Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1
fireshot91
macrumors 601

How to change quality of songs in iTunes?

I'm not looking to convert everything to Apple Lossless, or anything like that, just change some 128kbps to like 700ish, since they're all MP3s.
I'm wondering how I would go along with doing this?
fireshot91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:22 PM   #2
bartelby
macrumors Core

Why?

It won't sound any better...
bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Sky Blue

re-encode from the original CD.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:26 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
Why?

It won't sound any better...
I'm going to agree. Converting is nothing more than enlarging the file size and bitrate with no additional information ... right? I mean, won't it sound worse? Maybe this is why your iTunes is pink.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
fireshot91
macrumors 601

xD. That isn't why my iTunes is pink!

But thanks, I'll go ahead and rip my 6.x GB of music AGAIN! :/
fireshot91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 05:57 PM   #6
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Converting is nothing more than enlarging the file size and bitrate with no additional information ... right? I mean, won't it sound worse?
Yes, all true. The losses the OP is trying to get back happened during the original rip -- it's what you give up to get smaller file size, and there's no getting that back except to start with the full-quality source (the original CD) and re-rip to a higher bitrate with less loss. Ironically, if you re-convert a highly-compressed file (e.g. low bitrate MP3) to a less compressed format (other than lossless), you still lose more during the second compression.

Think about it this way (it's not totally analogous, but close enough for this example): if you photocopy a picture with a crappy photocopier, you can't restore the image by running the bad copy through a better photocopier. You just get a third image with some additional loss.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:05 PM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman42 View Post
Yes, all true. The losses the OP is trying to get back happened during the original rip -- it's what you give up to get smaller file size, and there's no getting that back except to start with the full-quality source (the original CD) and re-rip to a higher bitrate with less loss. Ironically, if you re-convert a highly-compressed file (e.g. low bitrate MP3) to a less compressed format (other than lossless), you still lose more during the second compression.

Think about it this way (it's not totally analogous, but close enough for this example): if you photocopy a picture with a crappy photocopier, you can't restore the image by running the bad copy through a better photocopier. You just get a third image with some additional loss.
That is where I was heading. Photographically speaking, you can take a picture with a resolution of 800x600, but if you want it to triple in size you'll have what is interpolation. The size is there, the quality is not. The image will attempt to enlarge by taking information from surrounding pixels, which is never truly accurate. From afar this is ok, from up close, not so much. I presume music would be similar. If the information is not there it simply, is not there.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:37 PM   #8
nickbr00tality
macrumors newbie

mp3 only goes up to 320, no 700ish. You'll need to re-rip from the original cd and change the importing preferences in iTunes.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:01 PM   #9
sbking
macrumors member

You cant improve a songs quality by increasing bitrate. Just the size. For lossless quality you need to encode from a lossless source (aka retail cd)

"trash in = trash out"

Unless you mean you want to re-rip your cds, in that case change the settings in preferences.
sbking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:58 PM   #10
Teej guy
macrumors 6502a

700ish is where Lossless lives anyway...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store