Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some TV shows to start watching?

I feel like I'm running out of stuff to watch, and I'd really like to be introduced to some new shows.

The shows I current like are:

• Frasier
  • Will & Grace
  • The Simpsons
  • Family Guy
  • Lost
  • Fringe
  • Star Trek TNG, VOY and DS9
  • Friends

I sort of like 'House' but I find it a very shallow show (some what like CSI) with no real, deep, meaningful character development.

I dabbled with Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural for a while there, but it didn't keep me coming back for more :).

I'm not a fan of depressing, grungy action stuff, but mostly comedy and science fiction.

Ideally I'm looking for something that's still airing, and less than ten years old.

What do you recommend?

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Battlestar Galactica
Nip/Tuck
Gossip Girl (very funny and well-written, believe it or not)

I bought the first episode of Battlestar Galactica from iTunes... but I didn't follow what was going on. They were running away from these alien people every 52 minutes or something. Confusing!

Nip/Tuck does not appeal.

What is Gossip Girl about?

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some TV shows to start watching?

I feel like I'm running out of stuff to watch, and I'd really like to be introduced to some new shows.

The shows I current like are:

• Frasier
  • Will & Grace
  • The Simpsons
  • Family Guy
  • Lost
  • Fringe
  • Star Trek TNG, VOY and DS9
  • Friends

I sort of like 'House' but I find it a very shallow show (some what like CSI) with no real, deep, meaningful character development.

I dabbled with Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural for a while there, but it didn't keep me coming back for more :).

I'm not a fan of depressing, grungy action stuff, but mostly comedy and science fiction.

Ideally I'm looking for something that's still airing, and less than ten years old.

What do you recommend?

based on what you list, you might like

Burn notice
The mentalist
Psych
Life
Life on Mars

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
What about Dexter?

My partner has similar tastes as you seem to have (he loves Family Guy, Star Trek, Fringe, Simpsons, Lost) and ended up loving it.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
What is Gossip Girl about?

It's a completely silly show about wealthy teens in NYC and their shenanigans. It's also about their parents. It's bubble gum- but it's damn good, well-written, funny bubble gum. Even my elitist filmmaker friends watch it.

What about Dexter?

My partner has similar tastes as you seem to have (he loves Family Guy, Star Trek, Fringe, Simpsons, Lost) and ended up loving it.

Yes! Dexter is great!

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
BSG
Heroes
Lost

Get the first seasons (or all of them) via the library/Netflix and enjoy.

I've been going back to stuff on DVD now and I watch that more than regular TV.

xboxer75010

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
Carrollton, TX
Weeds

weedstv.jpg

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I'll give a second vote for Burn Notice and Psych.

You may also want to try:

How I Met Your Mother
Big Bang Theory (Hey, if we geeks need to make fun of ourselves!)
Stark Trek Enterprise (Not the best of the ST universe, but I like Scott Backula)

And, of course: Futurama! It has science fiction AND comedy!

iLao

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Slovenia
For me The best TV Show is Futurama. It has 4 seasons and 3 movies, 4th coming soon. Recommend it!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
My two three favorites:
  • LOST (Wednesdays at 9:00, ABC)
  • Brothers & Sisters (starring Sally Field; Sundays at 10:00, ABC)
  • House (Mondays, FOX)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
They've only aired one episode, but the new ABC series Castle, starring Nathan Fillion, was very well done. Of course, I'm a big fan of Capt. Tightpants, and he's basically the same irreverent smart@$$ character without a ship and a gun. YMMV

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
Big Bang Theory on Monday nights on CBS. It's 4 computer nerds with a hot neighbor chick. It is very funny.

yancey47

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
ShaunPriest lists his location as Omicron Persei 8 so I'm going to assume that he/she (probably he) has heard of Futurama.

I'm going to be recommending other people recommendations:

Comedy: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Tim and eric Awesome show Great job!

Dramady: Weeds

Drama: Dexter

although Dexter can be incredibly hilarious.

"you'll be coming with me alright... in a garbage bag."

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It's a completely silly show about wealthy teens in NYC and their shenanigans. It's also about their parents. It's bubble gum- but it's damn good, well-written, funny bubble gum. Even my elitist filmmaker friends watch it.

+1. I'm getting hold of season two tomorrow after I get back to the UK - I'm looking forward to it.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
BSG all the way

I second Battlestar Galactica. You need to give it a second chance though. By the sounds of it you bought the first episode of season 1 which means you've skipped the 2003 Mini-series.
Watch the mini-series and it will all make sense.
Amazing show......

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
For me The best TV Show is Futurama. It has 4 seasons and 3 movies, 4th coming soon. Recommend it!

I love Futurama, but I have been left disappointed by the movies.

My two three favorites:
  • LOST (Wednesdays at 9:00, ABC)
  • Brothers & Sisters (starring Sally Field; Sundays at 10:00, ABC)
  • House (Mondays, FOX)

I love LOST, it is currently one of my favourite shows.

House & Monk.

I find House far too repetitive.

2 and 1/2 men. A brother, divorced and with a son, moves in with his rich, womanizing brother. Very funny. Mondays at 9, 8 central.

This sounds very interesting - I'll try downloading a few episodes.

Dexter
Two and a Half Men
Criminal Minds

I also watch Entourage, Gossip Girl & The Office.

I'll have to download some Dexter too.

I second Battlestar Galactica. You need to give it a second chance though. By the sounds of it you bought the first episode of season 1 which means you've skipped the 2003 Mini-series.
Watch the mini-series and it will all make sense.
Amazing show......

Okay, I bought the first part of the mini-series from iTunes (this explains why I was confused watching the first episode of Season 1 of the TV show!)... there is something about this show which I just don't like. The space scenes are weird too! I am willing to watch the other 3 parts of the mini-series due to all the recommendations here. Does it get better?

chuckcalo

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
I wouldn't recommend How I met Your Mother at all, it's not even funny; sometimes they try to make a joke but it's not funny. Here are my recommendations:

- Family Guy
- Two And A Half Men (One of the best sitcoms shows I've ever seen)
- The Soup (Weekly show which makes fun of some of the tv's reality shows and hollywood gossip)
- Everybody Hates Chris (It's kind of entertaining when you have nothing to do)
- Fringe (Seems good so far, first episodes are interesting although I still have to catch up)
- The Mentalist (Tells us the story of how a Famous-Fake-TV Mentalist lost his daughter and his wife to a serial killer who hasn't been caught, he gets a job at the CBI playing as a Mentalist, a person who can read the mind and make you think things that you want them to think).
- CSI Las Vegas (Now that Grissom and Warrick are not there, the shows seems to be less boring, plus Lawrence Fishburne is the new star there (yes, that guy from Matrix).
- Heroes (You have to love watching a show where ordinary people have extraordinary abilities, it's not like a superheroes series it's more like you are in the kitchen and you discover that you can heal faster than anyone else, but then there are people who want to hunt you down because they think you're a menace for the nation). I like it a lot, some of the heroes can: travel through time, absorb powers, heal, read minds, super-charge your powers, talk to machines, etc.).
- The Hills (I'm just kidding, I hate The Hills).
- G's To Gents (From MTV, gathers 16 gangstas trying to turn them into Gentlemen. Is a reality show from MTV, I honestly hate realities but this one got my approval)

And that's about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.