Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:59 PM   #1
kastenbrust
Banned

View Mac Partition from Windows 7

Ok so i installed Windows 7 using Bootcamp a few months ago, no problems everything works fine except Mediafour Macdrive.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with Windows 7, even though theres no reason why if it works with Vista it shouldn't, but i was wondering if theres any manual way to access the HFS+ partition from inside Windows? It doesn't matter how complicated it is.

I guess with the rise of Windows 7, and its increasing popularity this is going to be an issue for lots of Mac users.

Thanks
kastenbrust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

I don't have experience with that software, but I don't think there's any way to view the OS X partition from Windows in Boot Camp. Not a formatting issue it's just the way that Boot Camp works.
Jethryn Freyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
bay2sacto
macrumors member

Without MacDrive, MacOpener or similar third party software, there is no way to mount a HFS/HFS+ partition or disk in any version of Windows. Or for that matter any volume not formatted as NTFS/FAT32/FAT.

Maybe there's a Windows version of FUSE out there? I don't know.
bay2sacto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:18 PM   #4
kastenbrust
Banned

Ahhh thanks guys for the help but i found a way to do it without paying the ridiculous price for Mediafour MacDrvie

Its a completely free alternative
http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html
kastenbrust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:11 PM   #5
platinumsteel
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to platinumsteel Send a message via Yahoo to platinumsteel
thanks a million kastenbrust that free alternative works like a charm..it saved my music and files i need to backup after my mac won't boot up..i am so happy now..thanks a lot bro..
platinumsteel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:13 PM   #6
balamw

FWIW the Boot Camp drivers from version 3.x and later give your read only (view) access to the Mac partition. Just install them.

B
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:39 PM   #7
platinumsteel
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to platinumsteel Send a message via Yahoo to platinumsteel
ok well with that program i was able to view and extract all my needed files sucessfully..thanks again..I think the name of the app is HFSExplorer just in case anyone run into the same problem like me and wanna give it a try....
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:17 PM   #8
timidhermit
macrumors regular

Boot Camp 3.x and 4.x allow native viewing of HFS+ partitions on the Mac. Why is this needed? What is the advantage of using this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastenbrust View Post
Ahhh thanks guys for the help but i found a way to do it without paying the ridiculous price for Mediafour MacDrvie

Its a completely free alternative
http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html
timidhermit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:34 PM   #9
platinumsteel
macrumors newbie

well if u are talking about why HFSExplorer is needed...i see that is allows viewing and also being able to extract any file or folder it sees onto another drive for backup purposes..Right this moment am using it to extract 39 gigs onto my external HD and it's almost done..I have not checked out bootcamp but if it only allows native viewing but u cant extract the files it sees well then i think HFSExplorer is the read deal...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac