Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Since the new patch my wired connections seems slower than my wireless.

Set up Summary.
16MB Comcast Blast Cable Service+Modem plugged into Air Port Extreme (~8 months old version)
Early 2008 Mac Pro wireless to the base station (screaming speed).

two ports hard wired in the walls of the house to Xbox 360.
APE-->wall-->house--->wall--->3 foot patch to Xbox 360.

I would expect that to be the most robust connection. ANd until lately, it has been fine (I think I have played more than normal in the last few weeks)

I just hard wired the lap top to XBOX port and the DSLReport.com tests were all over the map. from really fast to really slow. Tried both cables - similar results. from 1-2MB to 22MB (currently I was thinking their site was acting up)

But I see this effect of fast and slow on XBOX Live. I would love to blame Microsoft... any advice is there a way to verify the port speed and make sure the APE known I want those ports to suck lots of band width?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

George

MarkSTi04

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2008
Illinois Side of St. Louis, MO
Hmm thats kind of strange. Wireless should be slower than wired if your running on Gigabit ethernet. My X-Box 360 is connected right to the AE with a Cat6A patch cable and I dont have any problems with it. I will say that I did have to go back to the 7.3.2 firmware because 7.4.1 didn't let the wireless work right from the AE. All is well except for the message that tells me I need to update the firmware and the flashing yellow light on the base station. It's still working just fine. Apple just needs to fix there patch..... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.