Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
I'm buying a new mac this christmas,and I was wondering are there any solutions for ripping dvd's to hdd and then converting them using qt6 final (when it comes out) to mp4/aac? what apps and how many steps are necessary to do that? is 933 mhz g4 enough fast for that? how much hours would it convert movies?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I don't know if it's possible on the mac, but as to how long it takes? All I know is it takes bloody hours to do a simular thing on a PC :(

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
It's perfectly possible to do on a mac, with both OS 9 and OS X. On a 500MHz G4 the whole process takes..... about 45mins to rip, quite a few hours to re-encode into something qt can recognise, and then however long to reencode to MPEG-4/AAC. You'll be looking at at least 10 hours for the whole thing i suspect.

I think it's about 4 steps, from start to finish.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
It's not bad if I can get it done in 5 hours on 1ghz g4 (maybe if altivec helps with mp4/aac)

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
i know for pcs u can u divx for taht kind of stuff. im a little new to the whole dvd burning on a mac scene, but take the other guy's advice, especially britboy. hes a VERY experienced mac guy who knows what hes talking about.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by verbose101
I don't know if it's possible on the mac, but as to how long it takes? All I know is it takes bloody hours to do a simular thing on a PC :(

I bet that it would take less time on ur tricked out dp 1 gig, verbose. :p
Ur right, it does take HOURS. PCs are damn slow when it come to video stuff. Windows doenst even have a good movie program.

18 posts to go till 100!!

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Re: Ripping DVD's

Originally posted by Megaquad
I'm buying a new mac this christmas,and I was wondering are there any solutions for ripping dvd's to hdd and then converting them using qt6 final (when it comes out) to mp4/aac? what apps and how many steps are necessary to do that? is 933 mhz g4 enough fast for that? how much hours would it convert movies?

A 933 is fine for movies. thats what ive got. i dunno about qt6. I havent downloaded the preview but it probably has some sort of conversion tool on it. But i suggest, if ur gunna burn a dvd, get dvd studio pro. i heard it's better to make a dvd than iDVD and has more options (well for $1000 it better damn well have more options). So u can add some snazzy things to ur illegally ripped dvds taht ull be selling on the street corners in china town for 2 bucks.

17 posts till 100!!

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2001
ok,thanks everybody for solutions on ripping,i think 1 ghz imac will do just fine

i have about 3125$ for new mac..and thats what fastest iMac G4 costs in croatia with taxes etc.,i think its little too much? what are the prices in USA or europe? can i get better mac there for that money?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
what are the prices in USA or europe? can i get better mac there for that money?
Top of the line iMac in the UK goes for around £1,600-£1,700 (£1,649 from apple.com/ukstore)

That gets u:

800MHz PowerPC G4
15-inch flat panel TFT display
256K L2 cache (at 800MHz)
256MB SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
DVD-R/CD-RW drive
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K internal modem
Apple Pro Speakers

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
i have about 3125$ for new mac..and thats what fastest iMac G4 costs in croatia with taxes etc.,i think its little too much? what are the prices in USA or europe? can i get better mac there for that money?

In the US, we can get the Dual GHz tower for $3000... :D Most online/mail order placed do not charge tax, but get you on shipping. I can drive about an hour, into New Hampshire (no sales tax), go into the Apple store there and purchase the tower for $3000. All I need to do then is drive another hour to get home. It costs under $10 for the fuel to do this, which is a lot less then the sales tax ($150) I would pay if I purchased it in state, or the shipping if I purchased online.

Wiltord_Green

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2002
Manchester
Ripping DVDS

You may wanna check out the following site
http://www.versiontacker.com

then download MacDvd2DIVX, it has instructions on how to rip a dvd to divx format.

Also you need to download
Osex maybe 0sex. This is exraction software to get the vob file out. You can find this using google

Check out wormintheapple.com as well for a tutorial.

Hope this helps

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I ripped the audio off a music DVD I bought the other day. Dammit... it's my DVD, I paid for it, I should be able to burn it onto a CD if I want.

Anyway... It took me about 6 hours on a 933 to rip 2:30 of audio to mp3. I used Osex. I'm sure times will get better... it's at version 0.01000b!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Ripping DVDS

Originally posted by Wiltord_Green
You may wanna check out the following site
http://www.versiontacker.com

then download MacDvd2DIVX, it has instructions on how to rip a dvd to divx format.

Also you need to download
Osex maybe 0sex. This is exraction software to get the vob file out. You can find this using google

Check out wormintheapple.com as well for a tutorial.

Hope this helps
Thanks mate, I'll have to give it a go. :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
rippin

Once you guys start to rip stuff off of dvd's and such, does that make you 'Ripping friends'??? :D

I just had to ask, couldn't help it. :D

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Etractor?

Has anyone noticed this little OS 9 Program called DVDExtractor? It demuxes DVD Streams from the Disc, then you get .ac3 and .pcm and .m2v and .vob Files out of it ... works on many DVDs, but sometimes you get a drive/media related error and it does not work.
You can even rip a complete DVD-Imagefile, but I did not manage to burn the image yet.

BiggeeC

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
there are no stupid questions.....

...just stupid people, right? Yeah, so, please don't make fun of me. When you guys are talking about DVD's, you're not talking about "movie" DVD's are you? Well then, what the hell are you talking about? Is a DVD just a disc with more space on it than a CD? Thanks

Chris

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.