Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
From the home screen of Cydia...

Seems developers with apps not allowed into the official app store will have their chance at making the big bucks.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
Yep. And the pirate jailbreakers aren't going to give their money to Cydia app store devs either which just cracks me up to no end in a sad but ironic way...

:rolleyes:

Maybe not. But you're missing the point. This isn't targeted at "pirate" jailbreakers. This is being set up to distribute apps that aren't approved by Apple but are otherwise useful to iPhone users.

I can guarantee 100% that pirated apps WILL NOT be sold in the Cydia Store.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Does this mean the revitalization of Installer... "Don't call it a comeback I've been doing it for years..." :D

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
Update:

Cydia Store is now open with it's first paid package featured on the home page of Cydia. Check it out!

Another update: Cydia just completely locked up my phone (while I was STILL looking for xGPS after adding the source), which has never happened before... Urghhh

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
I don't see any major changes in Cydia. Still reloads data waaaay too much. And takes forever to do things.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
pay through amazon with paypal coming soon.

Kinda a pain in the butt, first you sign in through google, then through amazon.
Once the payment is confirmed and hit the close button it returnsyou to the app and the install button appears, then the confirm.

There was more about saving information, setting $ dollar limits and so on.

Just received an email confirming payment through amazon to Saurik.

I am assuming that once you set up the user infrmation the check out will be far more stream line.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
pay through amazon with paypal coming soon.

Kinda a pain in the butt, first you sign in through google, then through amazon.
Once the payment is confirmed and hit the close button it returnsyou to the app and the install button appears, then the confirm.

There was more about saving information, setting $ dollar limits and so on.

Just received an email confirming payment through amazon to Saurik.

I am assuming that once you set up the user infrmation the check out will be far more stream line.

Sounds like a headache to me. I have neither a Google nor an Amazon account.

Guess I'll be waiting for Paypal.

dlamin517

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Sounds like a headache to me. I have neither a Google nor an Amazon account.

Guess I'll be waiting for Paypal.

Guaranteed its not going to be easier than say the actual app store. But i mean cmon. this is pretty easy for an unofficial app

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
So does this mean all paid apps are going to go through this way? Will free apps still be available??

=Shadow=

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
Oh, god this sucks so much! Now every new app released on Cydia is going to cost money, just like in the AppStore! Pretty much the entire reason I jailbroke my iPod is so that I could download awesome apps for free. But now everyone is going to charge inordinate amounts of money for their apps in a method that I would not be able to pay for! This royally sucks, IMHO.

dlamin517

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Oh, god this sucks so much! Now every new app released on Cydia is going to cost money, just like in the AppStore! Pretty much the entire reason I jailbroke my iPod is so that I could download awesome apps for free. But now everyone is going to charge inordinate amounts of money for their apps in a method that I would not be able to pay for! This royally sucks, IMHO.

not all developers will charge for their apps. DUH!

aveda6

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2008
I think it's a welcome alternative to the apple store. The payment scheme may be a bit quirky right now but I'm sure that will be worked out quickly. i, for one, don't mind spending money on apps that provide the functionality that i want from my phone. If the devs charge too much people won't pay and the devs will have to rethink their pricing. I know there are those that expect everything for free but what's the incentive for great apps if there is no ROI.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008

This ill informed post wins the Chicken Little award for the month. :rolleyes:

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Looks like Saurik sold out.

So much for the Jailbreaking scene being free and for the betterment of mankind ;)

It's always about the $$$ :)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
not all developers will charge for their apps. DUH!

Thanks for your input, Napoleon.

I think it's a welcome alternative to the apple store. The payment scheme may be a bit quirky right now but I'm sure that will be worked out quickly. i, for one, don't mind spending money on apps that provide the functionality that i want from my phone. If the devs charge too much people won't pay and the devs will have to rethink their pricing. I know there are those that expect everything for free but what's the incentive for great apps if there is no ROI.

I completely agree with this. IF the eventually release an MMS app I think it would be well worth a couple bucks. Now if Saurik decided to start charging for formally free apps I could see a reason to complain.

BNZ1

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
London
How do we go about getting support and a refund when some JB app completely lags our phone or hammers the battery life? I find that the Appstore has a sense of professionalism that is missing on the JB scene (and for good reason, its a dev scene).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.