Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:55 PM   #1
hellodon
macrumors 6502

iPhone all of a sudden won't call out...SMS and incoming fine

This is really weird.

I came home from work today and my girlfriend was telling me how all day her phone wasnt able to make outgoing calls. I had used mine during the day at work to send a text or 2 but hadnt made any phone calls.

She showed me and sure enough, anything she dialed said "Call Ended" and "Call Failed" almost immediately.

I tried my phone. It's doing the same thing.

I looked at my AT&T account to make sure there were no problems with my bill since we are on the same plan...everything fine there.

I texted a friend with an iPhone to see if this was an AT&T issue but he called me right back with no problems. I could receive the call and any texts he sent me, but I couldnt call him.

I couldnt even call AT&T at *611

Surely this had to be a problem with my account right? I figured the best test would be for me to take a ride and try the phone. I drove my girlfriend to work and tried the phone about 4 blocks from here and it worked flawlessly. She has called me a few times from work tonight with no problem.

I was able to call her on my ride home but once I got home, I couldnt anymore.

What the heck is going on here? It seems the the issue is just at home here. I have full signal, tried it on wifi and on 3g, full wifi signal...this just does not make sense!

I have seen others post having the issue where they can't dial out...and get Call Ended. Call Failed instantly but I have yet to see anyone talk about it happening in just one spot like that.

I have NEVER had a problem in my house. Always a great signal and as I mentioned, even now. So what could be going on? I feel like I can rule out a problem with the phone since I am able to make calls away from here but I just don't know. I havent tried backing up and restoring yet...but I just feel like that's not my answer. I made calls fine last night, today BOTH of us are having the same issue and apparently only here...I just got a call from her as I type this from work....so things are fine away from this area

Anyone know what's going on? If I need to clarify anything please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:57 AM   #2
hellodon
macrumors 6502

Figured this out. Works now.

I never updated to 2.2.1....didnt realize that. So I hooked it up and did that then and after it was done it had a quick "carrier update" from AT&T (first time i've seen that) and after it did both updates it worked.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:11 AM   #3
seajay1221
macrumors newbie

I'm having a problem on my iphone that has these EXACT same symptoms. The only problem is that I had already updated my phone with the carrier update. I've tried every troubleshoot - in and out of airplane mode, turning off 3g, hard resets, soft resets, restoring the firmware, etc. I even took it to an AT&T store and they swapped out the sim card to see if that would fix it - it didn't. It's the strangest thing ever but it doesn't seem like a hardware problem. I guess I'll take it into an apple store (never jailbroke so I'm not worried about that) but the closest one is an hour away. Can anybody think of something that I'm overlooking that might fix this?
seajay1221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:04 PM   #4
delamitrifan
macrumors newbie

My iPhone just started doing the same thing

I flew to Dallas from Mpls on Sunday, and suddenly my iPhone won't call out. I can receive calls, send and receive emails, etc., but NO CALLS OUT. The call fails immediately. I tried all the resets and even talked to an Apple service person after setting up appointment on line and having them CALL ME! Basically, after trying the resets again, they're saying it must be a bad SIM card, so I have to take the phone back to the Apple store. I just bought it a week ago. VERY FRUSTRATING!!
delamitrifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:34 PM   #5
4by20
macrumors newbie

Go to Settings > General > Date and Time. Switch off “Set Automatically” and manually select your hometown (the default is Cupertino). If you dont change it, you will not be able to make outgoing calls. But the wierd part is, you will still be able to receive incoming calls. Once done, manually set the date and time, and restart your iPhone. If you want, you can reset the 2 settings to “Set Automatically” again.
4by20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 06:12 AM   #6
narutoshippuden
macrumors newbie

yello

you just have to turn on and off cellular data on and off it worked for me every time it did happend
narutoshippuden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Ivan P
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
Quote:
Originally Posted by narutoshippuden View Post
you just have to turn on and off cellular data on and off it worked for me every time it did happend
You have just bumped a topic from three years ago, I'm sure the other posters have fixed their issues by now.
Ivan P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 03:37 PM   #8
narutoshippuden
macrumors newbie

i know i was just bored like hell. troll oll oll oll
narutoshippuden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Roseladyokc
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutoshippuden View Post
U helped me...
Thank u
Roseladyokc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting