Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As foreshadowed by Apple earlier today, iTunes 8.1 has been released and is now available from the iTunes download page.

The supporting documentation included with the download details the changes present in the update:
iTunes 8.1 is now faster and more responsive. You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing.

In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides many other improvements and bug fixes, including:

- Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd*generation)
- Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ
- Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows
- Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs
- Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods
- Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus
- Includes many accessibility*improvements
- Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls
Earlier today, Apple also released an update for their Remote application for the iPhone and iPod touch, adding compatibility with iTunes 8.1 and including assorted bug fixes.

Article Link: iTunes 8.1 Now Available for Download

dmb8021

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
mentioned this in the other thread, but there is also a Front Row Update:

This Front Row update provides improved iTunes 8.1 compatibility.

13.3 MB

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
mentioned this in the other thread, but there is also a Front Row Update:

This Front Row update provides improved iTunes 8.1 compatibility.

13.3 MB

No noticeable differences to Front Row here. I wish "Applications" would stop showing up under Playlists though.

I can't believe they didn't mention the iTunes DJ control from the Remote App in the documentation (not just the voting and requesting, the actual manipulation of the playlist)! Best part of the update by far

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Front Row also updated via software update menu option
iTunes is a lot faster

Jmclark

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
Windham, ME
Yeah, I'm kinda curious about the whole DJ thing. I would check it out, but all I have for internet now is my Wii, so could anyone explain the DJ thing?

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
Yeah, I'm kinda curious about the whole DJ thing. I would check it out, but all I have for internet now is my Wii, so could anyone explain the DJ thing?

It's basically a rebranded Party Shuffle, with more Remote app functionality. You can now add to, remove from, and rearrange the queue from the Remote app. Plus, you can let people using other iPods request songs to play next, and if you allow it, to vote on which songs to play sooner.

dmb8021

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
so I downloaded 8.1 (as shown in the about iTunes) but when looking in the finder, it still says I have version 8.0.2. This happening to anyone else?

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007

It is a way for people to request a song using the remote app on the iPhone for the DJay (party shuffle) playlist.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
so I downloaded 8.1 (as shown in the about iTunes) but when looking in the finder, it still says I have version 8.0.2. This happening to anyone else?

Not here

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 430
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.