb RAM
Macbook Air 2014 1.4ghz i5 8gb 256gb/SSD
JWalker1995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:02 AM   #21
user52839307
macrumors newbie

My multi-display setup

Just to weigh in, I have two displays attached to my mac mini. One DVI monitor to the mini DVI port and my television to the HDMI port. Works great, I can watch hulu/netflix on my 32" screen.

It works best if I do not mirror the displays as they are set to different resolutions. I set the monitor to 1680x1050 and the TV display to 1080p.
user52839307 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:37 AM   #22
iPhisch
macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1124505

didn't we just talk about this a few days ago?
iPhisch is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:22 AM   #23
jkoe
macrumors newbie

USB to DVI? Up to 6 monitors?

Has anyone tried this device? According to the website it can support up to 6 monitors (two through the standard monitor methods, I assume, plus one each for each of the USB ports which means, of course, if you use 6 monitors, you can't use the USB ports for anything else...).

Quote:
Want to add more monitors to your computer? It’s easy with Gefen's adapter. Just add more USB to DVI adapters and connect each one up to another monitor. You simultaneously use up to six additional monitors.
http://sewelldirect.com/articles/mac...r-support.aspx
jkoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:25 AM   #24
dcoulson
macrumors member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoe View Post
Has anyone tried this device? According to the website it can support up to 6 monitors (two through the standard monitor methods, I assume, plus one each for each of the USB ports which means, of course, if you use 6 monitors, you can't use the USB ports for anything else...).
I don't have that specific adapter, but I have one using the same chipset which OWC sells... Works great for most applications, but is horrible with video and flash. I've only done one DisplayLink adapter, with the two video ports on my Mini - Never gone to four or above.
dcoulson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:10 PM   #25
gene77
macrumors newbie

Question specific to 2007 2,1 model Mac Mini

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and going through all the posts I see that everyone is mostly talking about the 2009+ Mac Mini models.

I have an older one (2007 2,1 model Mac Mini) - is there anyway I can use this with dual monitors?

My aim is to (if possible) connect an HDTV for my kids in addition to the existing 22 inch Viewsonic monitor for my own work.

From what I know, I only have a DVI port .... thanks for reading!
gene77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini