Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antkdj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
So I've had this computer for a while and about a year or two ago, it started giving me problems. I would hear a loud short come from the screen and then I would see a quick line appear. It started getting worse as the month went on til the whole thing shorted out on me. Now all it does is turn on and shut right off with a loud and pretty frightful shorting sound and won't try to kick back on til an hour or two later (manually anyways). :mad: I did some research online and found out that my flyback transformer on my analog board shorted out due to heat constrictions inside the machine. And when that part shortes out, it take sthe video board along with it, since those two board are conjoined together, and in turn takes the whole system out. The wierd part is when I unplug the video cord and turn it on, their are no problems, only that My screen is still off, so it's like flying a plane with no instruments. I heard there is a way to replace the inside parts of the iMac and place a LCD screen in there but I'm not sure how that works out and if it will work anyways. Plus I just read that removing the CRT can be very dangerous. Grrr. I Need some advice. :confused: I'm a college student and don't have much $$$. If I did, I would have gotten a new MacBook. I wanna bring this mac back to life cause i miss it. Is there anyway I can do that? What would I need to do? Any advice is good. :D

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
At this point, i'd say don't even bother. Its not worth the trouble. If you really have your heart set on an iMac G3, I see them all the time on Craigslist for $50 and under, sometimes free. Pick up another one, transfer your hard drive over, and you're done with it. Its not worth the trouble (and danger!) in parts and repair.

IMO, the best "cheap" value in a mac would be a used eMac. I sometimes see them on craigslist for $100 for a 1ghz model which would blow the iMac g3 away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.