Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Yes, i'm a tool. A small amount, probably a couple ounces at the very most, spilled on the keyboard of my brand new 13 inch unibody. I immediately picked it up and turned it upside down, turned it off, took the battery out. Wiped up what I could with a terry cloth. I used a blowdryer to dry up anything that might have gotten under the keys.

Turned it back on with fingers crossed and everything is perfectly fine, thankfully. Now, here is my dilemma. I was going to purchase Applecare for this but i'm not sure if I should now. I mean, what if something completely unrelated to the coffee spill happens and i need it to be repaired under warranty? Can't they just void the warranty if the moisture sensors have been triggered, regardless of the actual cause?

I just don't want to waste the money for Applecare if they're just going to void it anyway. Your thoughts?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Correct. If the moisture sensors have tripped, all warranties are void.

BTW, you should leave it off for a few more days to be sure it is dry.

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
This sucks! What if I took into into a store and explained the situation. You think they would at least check the sensors for me? We're talking a minimal amount of liquid here. Another question: Can I pop off a key to look to see if the coffee actually made its way under it. Anyone know how to do it?

Matt-Man-Plus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Just to update this situation. I brought my MB to the Apple store where I bought it and explained what happened. The girl that I spoke to asked me if they could take a look it. I was pleasantly suprised by this because I thought I would have to ask THEM to do it and even pay for it, for which I was fully ready to do. I didn't expect anything to be free, as this was negligence on my part.

About a half hour went by and she came back with my MB and said that they went through the machine and did not find any signs of water damage. She listed a bunch of parts that were removed and inspected and everything was fine. Then she tells me they couldn't look under the keyboard without me leaving it there for over a week. This didn't sit well with me. I mean, if there was going to be any liquid damage, wouldn't it be there? She assured me that the major components were fine and that getting under the keyboard was a fairly complicated task that wasn't necessary.

I told her my concerns about buying applecare when I wasn't sure if the liquid sensors under the keyboard were triggered. She then went on and explained that even if the liquid sensor is triggered, it DOES NOT automatically void the warranty. The triggered sensor has to be at least relevant to the cause of the failure. For instance, if the hard drive fails but the triggered sensor is nowhere near it or has nothing to do with it, it's still covered. I verified this with the manager. I asked to speak with the tech who looked at my MB. He came over and was pretty much like, "there's nothing wrong with your machine".

At that point I could either leave it there and have them tear it apart (at my expense) or I could just trust them and buy the applecare. I decided to roll the dice and buy it. It's a $250 decision that I have to live with but I feel pretty good about it. If It ends up biting me in the ass in the end, then oh well. I shouldn't have spilled coffee on this thing in the first place.

cjro9

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
You've gotten what everyone in this world dreams of, a second chance. Don't take it for granted!

Happy you're MB is fine! and goodstuff to the nice caring people at Apple. =)

Automatically

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
You definitely wont regret the applecare. Its a wise investment. I always get it and Im worry free for 3 years. PS: I was watering my plants and oops... water on the keyboard (macbook) and was all worried because it was my own fault and that apple wouldnt cover it. They did and where very helpful in the process. Dont feel to bad. It happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.