Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
Hi all -

I've tried searching through old threads, and have worked through most of Apple's help sheet (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570) but I'm still having trouble.

Basically, I've just installed some software updates on my 1.33ghz iBook G4 via 'Software Update'. It recommended that I install two updates, "Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 8" and "QuickTime 7.6". I used my laptop while these were downloading, and when the download was complete I quit all apps and hit 'restart'.

Upon restarting, my iBook began start-up, but got to the grey screen with the Apple logo and spinning dial, and didn't go any further... Now, I've tried a safe boot, resetting the PRAM, and booting from the install disc to do a disk repair, but still no luck.

I then tried a safe boot, holding shift+apple+v to show what is running while OSX boots. After running through things as normal, it says "(iBook name)/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started", and brings this up again twice every 30 seconds.

I've no idea what to do next - these problems have only happened since installing the updates, so is there a way to safe boot and uninstall the update? Or is there a reason that the login window doesn't pop up? Apple's help page suggests to next try archiving and reinstalling OSX, but I'd like to find another option before getting to the reinstalling stage...

Any ideas?

Info:
I'm running the latest version of OSX 10.4 on an 1.33 Ghz iBook G4, with 512mb of Apple RAM added to RAM bay 2 (Total 768mb).
Logic board was replaced by Apple three years ago.

kal0

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
Exactly the same problem... did you figure out the solution?

Hi Lunja, I got exactly the same problem so I'm just wondering if you figure out your issue or you just reinstalled everything?? :(

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
In both of your cases, I think an archive & install is the way to go. There's an option in the installer that lets you preserve your users and network settings, which is handy and means that all you have to do when the installer finishes is re-download your software updates. No backups or reinstalling applications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.