Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Is there a change log available somewhere? I'd like to know whether it fixes the issue were an AE base can sometimes become invisible to the admin utility until you reset it.

cying

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Cannot read configuration after update

Do not apply this update. Why doesn't apple debug before release?

Anyone know how to downgrade an Apple Extreme Base Station that you cannot access the configuration settings of??? (Besides replacing with Linksys?)

An error occurred while reading the configuration.

Make sure your Apple wireless device is plugged in and in range of your computer or connected via Ethernet and try again. (-5)

I can surf the net. So the router is working. Just cannot access the settings to change anything. Make sure you never have to access the settings of your router before applying this update!!!

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
Do not apply this update. Why doesn't apple debug before release?

I can surf the net. So the router is working. Just cannot access the settings to change anything. Make sure you never have to access the settings of your router before applying this update!!!

I had this problem too but reflashed back to a previous version.
You should be able to access the settings although there appears to be a bug at the moment in how you access them.
If you highlight your base station, you may be unable to click manual or auto configure. Instead of pressing one of these buttons, simply double click your base station and the settings should then come up.

brisweeney

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
my advice, DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE!!!!!

i did and my AEBS wouldnt respond at all afterwards,wouldnt even show up in the utility tool. had to hard reset 4 times and do a new network setting 4 times too.

reverted back to the earlier firmware and now when i open up my notebook it takes a good 20 seconds or so to pick up the network rather than the instant pick up of the network before the upgrade.

either this is a bug filled upgrade rushed out or its deliberatly doing this to base stations in order to make ppl upgrade to the new ones.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

i did and my AEBS wouldnt respond at all afterwards,wouldnt even show up in the utility tool. had to hard reset 4 times and do a new network setting 4 times too.

reverted back to the earlier firmware and now when i open up my notebook it takes a good 20 seconds or so to pick up the network rather than the instant pick up of the network before the upgrade.

either this is a bug filled upgrade rushed out or its deliberatly doing this to base stations in order to make ppl upgrade to the new ones.

and yet here I am having a way better network experience than before. :rolleyes:

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere

Sorry to hear that. I had no problem with the firmware update on my AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express.

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
My AE with new firmware is also not recognized in my airport utility. i am also having frequent disconnects. is it hard to convert back to the old firmware? If not, could someone please explain? thanks.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I've been playing with the new and old firmware of the Airport Express 802.11n and I found a few but rather annoying bugs last night:

1) Airport Utility doesn't find Airport Express 802.11n
With firmware 7.3.x this seems directly related to the base station name. I had my base station named "Airport Express 2", and after that I had to reconnect it to ethernet very often to access the damn thing. But after removing the spaces in the name (AirportExpress2) Airport Utility found it every time. With 7.4.x that seems to be fixed, except that restarting sometimes goes faster with a "spaceless" base station name.

2) Airport Express 802.11n can't connect to 5GHz network.
That is a bug in firmware 7.4.0 / 7.4.1 - it just won't connect to another Airport base station regardless what channel is selected manually or automatically. This is the case in "Join a wireless network" mode and "Extend wireless network" mode. Only workaround for this is downgrading to 7.3.2 (select base station in Airport Utility, and then select Upload Firmware in menu "Base station")

2a) firmware 7.3.x makes very slow connections in "Join a wireless network" mode. Workaround can be, if you have a Airport Express or Extreme 802.11n as a main base station, to change the configuration to "Extend wireless network".

3) Skips and gaps in AirTunes playback on Airport Express 802.11n
This seems to be a bug in the firmware (7.3.x and 7.4.1). Although it appears more often when using Airfoil. There are frequent gaps and skips on the AirTunes output. Even when the unit is placed very near the base station. When using both Computer speakers and Airport Express audio output with iTunes (or AirFoil) one can easily notice a large and rather quick changing phase shift between Computer output and Airport output. The older Airport Express 802.11g didn't do that, and almost never has gaps or skips in playback when placed within reasonable distance from the base station.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
okay. My Time Capsule 1TB (sim. dualband) arrived last night, so I tired to set it up this morning. However, I couldn't get it to access to the web. LAN was perfectly fine tho.

I never had a problem dealing with Apple wireless devices. I took screenshots of my old AirPort Extreme 802.11n base station setting and entered the exact same information on the Time Capsule. Fail.

Performed a restore and let AirPort Utility to use/copy my AirPort Extreme 802.11n base station setting to the Time Capsule, no goal.

It came with the stock 7.4 firmware tho.

I will drop by the Genius Bar and see what's going on, hopefully it is not user's error/my fault.

update: I tried adding the Time Capsule to my existing AirPort network, it worked for a while. Later, I applied 7.4.1 firmware and worked (on/off), but AirPort Utility kept reporting errors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.