Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Hey all,

I've owned quite a few PBs and MBPs in my time, and I have to say this is the first time I was unhappy with an apple product (aside from my general disappointment with Apple's choice to force you to use a glossy screen). I hope that nobody gets offended with my rant, but I'm sure there are a lot of other people who feel the same way.

Right now, I own a 17" Santa Rosa MBP, but it has been in the shop a few times. It is my work horse. I do all my work with it, and all my play with it (ok, I'm going to admit I play World of Warcraft here lol). I have a clinic I'm teaching at the end of the month, and recently my battery started to swell. In addition to that, my touchpad stopped working. I got the touchpad fixed, but I'm still waiting on the delivery of the battery.

So, I started looking at the new MBPs. I can't really afford to have downtime. The first thing I couldn't handle on the new MBPs was the glossy screen. This is coming from someone who remembers the CRT days, when we used to buy anti-glare shields to avoid the glossiness (does anyone else see the irony here?). Whenever I look at a glossy screen, it gives me eye strain. My eyes alternate between focussing on the content of the screen, and the glare in the background. What was Apple thinking? Oh yeah, curb appeal so they can attract more customers.

Ok, so I found Techrestore who will swap out the glossy screens for $200. However, there are still some other issues I have. Firstly, the track pad is not pleasant to use. It's very "clunky" while my current MBP has a nice soft click to it. Similarly, the new black keyboards are very cheap and plastic in feel. I prefer the feel of my aluminum keyboard. Although it might use plastic keys as well, it feels softer somehow, and easier to type on. Lastly, I can't believe they didn't round the edges on the bodies. When I put my wrists on the body to type, the edge digs in to my skin which is completely uncomfortable. My santa rosa has a plastic piece that runs around the edges that makes it more comfortable. I feel that if I move my wrists side to side, I'm going to slit my wrists (maybe this is a feature enhancement for over-pressured sales execs? Just kidding.) Obviously all the designers wear long sleeved shirts, all the time.

I used to be proud of Apple for their designs, but lately I'm not so sure. Don't even get me started on why they dropped the firewire ports on the 13" Macbooks - probably to make more MB users switch to a MBP. Similarly they probably only offer the matte screen only on the 17" to get 15" users to upgrade to a 17". For the average user, paying $3000 to get a matte screen apple computer is a little crazy.

Thanks to all that listened. I hope that Apple fixes these issues for upcoming revisions. For now, I think I'm going to stick with my Santa Rosa.

James Cole

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
There will always always always be people that complain when change happens even for better... I know this I was in politics.

The only thing that in this case apple cares is that guys who dont like the change are a minimal %... which in this case I think it is...

I come from a santa rosa 17'' when this new MBP came out I loathe them... but I am beginning to like them a lot...

And I never really understood why people hate so much glossy screens I work in all environments and well... doesnt make a difference to me...

habubauza

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I agree with the OP, I have no idea what Apple is thinking. I was looking at the new unibody MBP's and for the life of me, I can't get past that glossy screen. Actually, it's not a glossy screen, it's a glassy screen. I know a lot of people say that they like it, and they got used to it. I think many people are just learning to "tolerate it". I mean the proof is, when Apple has refurbished previous generation MBP's with matte screens on their website, they almost always disappear immediately. On the other hand you look at a company like MacMall and they are still trying to unload glossy screen previous generation macbook pros. It's obvious, when people are spending that kind of money on a computer they don't want to have a mirror like quality on their screen.

Firewire? What's that all about? I have no idea why Apple would get rid of the FW 400 in the MBP's and Firewire altogether on the new unibody MB's. As though everyone who has Firewire devices and desire to use a Mac should just flip their devices on Ebay and try to find something else just because Apple said so. That doesn't even begin to make sense. OK so say Firewire is on it's way out. Why not make a gradual transition, after new technology is available and proven? I'll tell you why, it's because if you need firewire, Apple wanted to force you to pay for a more expensive Macbook Pro. Want a matte screen? Pay even more for a 17 anti-glare unibody Macbook Pro. See, Apple already drew their line in the sand and said they won't try to compete in the netbook market, because it is beneath them. So, they take a gamble and try to "force" Mac users to pay a premium for features that they have long come to expect as standard. Unfortunately, I don't think this plan is working out quite the way they wanted.

And one last thing, Apple needs to re-evaluate their relationship with Nvidia. Everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about.

jagr200

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
Dont bash it until you have spent a few hours straight on it. Greatest computer in the world. I cant put mine down. The design is amazing. Pad works EXCELLENT. And if you set the screen brightness it doesnt have glare at all. I do not have one complaint with this thing. Its amazing plain and simple.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That's why I went to Macmall and bought late 2008 15" MBP for $1450 after rebate. All shipped for no extra charge so I'm quite happy.
The new ones just don't fit me at all.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Dont bash it until you have spent a few hours straight on it. Greatest computer in the world. I cant put mine down. The design is amazing. Pad works EXCELLENT. And if you set the screen brightness it doesnt have glare at all. I do not have one complaint with this thing. Its amazing plain and simple.

Have you ever used an older one? I shouldn't have to have my screen on full brightness in order to reduce glare. I should have a non-glassy screen.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Amazing Design

The design on the computer is great, and the way that the trackpad feels and looks like glass is wonderful. However, there is one complaint, which is that the aluminum body of the computer gets scratched easily, and I prefer the old Titanium models, even though they weighted a ton.

sm0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Wellington, NZ
I love the design and build
Only complaint is only 2 usb ports, and the average resolution...
Otherwise its a beaut to use...

genmic

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Have you ever used an older one? I shouldn't have to have my screen on full brightness in order to reduce glare. I should have a non-glassy screen.

I completely agree - when people say, "Oh but if you just crank up the brightness, the screen is wonderful!" I think sure, if you want to burn your retinas and get 15 minutes of battery life. Once I put on an anti-glare film I realized how nice it was to only have to set the computer at 2-3 brightness and be able to use it in any light condition.

With that said, the unibody Macbook Pro is hands down the best computer on the market. Nothing for me even comes close, despite it's short-comings and quality issues.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Ok here's a stupid question... why did ya'll buy one if you had so many reasons why you didn't like it. Sheesh.

Oh and, yeah, take some time to get used to it. I got one too, and wasn't terribly fond of the keys on the keyboard, but I got used to it, and am trying to talk my boss into getting me a new mac keyboard for my computer at work. I really can't stand regular keyboards now. Especially the sploshy feel of some laptop keyboards.

Just my two cents, which is really all you're doing too :)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
you're over exaggerating everything from glossy screens to trackpad (not touchpad) to edges. I tried out the new MBPs and the glossy screens are way overrated. The touchpad is much nicer and bigger. The edges won't hurt you unless you move super fast and press super hard.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I felt the same about the screen. But when work finally got them in the lab, I spent my breaks and lunch for a week just playing with it (if anybody needed to use it to troubleshoot, I told them to f--- off...I kid!). I just think the glare is greatly over-exaggerated. I found that if there was too much glare, the light around was bright which offset the brightness of the screen which meant that it didn't really hurt my eyes. If the lighting was good, the screen could go down to 2 or even 1 brightness without no problem. I don't think people are making themselves like, most people probably found ways to make the glossy work for them which isn't a bad thing. As for the keyboard, again, first impressions was: "WTF". After using it, it's actually made my typing more accurate then when the keys were stuck together.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
its not like we're stating any facts here ppl. we are all just giving our opinions. the ppl who like it, like it. i can see where the other's are coming from to tho. they feel that apple cheated them into buying the most expensive computer if all they want is a non-glossy screen and a firewire port. that does really suck and none of us that like the new UMBP can change their minds. but thats the way the ball bounces sometimes. who knows maybe the next round of MBP's will all have matte screens and if you want a glossy option you will have to buy the really expensive one. then all the ppl (cause personally i dont care) that like the glossy screen will be ranting.

jeremybuff

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Asheville, NC
Not only to respond to this thread, but to other like threads as well... but am I the only one a bit tired of hearing about the glossy screen issue? Yes Apple should have offered the matte screen, but they don't. $200, which is a lot better than it could be, is all it takes to switch it out. Yes, yes I know that's $200 you shouldn't have to pay. I agree. But we all get the point here.

In all honesty, the only thing I slightly agree about with this post is the edge of the MBP digging into my wrists, but that's only when I am using the notebook while laying in my bed. When I am at my desk, it doesn't both me. That's something I believe they should absolutely fix.

The keyboard does not seem flimsy to me in the least bit. In fact, the MBP keyboard feels sturdier than the MB Air's, which I have used since mid-June 2008.

The performance from the MBP is great, and I have no problem with the screen. Granted, I only do medium photoshop and animation work, but I am able to look past the glare. If I were using the notebook outside, then the glare would be an issue.

This whole glare issue, though valid, has combined so many times, in so many different threads, that it's getting obnoxious.

To address the trackpad issue, all I can say is wth are you talking about? The pad is great, and the "click" takes some time to wear in.... don't you remember that from previous models? The gestures, esp. the 4 finger expose gesture, are amazing. The "33%" extra space on the trackpad really does help me, a lot.

The bottom line, and what gets to me the most, is the "I'm not proud of Apple anymore" crap. Don't buy the product, go buy a PC. The design is amazing, and the computer is one of the best on the market. There is simply no comparison to PCs. Your expectations are too high, and what I mean by that is that you expect for Apple to design a notebook just for you. Get used to the damn machine, it'll fit into your life perfectly. No harshness meant, really, it's just there is too much complaining on this forum and venting because you do not give yourself adequate time is bs.

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I had the older style MacBook Pro that you are describing, and I now have a UniBody MacBook Pro, so I can relate. When I saw the new design, I certainly thought that there were some major manufacturing process breakthroughs, and the result is a beauty to use. (I like the new glossy displays, but I miss the older, anti-glare ones also) I agree with the keys feeling cheap. After using this things since October, and only taking notes on it in class with the built in keyboard (I have an external keyboard at home) the dang space bar clearly has a worn spot on it. I know that might sound picky, but the old keys never looked old! I just ordered a Moshi Clearguard and quite frankly, I am not too fond of it so far. My speed of typing has greatly been reduced, and I think I am going to sell it soon. Great concept, and the thing looks awesome, but its not for me.

I also know what you are talking about with the sharp edges on your edge of your wrist-pad. When wearing long sleeve shirts, no biggie, but when short sleeved, better wear something.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not only to respond to this thread, but to other like threads as well... but am I the only one a bit tired of hearing about the glossy screen issue? Yes Apple should have offered the matte screen, but they don't. $200, which is a lot better than it could be, is all it takes to switch it out. Yes, yes I know that's $200 you shouldn't have to pay. I agree. But we all get the point here.

In all honesty, the only thing I slightly agree about with this post is the edge of the MBP digging into my wrists, but that's only when I am using the notebook while laying in my bed. When I am at my desk, it doesn't both me. That's something I believe they should absolutely fix.

The keyboard does not seem flimsy to me in the least bit. In fact, the MBP keyboard feels sturdier than the MB Air's, which I have used since mid-June 2008.

The performance from the MBP is great, and I have no problem with the screen. Granted, I only do medium photoshop and animation work, but I am able to look past the glare. If I were using the notebook outside, then the glare would be an issue.

This whole glare issue, though valid, has combined so many times, in so many different threads, that it's getting obnoxious.

To address the trackpad issue, all I can say is wth are you talking about? The pad is great, and the "click" takes some time to wear in.... don't you remember that from previous models? The gestures, esp. the 4 finger expose gesture, are amazing. The "33%" extra space on the trackpad really does help me, a lot.

The bottom line, and what gets to me the most, is the "I'm not proud of Apple anymore" crap. Don't buy the product, go buy a PC. The design is amazing, and the computer is one of the best on the market. There is simply no comparison to PCs. Your expectations are too high, and what I mean by that is that you expect for Apple to design a notebook just for you. Get used to the damn machine, it'll fit into your life perfectly. No harshness meant, really, it's just there is too much complaining on this forum and venting because you do not give yourself adequate time is bs.

What he said! :D (+1)

Maks

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
The bottom line, and what gets to me the most, is the "I'm not proud of Apple anymore" crap. Don't buy the product, go buy a PC. The design is amazing, and the computer is one of the best on the market. There is simply no comparison to PCs. Your expectations are too high, and what I mean by that is that you expect for Apple to design a notebook just for you. Get used to the damn machine, it'll fit into your life perfectly.
So he should get used to a ridiculous amount of glare on his screen just so he can own a Mac? There is a comparison to PCs...it's the same hardware you can get in a PC, the only difference is the OS and the case it comes in. Oh and the ridiculous amount of money Apple charges for simple HD/memory upgrades because most Mac users blindly hand over their wallets without question. It really amazes me how many Apple fanboys will defend the company no matter what they do.

The new MB/MBP screens are horrible for anyone who travels. I could make one of the new screens work at home; but I work at home, client sites, hotels, airports, all over. I've even run into situations with my Macbook Air where the glare causes slight problems, I can't imagine how many more problems I'd have with one of the new MB/MBP screens.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
So he should get used to a ridiculous amount of glare on his screen just so he can own a Mac? There is a comparison to PCs...it's the same hardware you can get in a PC, the only difference is the OS and the case it comes in. Oh and the ridiculous amount of money Apple charges for simple HD/memory upgrades because most Mac users blindly hand over their wallets without question. It really amazes me how many Apple fanboys will defend the company no matter what they do.

The new MB/MBP screens are horrible for anyone who travels. I could make one of the new screens work at home; but I work at home, client sites, hotels, airports, all over. I've even run into situations with my Macbook Air where the glare causes slight problems, I can't imagine how many more problems I'd have with one of the new MB/MBP screens.

Then again, this is a fanboi site. But he should straight up not buy it if he can't deal with the hardware. Simple as that.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

nobody is forcing us to get upgrades from apple, do it yourself for much cheaper. its what most of us "fanboys" do, because we are smart. no need for defending.

andrew upstairs

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2009
Downtown Los Angeles
This thread is fun.

To each his own.

I disagree with every single point in the OP.

As someone who travels. As someone who is an artist. As someone who does photography, video editing, and music production. As a user of PCs and/or Macs for the last 25 years or so.

I have to say that the new unibodies are the best computers I've ever used.

jagr200

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
I completely agree - when people say, "Oh but if you just crank up the brightness, the screen is wonderful!" I think sure, if you want to burn your retinas and get 15 minutes of battery life. Once I put on an anti-glare film I realized how nice it was to only have to set the computer at 2-3 brightness and be able to use it in any light condition.

With that said, the unibody Macbook Pro is hands down the best computer on the market. Nothing for me even comes close, despite it's short-comings and quality issues.

15 minutes of battery life?! I get about 7 hours with full brightness watching movies in the high graphics mode. So you cant complain about battery life. I dont need it at full brightness I just like it. The colors really pop that way.

My one complaint is the USB ports both being on the left hand side. I would like one on the right but its not a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.