Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
This isn’t exactly an iPhone question, but is very closely related.
I recently got an unlocked Samsung Eternity.
The only reason I did this was because of the credit check from ATT. If it wasn’t for that, I would’ve just signed up for a two year contract. However, apparently ATT doesn’t let me sign up for one of their plans without providing a ridiculous 500 dollar deposit.
Therfore, I’ve decided to go with the GoPhone Prepaid option. However, it seems that ATT has recently stopped the Unlimited Prepaid Data Plan. This means that I won’t be able to get a data option for the Eternity- except for the 19.99 for 5 Megabytes, which is way to small for my taste.
However, I have heard from some people, that by calling 611 on their prepaid phone, they are still capable of getting the Unlimited MediaNet plan.
Can anybody please confirm this?
Thanks!

Tersais

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
ATT prepaid Data plan.

Hey, Good question, and sry for the wait. I am currently on a unlocked iphone on that plan (the pay as you go one). I was looking around for the answer to this and found half and answer. 1: it works on some phones and/or some plans. Ex: the plan was made before the iphone came out (because ATT didn't know about the iphone hackers/unlockers. They disabled this on certain accounts although it is unknown why it still works on other accounts. They disabled it so unlocked iphone users can't take advantage of the plan.) I will check and reply tomorrow on my other findings.

Quick tip for readers: Don't use Rock that iphone if you already unlocked or jailbroken your iphone/ipodtouch 1st gen. It re-does the entire thing that (QuickPWN or PWNtool, etc.) does. AKA it re-jailbreaks your phone without Installer, Cydia, etc. Plus intelescreen is on Cydia already! :apple:

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
I have a 3g ATT Plan and also a 1st gen unlocked ATT on pay as you go with the unlimited 19.99 option plan. I opted to choose for text but with that 19.99 you can choose unlimited data. I have no problem using those 2 on my unlocked 1st gen phone. I am located in NYC btw

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Thanks a bunch Tersais. I guess the main thing now is if you can actually buy the pack right now by calling 611. If you can still do it now, that would be excellent. :D
And Tersais, I didn't wait much, it's fine.
Thanks again guys!

sohrab708

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Hi

Hey,

I just got an AT&T plan (39.99 a month) but have not activated data on it. I have an unlocked 2G iPhone. I looking around the AT&T site for data plans and found on "Data Unlimited" plan for $15 a month. Would that work on my phone?

I'm in Sunnyvale by the way.

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Hey,

I just got an AT&T plan (39.99 a month) but have not activated data on it. I have an unlocked 2G iPhone. I looking around the AT&T site for data plans and found on "Data Unlimited" plan for $15 a month. Would that work on my phone?

How'd you get just voice on the plan?
I don't believe that's possible with ATT unless if the don't know you have an iPhone. Also, are you on 3.0?
BTW, I'm pretty close to you: Palo Alto. :D

504A!

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
New Orleans, LA
i too have the go phone unlimited on a 2.2 3g using yellowsnow, and i would like to know if anyone tried unlocking with ultrasnow and still able to use the medianet data(dont want to be the guinea pig:D)

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
Hey,

It wouldn't work. You need to call AT&T and tell them that you want to add an iPhone EDGE data plan on it. It's $20 and you get visual voicemail + 200 texts + internet.

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
would that work for gophone customers or just contracts

Unfortunately, only contracts.
I think somebody said something about 3.0 not working with GoPhone/PAYG Contracts.

In the end, I settled for T-Mobile. Much cheaper for me, and works nicely.

504A!

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Unfortunately, only contracts.
I think somebody said something about 3.0 not working with GoPhone/PAYG Contracts.

In the end, I settled for T-Mobile. Much cheaper for me, and works nicely.

yeah...but i liked connecting with the 3g speed and not slow a#* edge, but if updating to 3.0 stops data i might have to switch or suck it up and get the contract:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.