Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FX120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Pretty simple idea, really.

1. Take crap out of pockets

2. Place pocket crap on table, bed, or other flat surface

3. Take picture of pocket crap

4. Post picture of pocket crap on Macrumors

pocket-1.JPG

*Some stuff was on my belt, but close enough

FX120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2007
do you really feel that unsafe.
ill post later when im wearing pants

I don't want to turn this into another gun debate, but yes, I do. I work in a very rotten part of town, with drug and prostitution issues, in addition to several muggings and shootings within the last year. I work late hours, and am often the only one at the shop when I leave as late as 2AM, and even though I am a "big guy" at 6'2" 220lbs, I am not going to try and defend myself against a potentially armed attacker with nothing but my fists and wits, and the police can't be counted on to be there when I need them there.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I don't want to turn this into another gun debate, but yes, I do. I work in a very rotten part of town, with drug and prostitution issues, in addition to several muggings and shootings within the last year. I work late hours, and am often the only one at the shop when I leave as late as 2AM, and even though I am a "big guy" at 6'2" 220lbs, I am not going to try and defend myself against a potentially armed attacker with nothing but my fists and wits, and the police can't be counted on to be there when I need them there.

I think there's nothing wrong with having a gun on you - but man, do you really need the two extra clips? Lots of extended gun battles planned?

Mark72501

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
I think there's nothing wrong with having a gun on you - but man, do you really need the two extra clips? Lots of extended gun battles planned?

I can't speak for him, but if he's in a rough part of town and potentially defending himself and/or shop from a robber(s) then, yeah, I could see why he might need a couple extra clips...if three guys came in armed then he could easily run out of ammo before they did...unless he's planned ahead.

That said, I expected the reply to be that he worked as a cop/security/personal protection/PI or something...lol

FX120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2007

It's not that much ammo, actually. USP Compact in .45 only has 8rd mags, 3 mags = 24 rds + 1 in the pipe.

Ammo is cheap, doesn't weigh much, and you'll never find anyone complaining about having too much ammo when they need it.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
My Dressing Gown has nothing in its pockets.

But usually

Left Side - Wallet - Usually No Cash In :(
Right Side - iPhone 3G

DrBurkstrom

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
I'll post properly when I get out of bed...

..and actually put on something with pockets.

In the meantime I'm curious, I know that gun control laws vary wildly in America and are a very contentious thing, but do you need extra licenses / checks etc to carry a handgun on your belt around town? Is it a different permit compared to, say, keeping one in a bedside drawer in case of intruders?

Also, to the original poster, is your gun plainly visible as you walk up the street or covered by a jacket or something?

Coming from a country where guns are largely illegal and an area where they're not prevalent in the hands of criminals I'm just very intrigued by a culture where an average person in the street could have a handgun on their belt! Intrigued and a little excited....

FX120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2007
..and actually put on something with pockets.

In the meantime I'm curious, I know that gun control laws vary wildly in America and are a very contentious thing, but do you need extra licenses / checks etc to carry a handgun on your belt around town? Is it a different permit compared to, say, keeping one in a bedside drawer in case of intruders?

Also, to the original poster, is your gun plainly visible as you walk up the street or covered by a jacket or something?

Coming from a country where guns are largely illegal and an area where they're not prevalent in the hands of criminals I'm just very intrigued by a culture where an average person in the street could have a handgun on their belt! Intrigued and a little excited....

In Oregon where I live, you need a concealed handgun licence to carry a handgun concealed on your person. Oregon is a shall-issue state, meaning that if you meet the requirements for a CHL, you cannot be denyed one. The requirements are: You're 21, you're a citizen of Oregon, you have never been convicted of a felony, you have no history of violent crime (misdemeanors included), no history of drug crime, not mentally defective, and a few others.

In most places in Oregon, open carry is legal for anyone, no permit required. However this is ill-advised as wearing a gun on your hip in plain sight while walking around town is probably going to upset a few people. In a few more major cities, open carry is prohibited by local law, as is the case in Portland (where I live). Ironically, holders of a CHL are exempt from that law, and are able to carry openly if they so choose. Either way, it's not advisable.

I carry concealed, and today I had a big enough jacket on all day to conceal the belt holster and mag pouch. On days where I need to be a little more active, I use a IWB (in waist band) holster covered by a tee shirt. The belt holster is more comfortable for wearing all day so that's what I use most of the time.

Basically when I have my handgun on me no one around me is the wiser, nor would I want them to be.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Pretty simple idea, really.

1. Take crap out of pockets

2. Place pocket crap on table, bed, or other flat surface

3. Take picture of pocket crap

4. Post picture of pocket crap on Macrumors

pocket-1.JPG

*Some stuff was on my belt, but close enough
I bet you wear camouflage cargo pants :p.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
In Oregon where I live, you need a concealed handgun licence to carry a handgun concealed on your person. Oregon is a shall-issue state, meaning that if you meet the requirements for a CHL, you cannot be denyed one. The requirements are: You're 21, you're a citizen of Oregon, you have never been convicted of a felony, you have no history of violent crime (misdemeanors included), no history of drug crime, not mentally defective, and a few others.

In most places in Oregon, open carry is legal for anyone, no permit required. However this is ill-advised as wearing a gun on your hip in plain sight while walking around town is probably going to upset a few people. In a few more major cities, open carry is prohibited by local law, as is the case in Portland (where I live). Ironically, holders of a CHL are exempt from that law, and are able to carry openly if they so choose. Either way, it's not advisable.

I carry concealed, and today I had a big enough jacket on all day to conceal the belt holster and mag pouch. On days where I need to be a little more active, I use a IWB (in waist band) holster covered by a tee shirt. The belt holster is more comfortable for wearing all day so that's what I use most of the time.

Basically when I have my handgun on me no one around me is the wiser, nor would I want them to be.

Then what happens if someone attacks you and you shoot them in the face, what happens to you?
I know you are licensed as you have commited no crime etc and fit all the criteria, would you then get convicted of manslaughter? (I'm not sure what you call it in the US), would you then go to jail and on release you would be unable to get a new license as you would be an ex-con, therefore leaving you open again to be attacked without ways to defend yourself?

I'm just interested, I could never even imagine the fear needed in order to carry a gun on me, but I guess that's because where I'm from guns are a highly illegal thing and a rare occurrence on the streets. I'm not for one minute suggesting by the way that everyone in Oregon is going out of their way to shoot people. I'm just intrigued as to what goes on.

As for what's in my pockets...
(I like to travel light).

Attachments

• Photo 19.jpg
    Photo 19.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 142

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
A knife and a gun. Wow. Are you the problem or the solution? I'm not so sure.

The Knife is most likely for opening Boxes etc. not stabbing people, but could be a last resort i guess.

And if the blade is under 4", and a flip lock, its legal in the Uk.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
If I lived in an area where I had to carry a gun to feel safe Id consider packing up and finding myself a new home.

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
I have my wallet, keys to the car/truck/house, BlackBerry, and Knife... To young to have a Conceal Weapons Permit, when I turn 21, first thing I am getting. But I have a shotgun and an M4, mainly for enjoyment at the range. But they would make good home defense weapons.

FX120

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Then what happens if someone attacks you and you shoot them in the face, what happens to you?
I know you are licensed as you have commited no crime etc and fit all the criteria, would you then get convicted of manslaughter? (I'm not sure what you call it in the US), would you then go to jail and on release you would be unable to get a new license as you would be an ex-con, therefore leaving you open again to be attacked without ways to defend yourself?

I'm just interested, I could never even imagine the fear needed in order to carry a gun on me, but I guess that's because where I'm from guns are a highly illegal thing and a rare occurrence on the streets. I'm not for one minute suggesting by the way that everyone in Oregon is going out of their way to shoot people. I'm just intrigued as to what goes on.

As for what's in my pockets...
(I like to travel light).
This is really turning into a discussion more suitable for another thread, but if in the circumstance that I was forced to take down someone, I would be arrested while there was an investigation into the legality of the shooting, if it is found to be a legitamate use of force for self defense, the DA and state would likely drop any potential charges against me, and I would not be prosecuted for any crime. However, I would still be facing potential civil lawsuits from the attackers family, and even if they are unjustified, I would be forced to put up money for a legal defense to fight the lawsuit, costing potentially thousands of dollars.

It's never a good thing to go down that path if there are other options available. However, being alive instead of dead is worth the cost of a legal defense.

The crime here isn't worse than it is in many other parts of the country, and even if it was more relaxed I would probably still carry a gun, because as long as I do, I know that I will never be put into a helpless situation. I just refuse to be a victim. Millions of other people in the US have concealed weapons permits, and pack daily, and I would go as far to say that 99% of them you would never notice or be the wiser to the fact that they do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry_in_the_United_States

I bet you wear camouflage cargo pants .
Nope, just khakis or jeans. Again, you wouldn't notice me on the street.

A knife and a gun. Wow. Are you the problem or the solution? I'm not so sure.
I've never shot anything but paper and steel, and never cut anyone but myself.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
Just a question:

I do not live in United States, but, here on my country, you can not hold a gun with you, unless it is located on your property, like a house, car.
Is it legal on USA? Hold on your pocket?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.