Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
"Powerlogix announces 1GHz G3 CPU Upgrades for PB G3 Pismo, Beige/B&W G3/G4 PCI Yikes - Powerlogix has a press release today on two new CPU upgrades based on the IBM PowerPC 750 GX CPU with 1MB onchip L2 cache at speeds up to 1GHz. (Like the 750FX, the GX is also CPU speed adjustable via software.) Models for the PowerBook G3 2000 (aka pismo) and the Beige G3/B&W G3/G4 PCI Yikes were mentioned. The press release says they are available now. Prices noted are $399 for the Blue Chip G3 1.0 GHz Pismo and $349 for the PowerForce G3 1.0 GHz ZIF model."

full story: http://www.powerlogix.com/press/releases/2004/040405.html

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
I hope for the sake of anyone that buys one of these that they work much better than the 800 and 900 did. the few that worked were fine but many didn't. if you want proof just search the accelerate you mac cpu upgrade database.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
You're right, I read many horror stories of people who waited months for their upgrades after having paid for them, or even taken their old CPU out.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I was actually serious about getting this new upgrade for my Pismo. It really doesn't seem economical to me though. Why put a new engine in an old rusty car? I'd rather take that money and put it towards a new PM G5 (when the new ones come out).

I haven't heard horror stories but thanks for making me aware of them. I'm at college and I can't afford to be without my computer for over a week. Too work to get do.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Pismo said:
I was actually serious about getting this new upgrade for my Pismo. It really doesn't seem economical to me though. Why put a new engine in an old rusty car? I'd rather take that money and put it towards a new PM G5 (when the new ones come out).

I haven't heard horror stories but thanks for making me aware of them. I'm at college and I can't afford to be without my computer for over a week. Too work to get do.

the horror stories are only with the zif chips for powermacs, not the laptop chips. I hear what you're saying about upgrades not being worth it and such but they do suit a common market out there. that market is people with a 3-5 year old mac (desktop or laptop) that want or need a faster machine but can only afford to spend a fraction of what a new machine costs. this was me last november when I bought my G4/500 zif. my wedding was coming up and funds were tight. I spent 300 CDN rather than 1100-2500. it made my machine feel new again.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
It's not worth upgrading my Pismo because I want to get into video/photo editing. I want to get the G5 with a superdrive for those reasons. I also want to play games and my Pismo can't do any of those things (well).

My brother in law is going to be shooting his independent film this summer and I want to have a G5 by then to help him edit and burn it to DVD to send the film to studios and such. My Pismo can't do any of those things.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I haven't heard of horror stories on the 800 MHz upgrades and mine is perfectly stable in my blue and white G3. I'm glad that IBM has finally started to ship their new line. Having twice as much cache as the older upgrade should make it speedy too.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
most of the issues with them was they arrived DOA to the customer. a few also had issues where it would work for 8-14 hours or so then just stop working.

I have here a collection of some reports on these chips from accelerate your mac. all I have taken out of each review is the peoples names as they have only really consented to put their name on mikes site and not here.

Date Submitted: 3/15/2004
Rating (1 to 10): 1
Manufacturer: Powerlogix
Rated Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): G3 900
Max Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): 900
Cache Size: 512KB L2
Mac Type: B&W G3/350 w/1MB L2 Cache, DVD ROM drive
Comments: Just another update. (to previous report) Called them since it's been over two weeks and now they're saying another two to three weeks. Spoke to a manager and he said they simply don't have them, they weren't willing to give a refund, exchange for a G4/800 or anything. I think I'll contact the Better Business Bureau at this point.

Mike Comments: Sigh... I really hoped that PL would eventually improve things like this... personally i'd take the refund (if a full refund). (BTW -what date was your original report?)

Date Submitted: 2/24/2004
Rated Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): G3 900MHz
Max Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): 0 MHz
Cache Size: 512KB L2 (onchip)
Mac Type: B/W 400MHz
Comments: This has been a terrible experience and I would warn everyone about OWC and PowerLogix. I've been through 3 CPU, and none of which have worked. OWC won't give me my money back as it's after 30 days. PowerLogix has switched from Waypoint Distribution as their support provider and is now doing it themselves. Apparently PowerLogix is swamped with support calls and can't seem to help people right now.

Wish I'd read these boards first and I also wish I'd saved my money. BTW they don't pay for your shipping! This is a very expensive proposition and very frustrating to say the least. Beware OWC and PowerLogix. You have been warned!

(On Feb. 27th, 2004 he posted an update)

BTW I got an email saying that PowerLogix is two weeks away from getting more of the CPUs. If you've noticed, OWC has none available. It will be over two months since I've been dealing with this problem. What a mess. If I'd have knows it was going to be so bad I would have gone to the track and bet $350. Even if I had lost, I would have at least gotten some enjoyment from my money.

Mike Comments: (my comments to the original report follow)
Powerlogix RMA's (returns) were handled exclusively by waypoint since last fall (noted here before last spring - dealers like OWC could not handle support/returns for PL products) - but I heard recently that waypoint is no longer doing warrany/support for PL, so owners have to deal direct with Powerlogix. Good luck with getting some help there.. and sorry this happened. Not everyone has reported a problem with these but some have (In my review early in 2003 of an early production G3/800 PL model I noted two that did not boot in my B&W - a 3rd did (revised design from the first 2). I had hoped they would get this squared away by now...
BTW - most companies do not pay for return shipping even on defective upgrade related products (I had to pay for shipping on warranty service for my Sony monitor, returning 2 defective (DOA out of the box) IBM hard drives from new egg, etc. And if you read the terms at most seller websites, most parts/upgrade manufacturers do not pay for even warranty related return shipping.)

I assume all ZIFs tested were fully seated, jumper settings set correctly for a 100MHz bus system, heatsink clip on correctly (bend over the CPU side of the ZIF for proper cooling, gasket on HS in good shape and clean, etc.). But if the ZIF was defective that won't help...

Date Submitted: 2/20/2004
Rated Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): G3 900
Max Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): 900
Cache Size: 512KB
Mac Type: B&W G3/350 w/1MB L2 Cache and DVD drive
Comments: When I got it it simply didn't work. I tried the usual of removing everything from the motherboard but RAM (which I tried different sticks of) to avoid interference. Did the usual business with CUDA and PRAM (resets). I was able to get it to boot after yaking power to the mobo for a 1/2 hour but it kept trashing my data to the point I had to get an up-to-date copy of DiskWarrior to undo the mess but even that was futile as DW reported the data to be truely thrashed. I did even reinstall the OS twice just to make sure but after a bit it hard-ocked and wouldn't boot at all. Back to the stock CPU and all is well if slow. I've been trying to get it RMA'd but PowerLogix has the worst sales and support department of any company I've ever encountered. No one answers the phone or returns phone calls over there and of course OWC refuses to take it back citing PL's policy.

(On Feb. 2nd he posted updated comments)

Just an update. I see that someone who bought a G4 800 was told by PL that they're out of stock for two weeks. After I got back from a trip I decided to call and I was told they're also "unexpectedly" out of stock for at least three weeks. Also, someone posted that OWC takes back defective PL stock within 30 days. I was told by OWC that this is not true for PL so now I'm getting peeved at OWC since they can't seem to keep their story straight either.

Mike Comments: For more than a year I heard that only waypoint could deal with PL returns/RMAs, etc. (not the dealer), but a few weeks ago waypoint stopped doing support for PL and now owners have to deal with PL direct. (I saw one mail from Larry at OWC on one specific sale/model of PL upgrade (not this one) where they were offering a warranty (not PL), but that was a special (single) case as far as I know. I don't know what happened to PL... but it's been a nighmare for some owners. (noted in some past reports here also from bluechip upgrade owners, dual G4 upgrade owners, etc.)

(my comments to the original post follow)
Good luck with PL (and sorry for the problems).
I assume the switches were set correction and the heatsink clip was installed with the bend (pressure point) over the CPU side of the ZIF (for proper cpu cooling, if installed reversed the CPU runs hotter). Also if the stock HS thermal pad is is bad shape, removing it (with a soft tool that will not scratch the heatsink - like wood or plastic) and apply a small amount of good thermal paste to the contact area. (But this may be some other problem like a bad ZIF)

Date Submitted: 1/27/2004
Rated Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): G3/900
Max Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): N/A
Cache Size: 512KB onchip L2
Mac Type: B&W G3/400
Comments: Well, I wish I were typing about the joys of 900 MHz, but I can't since the thing died; luckily it didn't take my computer with it. I took several boots/cuda resets/zaps of PRAM to get it running, and it was pretty fast when it ran, but as I was putting the OEM CPU on a new XLR8 carrier card, and into an 8500 it fell asleep and wouldn't wake up. I started running speed tests after I forced a restart, but it froze during a Photoshop filter, and that was all for this upgrade. I tried restarting it several times with no luck, then opened it up to reset the CUDA chip, but still there was no response, no start-up chime.

I wonder what the failure rate of this upgrade is? I know there are many negative reports here on xlr8yourmac, but I can't believe it's that high.

Mike Comments: I'd contact Powerlogix Tech support.

Date Submitted: 1/20/2004
Rated Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): G3/900
Max Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): doesn't run
Cache Size: 512KB L2 onchip
Mac Type: B&W G3/350
Comments: the first Powerlogix CPU I bought from OWC gave 5 chimes and then would not boot. OWC made me do my exchange through Powerlogix, who sent a replacement CPU. It also gave 5 chimes and would not boot. This product is a lemon, I would advise anyone to steer clear of it.

Mike Comments: per an old Apple kbase doc info in the FAQ here - 5 beeps at boot means a bad ROM checksum for the boot block.

Date Submitted: 1/6/2004
Rated Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): G3 900MHz
Max Speed (CPU/Cache MHz): Doesn't run
Cache Size: Doesn't run
Mac Type: B&W G3/400MHz rev. 1
Comments: I bought the 900MHz Powerlogix upgrade from OWC. It arrived, I installed it and all it would do is beep so clearly it was dead. I called OWC and they said they couldn't help me. (as noted early in 2003 - PL requires all RMA's, returns, etc. to be handled by them (or Waypoint, their distributor), not the dealer) So I called Powerlogix and they told me to return it to them. I sent it overnight.

Two weeks later after calling them every day for two weeks they told me that it was dead and that they would send me a new CPU. Brilliant.

It's been three weeks now and I still don't have the replacement CPU. I will never buy anything again from OWC because of their complete lack of service. I will never buy anything with the name Powerlogix on it as they are clearly amateurs and do not care about those who buy their products.

When I get the CPU, or "if" I get it, I will sell it and my old B/W immediately. This is just not worth the effort.
Beware of these people.

Mike Comments: Again Powerlogix requires RMAs, etc. to be handled directly not by dealers. Sorry about the problems (many of the past reports here from PL products have not been positive... I hope they get things squared away...)

hope this helps you understand what I mean.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
just to update this thread it appears that the new 1GHz upgrades run well. I have read a couple reviews and seen a couple xbech scores. a 1ghz zif in a blue and white scored 75 in xbench. not too shabby. great thing about this upgrade is it leaves the blue and white bus at 100mhz unlike the sonnet G4 700+ upgrades.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
i'll tell you what - i just got out of the land of beige, and the 700 i spent on a refurb emac, well, i haven't stopped to look back... upgrading can be nice if you have a reason for keeping the machine, but at 400 bucks, you're already more than half of the way to an emac. i know, doesn't work for everyone, but still... very very nice.

matt

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Now, if they'd just offer an upgrade path from my G3/800 upgrade, I'd be set. I don't think that I would mind another $150-$200 after what I've already paid, but $400 is too much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.