Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1
smueboy
macrumors 6502a

Mac Mini output to Composite or S-video??

I've been planning to purchase a Mac Mini to use it as a HTPC, and i'm all set to spend the cash, but i currently have an old tv with only composite video or S-video inputs. At the moment i have a DVI to S-video adapter working from my MBP which works well. However, i see that the mini-DVI and Mini display port outputs on the new Mac Mini only output digital signals...

So, how can i plug my mac mini into my S-video or composite video inputs?? The adapters sold by Apple (mini-DVI to S-video/composite) don't work and i don't know of any other solution!!

Any solutions or suggestions would be great.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2
ftaok
macrumors 601

I'm not doubting you, but do you know for a fact that the Apple mini-DVI to Video Adapter won't work? I'm not sure why it wouldn't.

If that doesn't work, Apple sells a DVI-Video adapter that could plug into the included miniDVI-DVI adapter.

Otherwise, you're probably looking at some sort of DVI-analog video converter which sounds $$$ to me.

ft

EDIT - scratch that second suggestion. I'm thinking that the miniDVI-DVI adapter provides a DVI-D connection, not a DVI-A or DVI-I connection which is what would be required.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Nvidia

This is the same situation with the White Macbook with NVIDIA Chip. You can go mini-DVI to VGA. Maybe you can find a VGA to S-Video Adapter? I think VGA to Component exists, not sure about VGA to S-Video though?
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 03:01 PM   #4
smueboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post
I'm not doubting you, but do you know for a fact that the Apple mini-DVI to Video Adapter won't work? I'm not sure why it wouldn't.

If that doesn't work, Apple sells a DVI-Video adapter that could plug into the included miniDVI-DVI adapter.

Otherwise, you're probably looking at some sort of DVI-analog video converter which sounds $$$ to me.

ft

EDIT - scratch that second suggestion. I'm thinking that the miniDVI-DVI adapter provides a DVI-D connection, not a DVI-A or DVI-I connection which is what would be required.

As i understand it, the output from the mini-DVI ports on the new Macbooks and Mac mini only output DVD-D. Thus the mini-DVI to video adapter will not work at all since the only signal being sent out is digital. I also assume (though i do not know) that the signal from the mini display port is also only digital, and thus won't be easy to convert to analogue S-video or component?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
This is the same situation with the White Macbook with NVIDIA Chip. You can go mini-DVI to VGA. Maybe you can find a VGA to S-Video Adapter? I think VGA to Component exists, not sure about VGA to S-Video though?
Thats not bad idea. I looked at VGA to S-video adapters, but they don't work unless the signal coming out is analogue. Maybe this would work: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

But i have no idea what is best. It is frustrating that Apple no longer seems to be supporting the ability to hook up their hardware to 'normal' tv's. I wish i had an HDTV, but one thing at a time is all i can afford.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Durandal549
macrumors member

Unfortunately there is not a good solution. Composite and S-video are going to be 640x480 resolution. The above post has a link to a scan converter that will work. It probably won't look the best. Scan converters tend to look "blurry."
Durandal549 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:46 PM   #6
tbuskey
macrumors newbie

Just got a 2009 Mini

I got a Mini display port to VGA adapter and a Mini DVI to svideo/composite.

The VGA worked fine. The Mini DVI to svideo did not work with my TV.

I will be returning the adapter to the store (with some feedback) and have ordered a VGA to svideo converter from monoprice. I'll put feedback here when it comes in.

Many of us do not have the newer TVs and want to get a few more years out. I have Series 2 TiVo with component output. I record at the highest compression & get artifacts. I might even be using the RF input to one of my TVs.

Frankly, I don't care about getting the high quality on my TV. When I get a new TV, it will be 720p which will be more then enough quality.

I think Apple is a bit ahead of the curve here, just like when they eliminated floppies and did USB in the past. I wish they had kept the analog in the mini DVI and I wonder why they dropped it. I can't imagine they saved much on costs.
tbuskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 09:45 AM   #7
iceberg303
macrumors newbie

It is my understanding that the 9400M chipset supports DVI-D only. I have not tested this, but if this IS the case VGA _MAY_ not work without an active converter. There are 3 DVI standards:

DVI-D = Digital signals only
DVI-A = Analog signals over a DVI port (basically normal VGA over DVI)
DVI-I = Combination of DVI-D and DVI-A

With the D-15 connector there are some things that will absolutely not work with DVI-D. One of those being RGB which is what most of your TV and Projectors use that have a D-15 connector. Computer monitors however use other signals not the RGB from the D-15 and should work just fine with either a mini-dvi to VGA cable or a passive DVI to VGA adapter like most video cards come with.

I do not currently know if this is a limitation of the chipset or the way it's wired into the Mini. It's worth looking into what output is available over the display port adapter. If I get a chance I will pull the mini over to the O-scope and see what I get on the pins on it.

Incidentally I did some testing with a Dynex mini dvi to s-video cable and there is _A_ signal but it looks like a digital signal. I'm returning the adapter but I need to look up the pinout variation on DVI-D and DVI-A as I don't think there should be anything there so maybe Apple or Nvidia has something hidden there.
iceberg303 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 11:41 PM   #8
kayakjamie
macrumors newbie

Angry Analog video does not work with Mac Mini 2 Ghz MB464LL/S

Apple sold me the mini-DVI to S-video/RCA adapter, replaced it then finally I got in touch with someone at Apple who told me it would not work. No analog video out on mac mini. No cable adapter possible.
kayakjamie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 06:55 AM   #9
lostime
macrumors regular

I really did some searching and all I could find were scan converters, usually at $190. For that you should just get a new TV with HDMI and get this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
lostime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 11:35 AM   #10
ADent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostime View Post
I really did some searching and all I could find were scan converters, usually at $190. For that you should just get a new TV with HDMI and get this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Why not get a miniDVI to VGA adapter ($10ish) and a VGA to S-Video adatper ($27)?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

A lot cheaper than $190.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:32 PM   #11
lostime
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
Why not get a miniDVI to VGA adapter ($10ish) and a VGA to S-Video adatper ($27)?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

A lot cheaper than $190.
**edit**

that would work, one of the reviewers of the product has a 2009 Mac Mini.

Last edited by lostime; May 28, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
lostime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:26 PM   #12
budtron
macrumors newbie

So Bottom line!

So bottom line is, with the recent purchase of my mini-DVI-to-Video Adapter will not work connecting my Macbook to my analog tv using composite (RCA) cables....? Does that sound right? If so, I need to return the Adapter and get my money back. If this is correct that is a bunch Bull *****! just another reason why PC is the way to go! EFF YOU APPLE.
budtron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:56 PM   #13
ADent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by budtron View Post
So bottom line is, with the recent purchase of my mini-DVI-to-Video Adapter will not work connecting my Macbook to my analog tv using composite (RCA) cables....? Does that sound right? If so, I need to return the Adapter and get my money back. If this is correct that is a bunch Bull *****! just another reason why PC is the way to go! EFF YOU APPLE.

Which MacBook? The old ones no, the new ones yes.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini