Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
tpg12
macrumors newbie

iBook g4 14" needs replacement hard drive

hello... after 4 years my ibook g4 14" has a problem. my hard drive needs to be replaced. i took it to the genius bar yesterday and they gave me a referal to a store in my area that is certified to work on macs... but they don't sell hard drives in-house since they just started up a few weeks ago.

does anyone have a suggestion for a decent replacement internal hard drive? i'm not looking for anything high-end. i just need a cheap, reliable drive to get me through about another year when i can get a new mac.

if this matters much... i do use my ibook for a small amount of video editing, graphic design, etc... but only when work has to come home w/ me.

*the guys at the repair place did suggest a few... but they were all in the $250-$350 range... i was hoping to keep it around $150 or lower since i've been doing fine w/ my 40gb for 4 years now and i have 2 externals that total 1.75 tb. they said i could find some for that price elsewhere... but they only ordered from one place when they needed to... and none were available (in my $ range) there*

Last edited by tpg12; Mar 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add more information
tpg12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Reflow
I would suggest eBay. You can get cheap IDE drives for your machine. Also iFixit can give you great instructions on how to replace it yourself if you feel comfortable doing it.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:00 AM   #3
tpg12
macrumors newbie

thanks for the help... i'll definately try ebay. do you have any spec suggestions? i just want to make sure i get one that will fit/perform correctly w/ my computer.

on a side note... i saw the ifixit video last night... but i don't think i'm going to try it. the repair place is only charging me $50 for the job... and that's worth me not destroying my ibook... i'm pretty good when it comes to software issues... hardware work kinda scares the crap out of me
tpg12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs