Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freethinker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
WATCH OUT

:mad:

I've just noticed some problems with the display of my brand NEW (bought about 1 weeks ago) MacBook Pro 17-inch Unibody Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display (UK specification, display model: 9CAC).

Display illumination/backlit is very UNEVEN and can be seen when watching a dark scene on a movie or working with a dark backgrounds (B&W photos etc.). There is some inconsistencies in the screen especially around the corners and the bottom of the screen and it appears a lighter shade of grey in these parts.

I've already arranged a replacement from Online Apple Store and my Build-To-Order Unibody MBP 17" Antiglare replacement is on its way now. So I STILL WANT an ANTIGLARE option.
But if a replacement unit still doesn't look good - I will try and try so on till APPLE manage to produce, quality control and deliver an appropriate quality product they declare to be a flagship of PRO line.

I can't understand why Apple would release a matte screen- which is aimed at high end designers, photographers, photo editors, etc, unless it was great quality.

ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE for such PROfessional laptop as MacBook Pro:

2.3 million pixels of perfection.

With the high-resolution LED-backlit widescreen display on the 17-inch MacBook Pro, you get desktop-quality color in an Apple notebook for the first time. The moment you open your MacBook Pro, you’re greeted instantly by full, corner-to-corner screen brightness. The 1920-by-1200-pixel resolution (133 pixels per inch) means you can view more palettes and windows or watch HD video in its native 1920-by-1080 resolution. Perfect whether you’re working in the studio or out in the field, the display offers a 60 percent greater color gamut than previous generations for richer, more vibrant colors and a 700:1 contrast ratio that makes whites brighter and blacks blacker. In addition, the seamless glass enclosure makes the display stronger and more durable. Because it’s power efficient and the glass is mercury- and arsenic-free, it’s greener than ever. And now you can choose a standard glossy display or an optional antiglare display, depending on your needs.

I can see those artifacts in alight room condition but I took some photos in the darkness to increase a clearness with the following setup:

1) photos taken using tripod and CANON EOS 30D camera in the darkness to increase a clearness
2) full brightness of the display
3) completely even 100% black background in Photoshop's full screen mode
4) I tried to receive pictures of what and how I seeing it on the display
5) photos processed and saved for WEB in Adobe Lightroom without any adjustments applied

Photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/freelancer.by/MyUnibodyMacBookPro17Inch?authkey=Gv1sRgCNnWzdax-cGeggE#

I'll definitely let you know how it goes with my replacement unit when it arrived.

Thanks

P.S. I have updated link to my web album + uploaded new photos for all three units I had so far (original + 1st and 2nd replacement)

http://picasaweb.google.com/freelancer.by/MyUnibodyMacBookPro17Inch?authkey=Gv1sRgCNnWzdax-cGeggE#

I've left same comments on Apple Discussions forum: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1923032&tstart=0

Attachments

• IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 220

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Looks 100% normal to me. My 15" unibody looks like ass at 100% brightness with the lights off. So much light bleed my EYES bleed. But under normal conditions I don't see it.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
hahaha gutted to all those people who got matte :D my glossy doesn't have any lightbleed whatsoever, not even a tiny bit. I wonder if this is the reason for the matte displays being delayed in shipping.
Anyway dont worry, Apple will swap it for you.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
hahaha gutted to all those people who got matte :D my glossy doesn't have any lightbleed whatsoever, not even a tiny bit. I wonder if this is the reason for the matte displays being delayed in shipping.
Anyway dont worry, Apple will swap it for you.

You're also deluding yourself if you think you have no light bleed....

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Sheesh, it's like people have never owned an LCD / laptop before :p Light bleed is really nothing new. Happens to just about every LCD.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I, too, have the matte "anti glare" and while it's not as bad as that picture, I just dug out the 15" MacBook Pro that I have (prev. gen.) and the MacBook Air (Rev. A) and they all exibit some sort of light leakage when the screens are completely black. I don't know if you're going to find a truly black screen with any laptop display? Do you notice it when there's actual images on it, or do you always have it completely black?

P.S. I'd like to see the glossy display photographed all black.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You know, in the same amount of time, you could have talked with apple instead of posting here scaring all the potential buyers away

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You know, in the same amount of time, you could have talked with apple instead of posting here scaring all the potential buyers away

I'm pretty sure the intent was to warn those potential buyers of a potential problem before they buy.

freethinker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
I, too, have the matte "anti glare" and while it's not as bad as that picture, I just dug out the 15" MacBook Pro that I have (prev. gen.) and the MacBook Air (Rev. A) and they all exibit some sort of light leakage when the screens are completely black. I don't know if you're going to find a truly black screen with any laptop display? Do you notice it when there's actual images on it, or do you always have it completely black?

P.S. I'd like to see the glossy display photographed all black.

I actually noticed it when I start working with my photographs and then decide to check it out with 100% BLACK BACKGROUND.

Yes I can see it while working with some B&W photographs in alight room but I took this photos in the darkness to increase the clearness.

Thanks.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
As someone that will be buying a new 17 inch MBP soon, I don't know what to choose between the glossy and the matte. I would guess the glossy might be more richer and sharper but the matte won't have the issue with having to adjust the screen constantly due to glare. Does anyone have a picture of the glossy at full brightness with a black screen? This is proving to be a difficult decision for me. I wish I could see the matte in-person at the Apple Store but they will probably not have one on display.

freethinker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009

I've already arranged replacement from Online Apple Store and while waiting still using it and even now typing this replies on it.

Thanks.

freethinker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure the intent was to warn those potential buyers of a potential problem before they buy.

Yes I simply want TO WARN rather present owners than potential buyers.

We've got 14-days of purchase for our peace of mind.....

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
My 17" 9c99 glossy has NO LIGHTBLEED VISIBLE. I spent half an hour staring at it in the dark, black screen, full brightness, looked from all different angles, took pictures with different cameras.

None.

(that anyone could see)

That screen looks horrible, not that all the new mattes will look that way, but still...

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
My 17" 9c99 glossy has NO LIGHTBLEED VISIBLE. I spent half an hour staring at it in the dark, black screen, full brightness, looked from all different angles, took pictures with different cameras.

None.

(that anyone could see)

That screen looks horrible, not that all the new mattes will look that way, but still...

Same here. My 15" had a lot of light bleed, but the my 9C99 glossy 17" is fine. I'd definitely be taking that back to the Apple store if I were the thread starter.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
My new 17" (glossy) has no discernible light bleed. Superb screen. I've had previous MBPs and Powerbooks, all anti-glare, but this one is easily the best I've had.
Being so easy to clean and keep pristine, and with no glare problems at all so far, I wouldn't trade this glass version for the anti-glare, even if the latter was $200 cheaper. In fact, the anti-glare should be cheaper as it dispenses with the cost of the protective glass and puts a cheap strip of silver-colored plastic around the screen instead.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
"No glare problems so far"...

Are these totally different surfaces to the 15" MBP and the Macbooks, both of which have a ridiculous amount of glare / reflection?

I understand for many typical Mac users the reflection might be perfect for checking themselves out as they type, but in my case I fear for the glass cracking every time I catch a clear glimpse of myself in it - which is, IMO, too often in a variety of situations.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
Check out this Glossy vs. Anti-glare comparison. Which do you prefer?

http://www.engadget.com/photos/macbook-pro-17-inch-unibody-unboxing-and-hands-on/1385126/

Whats the point? Who looks at a blank screen? And who positions there screen to be three feet away from the overhead light? That photo should be taken with both screens on at full brightness. AND if you look at that photo, the glossy is positioned in a way that has more if the overhead light in the screen. The matte only has it in a small corner.

All of the photos I have seen that bash the glossy have been taken in a way that creates more of an issue then what the average user ever sees in real life. I'm sure I could borrow my friends matte and take a series of photos that makes the matte totally unreadable.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Whats the point? Who looks at a blank screen? And who positions there screen to be three feet away from the overhead light? That photo should be taken with both screens on at full brightness. AND if you look at that photo, the glossy is positioned in a way that has more if the overhead light in the screen. The matte only has it in a small corner.

All of the photos I have seen that bash the glossy have been taken in a way that creates more of an issue then what the average user ever sees in real life. I'm sure I could borrow my friends matte and take a series of photos that makes the matte totally unreadable.

Kronie: You're absolutely right. Good post!

ilikebeer

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Massachusetts

I've got both and don't see why this is such a big deal. You're absolutely right: given the right (wrong) lighting conditions, neither is very good. In fact, you could argue that the glossy in the photo at the bottom of the post I link it actually MORE usable than the matte! That was with a Solux 50W blub about five feet away, centered between the two.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7215537#post7215537

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.