Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
mugglemage
macrumors newbie

Error installing Mac OSX on ibook g3

Hi all,

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with Macs, so I recently purchased a real cheap ibook G3 (the clamshell one), which came with no software on it but still has sound(?)

Anyway... when I turn the laptop on, there is a startup sound, and then a little picture of a folder with a question mark on it. I leapt into action and bought a copy of OSX 10.0.3, which I assume is old enough to work (this machine is an ibook M2453 366mhz 320mb ram 9gb notebook), and I am not sure if that will even run anything like osx but I wanted to try...

So I boot the laptop up, I get a little icon of an old mac and a little cd spinning in the upper left hand corner, it sounds like it is loading things from the cd, and......nothing. I let it do that for almost an hour and nothing happened. WHat am I doing wrong?
mugglemage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Norouzi
macrumors 6502

First thing I'd try is to restart and hold down the Option key. Holding down Option should list the available startup disks, your OS X CD should be shown there. That should at least tell you that the CD drive sees the OS X install disk as a Startup Disk option.
If it does see it, you can select it then click the arrow on the right, that should start it booting up to the installer.
I also hope you mean you got 10.3.0, as any version of OS X prior to 10.2 is pretty useless, I don't know if any software that will run on it.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:57 PM   #3
mugglemage
macrumors newbie

Nope, I have 10.0.3

Will 10.3 run on a laptop this old? I was worried about system requirements. Also, I did that and it seemed like it was trying to access the cd more than before, letting it run will update in a few minutes, nothing yet though! Just the little mac icon and the spinning cd in the upper left hand corner...

Last edited by mugglemage; Mar 10, 2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added more information
mugglemage is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs