Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

News that Apple will be hosting a media even next week about iPhone 3.0 has generated a lot of speculation about what might be coming in the new release.

BoyGeniusReport claims to have heard two possible features that would certainly make many iPhone users happy. They believe that iPhone 3.0 will introduce MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) and Tethering.

MMS would finally offer iPhone users the ability to send photos by way of SMS, and tethering would allow you to share your iPhone's internet connection with your laptop computer. An alleged Steve Jobs email even confirmed that Apple had been working on a thethering solution, so it certainly seems feasible. BoyGeniusReport's record, however, has been spotty, so we can't be entirely confident of the report.

A more interesting report comes from John Gruber about his "guesses" for iPhone 3.0 from back at Macworld:
First, a new home screen app (a.k.a. SpringBoard), designed from the ground up for a system where users have a few dozen or more extra apps installed. Managing dozens of apps on the iPhone today is simply a pain in the ass. Second, maybe an answer to the question of where the background notification API is — you know, the one we were told at WWDC to expect a few months ago, but which we haven’t heard a word about since. And maybe — pretty please, Mr. Forstall, with sugar on top — copy and paste.
While Gruber labels this as his "wish list", we have good reason to believe that these features will indeed be found in the iPhone 3.0 firmware. That could mean a better app-managing SpringBoard (with categories?), a solution to "push" notifications (background tasks?), and, yes... even copy and paste.

Finally, there has been evidence in the latest version of Snow Leopard's CoreLocation framework (which is shared by the iPhone) that Apple is building in support for magnetometers, which could suggest the use of a digital compass in future devices, much like the Android G1.

Article Link: iPhone 3.0 to Get MMS, Tethering, and Finally... Copy and Paste?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
MMS & Tethering requires an entire new OS? Surely not. Still, bring it on! :)

Now bring on the kids moaning about lack of Copy/Paste :rolleyes:

mackensteff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Reason for event

Could this event be due to the fact that Apple has to submit the iPhone to the FCC for approval, and in doing so the 'secrets' may be spilt at anytime? This event, although a pre-announcement, allows apple to set the stage, instead of being upstaged when the info goes live on the FCC website.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
I know the lack of copy/paste is a PITA, but the lack of MMS is just embarrassing. AT&T's web based solution is also almost useless...

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
I hope for better app management. Flicking left or right repeatedly gets really annoying.

So will the third iphone be shown as well I wonder and what will it have (what will they call it?)

jlwillia

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Love it or hate it, MMS is needed.

Maybe someday everyone will have phones with access to e-mail. Now is not that time. We need MMS.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'll believe MMS and C&P when I see it. I have serious doubts. Doesn't look like there's much real proof here, either...

I DO believe we'll get tethering (at a high price), and possibly a new way to navigate the homescreens (but not customize them). Plus, the push notifications thing WILL be addressed. If not done the way they initially planned, then at least an all-new way that's maybe even better.

I'd be super happy if we just got more SMS stuff, like individual text deletion and forwarding. OMG - how radically that would change things for me...

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I was about to post "Despite the fact that this is basically everything everyone wants, I'm sure someone will still, somehow, find something to complain about," but I see I underestimated the posters of macrumors. :rolleyes:

yah, I posted too soon as well, I forgot, this is macrumors, the Ernest and Julio Gallo of online whineries...

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Nothing in the recent history of Apple's announcements about our beloved iPhone lead me to believe we'll be getting C&P or even MMS. I love my iPhone in spite of it's shortcomings, but I would welcome some very basic features finding there way to us so I'm a little less embarrassed when comparing my phone to my 12 year old's phone.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Not gonna switch back until they get HID.

But it's nice to know that they're finally adding the features most people are always asking about.

dam0dred

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
MMS, tethering... Wow, welcome to 2003! :p

I hope there is more up Apple's sleeve. The Pre hype train is starting to pick up speed and needs to be stopped. I'm excited for this event.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
If the new OS includes MMS and C&P, I', going to lose my lunch at how pathetic they are.

2 years of it being completely unnecessary and suddenly "OS 3.0" makes it all possible. Horrible.

Where are the real features? I don't want more 2002 cell phone crap

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Any news/rumors on what will be included for iPod touch users? Obviously, MMS won't make it to the iPod touch. I sure hope the other stuff does, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.